“So so - probably better around”
Review of Douglas House

Douglas House
Ranked #29 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Booked for one night only so my review needs to be seen in that context! Room was across the street in an attractive building. I feel if bedding quality was improved, the inn would have a more upmarket feel. Location is great & parking a bonus. Small pool is a treat too. Be sure to negotiate on your rate. Staff seem slightly indifferent which is a pity.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkBarnes

Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at Douglas House for three days in August. It was a quiet resting place between moments of insanity in Key West. The management showed flexibility in moving our rooms back a few days due to the Key West Ferry's inabilility to deliver us in a hurricane. They also were able to give us an extra room when my 6'4" son balked at sleeping another night on a hide a bed! The rooms we had were spotless, the pool/gardens were tranquil and the staff very professional. Douglas House will be my destination anytime I am in Key West. They are very close to everything on Duval Street with out all the noise. Lovely

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank ontheroadrobin
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Two Couples traveling together, we had a one night stay in Key West, booked the rooms along the way at a roadside Tourist Center. The price was right, we were a little skeptical of what we would wind up with. We were pleasantly surprised - the Douglas House staff was very helpful & friendly (there are a number of rules that they make you aware of at check-in, additional fees for lost keys, things like that - but then you can't say you didn't know). The rooms were spotless and comfortable, very nicely decorated, lots of space and the garden/pool area was absolutely lovely-beautiful plantings, fountains, fish in a pond. The continental breakfast was fine - coffee, tea, yogurt, toast, muffins - the same as at any other B&B that doesn't have a cooked breakfast. There are so many restaurants & bars within walking distance-as well as the major tourist spots. Wish we had more than one night. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I wan't expecting too much having stayed at some great B&Bs in the past (La Mer, Dewey house, Banyan etc).
Some of the previous reviews let me think we might encounter a few problems.

OK I am very picky and let me say our accomodations were
immaculate, spacious and everyone was very welcoming!

Who cares they don't have a great breakfast! Do you really go for the breakfast? There were 3 restaurants within 5 minutes walking for breakfast.

I prefer clean, tastefully decorated, well landscaped, no mildew smelling b and bs and thats what we got! And we paid $139 for each night! WHOOHOO!

This place gets a 5 star from us and you bet we'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank enoughboats
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Just got back from the Douglas House after having a weekend getaway in Key West. We have stayed at this property before and it is truly the way to go. The staff was very kind and went above and beyond for us, making all arrangements needed. The rooms were fantastic. Large, clean, comfy--almost as if we had our own apartment by Duvel Street, living room, bedroom, and kitchen included! Great pool in back with a garden surrounding you. Light breakfast is served in the mornings and you are a short walk to the main attractions. I can't think of anything negative to say about this place. If your headed to Key West--book it!

K, Florida

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Kamba
Reviewed July 28, 2007

This place was awesome! My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights and had an amazing time. We booked through the douglas house but actually stayed in one of the rooms across the street called casa de luces. We were directly across from the douglas house and still had access to the pool/hot tub/breakfast. At first we were a little reluctant to be staying across the street, but even that place was very nice! I am very picky about where I will stay, and I was not the least bit disappointed. It is also in a great location, right off of duval street and within walking distance to everything!! (we had a rental car and it sat in the free parking lot most of the time). Go parasailing at smathers beach(incredible experience and cheap!) Also, the staff wasn't as bad as these other people are saying.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 7, 2007

My husband had booked our trip to Key West staying at the Douglas House. After I did some reviews on the web including this site, I did not originally want to stay at the Douglas House. Boy was I surprised when I checked in and the staff was not rude as some have expressed here. I had a gentleman who gave both my husband and me a tour of the grounds. The rooms were quaint. Yes, it wasn't Egyptian Sateen Sheets as some has pointed out; however, it was a cute setup. The hotel was like an upscale bed and breakfast without the hefty price tag. After our tour, the gentlemen pointed out what sites would interest us and made the reservations for us. He even carried our bags to our room.

Our time there was so great, that we extended our plans and stayed longer. Since we did not have reservations, the staff gave us a suite at the same price as our original room. They also moved our luggage for us. I can’t speak for other people experiences but I can for my own. I did not find bugs, I did not find mold. Everything was clean, the staff was friendly, the price was affordable, and the location could not be beat. As for the continental breakfast; it was just that a continental breakfast. Yes, I hate continental breakfasts but all but the most upscale places serve them. However, the atmosphere by the pool made it very enjoyable.

So if you are looking for a great value so you can spend your money on the souvenirs, food and entertainment Key West has to offer, I would recommend this place very highly! 

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple