“Missing the big picture”
Review of Douglas House

and 1 more site!
Douglas House
Ranked #31 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Missing the big picture”
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I really love the location of the Douglas House. The staff is also very friendly and accommodating. However, I have to say that when staying at a hotel, most people will judge a place by the comfort of its beds and the shower heads. Both of these things are severely lacking here. Granted I invested a nice amount of money in my own personal mattress so I am a bit spoiled but it was not only the mattress. The pillows were also cheep/uncomfortable as well as the quality of the sheets. I stayed there 5 nights. I only asked for room service one time during that stay and the bed linens were not changed. I would normally be okay with this, however, I found some little bugs in the bed. I am sure the very accommodating staff would have helped me if I complained. I just don't like to complain. It sets off my mood on what is suppose to be a relaxing/fun vacation. Douglas House...please consider upgrading your beds and sheets. I love the location, the views, the nice porches, just about everything but I would not choose to stay there for an extended period of time again because not once did I get a good night's sleep. Also, the rooms really need to be detail cleaned after each stay. I found food on and in the couch which probably led to the little bug problem that I experienced. Darn things ruined a wrapped cookie I had on the counter in less that 4 hours.

1 Thank mjb2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Harrison Township, Michigan
Reviewed November 24, 2010

The location is great. The Rum Bar is right across the street and they are really nice there. The pool is perfect. Everyone is very nice. Everyone in the office was helpful. Breakfast conisits of mini muffins, toast (very good bread), cereal, coffee, and juice. You don't need much more. The rooms were clean and decorated nicely. I would stay here again for sure.

Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Our stay at The Douglas House was awesome, the staff was very friendly and courteous, the room were clean and comfortable, the pool and sitting areas were surrounded by beautiful landscaping. The continental breakfast had only a few items, but we had a full kitchen and cooked our own meals . I would definately recommend The Douglas House to my friends and family.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Rogers
Reviewed November 20, 2010

My husband & I arrived in Key West a day early and couldn't get into the room we had reserved at the Speakeasy Inn until the following night. Speakeasy suggested we try the Douglas house because it was so close to their place, thought it would be easier move for us the next day, to just move over to the speakeasy. My initial reaction at Douglas House was YUCK, what a nasty little place. We checked in and went over to the Speakeasy Rum Bar to hang out, just to stay out of the room we had just checked into at the Douglas House. It has alot of steep stairs to haul our luggage up, then the room was moldy smelling, carpet was sooo nasty looking, and the bedroom was very rundown looking, had a very cheap and worn comforter and bedskirt that must have been about 5 years old. This unit has a pull out sofa, sleeps 4, but there were only 2 pillows, very flat and worn, in the room. This place reminded me of an OLD building in a run down area of town that they were renting rooms out of. There was a window air conditioner right beside our bed that was very noisy. Could not adjust the ceiling fans as they had very high ceilings and couldn't reach them. The shower was barely big enough for 1, and there was NO water pressure to speak of. They have remodeled this room somewhat, the bathroom floor and the kitchen area wasn't too bad. There was a nice big porch with adirondecks on it that you could sit and relax on. The blinds in the living room were bent and broken in several spots. The pool area was the only thing that wasn't too bad here. We paid around $110. for one night here, it wasn't worth it. After they checked us in and got our money, the desk clerk closed up the office, so it's a good thing we didn't need anything or have any problems in the night. I would never stay here again. We checked out and went over 1/2 block to the Speakeasy Inn the next morning. WOW! What a difference and for about $10 less even. We LOVED the Speakeasy Inn. John made us feel like old friends and the rooms were great. I told John he shouldn't EVER send anyone over to Douglas House again, very nasty. Check around and find somewhere to stay besides here, they need to do alot of work to this place to bring it up to par. Try the Speakeasy Inn first. Loved staying at their place.

2 Thank seachelleRogers
Galveston Island, TX
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We loved it. We had a nice little condo with a big veranda full of comfy chairs. We could sit out and enjoy the quiet neighborhood, or we could walk to the corner and be on Duval Street. We had quite a few people from our group staying at Douglas House. I loved that each unit was unigue. The garden and pool area were great for morning gatherings before heading out to all of the weekend parties and events. We come to Key West every year, this is the first time we have stayed at Douglas House and we will definately be staying here again. The staff was wonderful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank oceanlady69
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Douglas House for the past 15 years. We highly recommend the Douglas House, which have several different types of rooms to choose from with different ammenities.. The price is great! The rooms are immaculate as well as the outsiide pool, which is absolutely peaceful and relaxing. The owner and staff are MORE than accommodating to one's needs. It's located on the quieter side of town, which is perfect for us. We're up to a 3 week stay at a time there and enjoy every day at the Douglas House!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Seminole, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2010

We had the best time, and the best service at the Douglas House. The staff was very accommadating.It was close enough to the parting, yet far enough from all the noise and partying. I don't know who wrote the review that the pool was salt water and the spa turned their suits was wrong. The pool was fresh water and the spa was wonderful.Our room was the Palmetto Palm which was very spacious and comfortable. Floyd and Kevin you are the best....THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING OUR 25 TH ANNIVERSARY A VERY SPECIAL WEEK IN OUR LIVES...DIANE AND JERRY OSBERG....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple