Douglas House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
La Te Da Hotel(Key West)
Orchid Key Inn(Key West)
  • Breakfast included
Almond Tree Inn(Key West)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspalm roomduval streetcuban clubpool areasmall poolsouthernmost pointfull kitchenliving roomquiet endrum baroff street parkingla te dafront porchhemingway houseceiling fanbed and breakfastthe room was nice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Staff was really nice and very helpful, but the room (travelers palm)was not quite what I had in mind .The small bathroom had no vanity top or place to put any make-up or hair dryer, curling iron, etc. no tub, only a small stand up shower. The only air conditioner was in the bedroom beside the bed... which meant I had to freeze and wake up with a sore throat in order for my son an his friend that was on the pull out in the living room to be comfortable and cool. The pool was T-tiny. Now that said, the place was very clean and well kept, and as I said the staff was great, and we still had a super good time in Key West.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank angiec386
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at the Douglas House in July 2009, room 102D, at $219 a night this room was a complete rip off. The carpet was filthy, smelled of cat. I was charged a "pet cleaning fee" although I don’t know what for because it doesn't seem as if it’s been thoroughly cleaned in years. There were roaches in the bathroom, as well as in the kitchen. The ice-dispenser in the refrigerator wasn’t working. The sink in the bathroom upstairs was corroded with rust. The décor left a lot to be desired, nothing matched and there wasn’t a cohesive theme. They couldn’t even finish painting, there are plenty of areas that have spots or have been painted around the furniture. Even though this is one of few hotels that allow pets on Duval, I would have rather left my dog at home and paid a sitter. Housekeeping consists of throwing a bag of towels by the front door, bewarned. And to add insult to injury the staff acted as if they were running a five-star hotel. They need to get their act together. They don't have the decency or courtesy to respond to emails of concerns or complaints.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tardzan
Reviewed July 25, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and it was well worth the money. The hotel was a bit less expensive than the others and at the end of Duval so it is quieter. It is a 1 mile walk to the pier and Mallory Square so rent a bike or enjoy walking. We walked every where 2 times in one day to Sebago and it was very doable. The staff was nice although not always around , they would usually show up shortly and was always nice. worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Simone K
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed here for a long 3 day weekend in June and walked from ferry terminal not realizing how far a walk it was! Definitely not in town! It's about blocks from Sloppy Joes and we lost 2lbs that weekend.
The front desk help was barely helpful, we asked where the best happy hour in town was and she told us "I don't get to go to happy hour that often." That was the end of the conversation.
We stayed in room 5, not the one I asked for and reserved online. It was the Traveller's Palm and it is really in need of an update. I thought all weekend it was dirty but in actuality it was just really old and rundown.
If you wanted to be closer to the beach this was a great location.
The breakfast in the morning consisted of toast and mini muffins so don't bother setting your alarm.
Overall, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Depplep
Reviewed June 24, 2009

To get the most important thing out of the way first, I read reviews talking about a lazy or rude staff. I was very mindful of that, nothing ruins a stay more than pissy hotel staff.
The front desk clerks couldn't have been more friendly and accomodating. I spoke with Floyd when I booked the room and he also took care of us when we arrived. We got there a little bit early and our room was almost ready. They offered to watch our bags while we went and rented bikes. Before we were even rented we received a call that our room was ready. Floyd gave us a complete tour of the property and it's a nice Key West B&B, nice gardens in the back and I like the fact that a lot of the rooms are upstairs and you have a nice patio to relax and look out above the street and gardens. The grounds are nice and clean, the pool is a bit small but there are plenty of places to swim throughout Key West, not an issue. The rooms are definitely unique, no two are the same. The decor and everything is a bit old, but hello- it's Key West. If you don't understand then you probably don't get Key West anyways. There are nicer B&B's yes- but for my budget this place was perfect, and I don't have any complaints. The staff did everything they could to accomodate us and to me that makes a bigger difference. We especially liked the Palmetto Palm suite, it's the one above the lobby. The bathroom and main living room had been re-done and it had it's own private balcony. The neighborhood is safe and just off Duval on the south side, so close to pretty much everything. We didn't even check out the breakfast so not sure about that but I do know that Blue Heaven is a breakfast spot worth checking out, for sure. When we switched rooms because I only booked one night and we decided to stay another, the staff moved our belongings for us while we were out. It definitely made us feel welcome and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple