“Loved this B&B”

and 1 more site!
Douglas House
Ranked #29 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed 2 nights in the coconut palm room. I've read that two other reviewers stayed in this room and found it to be different than the pictures shown, but from the pic I saw it was exactly what was advertised. Could be that they updated the pic recently.
The only issues that were somewhat troublesome was having to park our car in a lot a block or so away, and the non fuctioning freezer in our room. Other than that, all was good. It was quiet at night and we were able to get the hot tub to ourselves because no one else was out there!
We especially loved the location and walked everywhere we wanted to go. Mallory square was a little bit of a longer walk so make sure you wear comfy shoes. Skip the free breakfast and walk to camille's for an awesome breakfast!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Evenwilderthings

Reviewed July 5, 2008

The online pictures are very deceiving for the Coconut Palm Suite. The bedroom would have been fine if they didn't try and squeeze a loft above the space. The stair to the loft was more like a ladder and not to mention a total code violation. The loft had no head room, so you had to duck in the space. If you are handicapped, forget about it. No handicapp accessibility ramps or rooms that accommodate.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank denise4747
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Douglas House was nice. We were shown the room to make sure we liked it before they checked us in. Big room with kitchen, sitting area, and bedroom. Nice high ceilings painted pink with ceiling fans. Old time charm. Pool was tiny and the continental breakfast wasn't anything special, but the location was just off Duval Street and about a mile from Mallory Square which made for a nice walk to see the sunset. Grounds were very well kept and the staff was friendly except for one bald guy. Still a nice place to stay. NOTE: The tourist informations center outside Key West was a business that gets fees from hotels for sending people there. There are more hotels than they have on their list.

2  Thank PelicanBay
Reviewed May 23, 2008

This was our 8th trip to Key West and I'm glad it wasn't our first. We have stayed at other inns before and also at a larger hotel on previous trips. Had this been our first trip to Key West I think we would have been a little turned off upon our first impression with our room at Douglas House.

Our stay at Douglas House was May 9-13. Had booked after finding their site and after carefully studying all of the pics we booked the Coconut Palm room. I knew it was second floor and the large balcony faced the street. I was certain to get a second floor room because I didn't want to take the chance of being able to hear people above us.

Check in was fast and efficient. We were given a short tour of the property while being taken to our room. I was surprised by the size of the pool. Even though I knew from previous reviews and from the website that it would be small, it was REALLY tiny. There are not a lot of lounge chairs and the sun doesn't hit all areas of the pool all day. The grounds however, are very clean and well maintained.

Our room had a loft with a queen bed and a queen bed on the main level. The ladder/stairs to the loft is very steep. The bed and bedding had definitely seen better days but to be honest, we didn't notice after our late nights. The room was very clean but could be spruced up a bit.

We spent a lot of time on the balcony relaxing enjoying the beautiful weather. I would say that made up for any initial disappointment with the room. I agree with the person who said that the website certainly makes Douglas House appear to be a little more "fancy" than it is in reality.

Location for us was perfect. We parked the car and walked the entire time we were in Key West. It was quiet at night. Didn't try the breakfast.

Bottom line: I would stay there again if I could get the same room but, I will probably look elsewhere next year.

4  Thank KRW39
Reviewed May 20, 2008

A group of us stayed at the Douglas House and really enjoyed ourselves. It is a little further from all the action than some people would like, but it made it more peaceful at times also. The rooms were very clean, as well as the grounds.

We found the staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful with suggesting activities and places to visit.

The bedding is older and not very comfortable, could use an update. But the room we were in was spacious and had a great pool view. Loved the pool and garden areas also, they were very tranquil and charming.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BuckiNut76
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Their web site gives an impression of serenity and exclusivity, but we found it to be a fairly average busy guest house with only a few touches to set it apart from the rest.

Our room was very, very spacious and well equipped but, being located literally a couple of metres away from the pool, we had to keep the air conditioning fan on maximum to drown out the noise! I know we had only ourselves to blame for this, as the room was described as 'poolside' - I just didn't anticipate how close it would be. I imagine other rooms in the property would have been much quieter and more secluded.

The grounds were beautiful and very well designed to make full use of a small space and create many private seating areas with foliage and ponds throughout. It was a lovely start to the day to pick up breakfast from the pool-side bar and take it to a spot in the garden to enjoy. We had seen reviews criticising the breakfast here, but we found it to be quite good - definitely good enough to set us up for the day.

We stayed for two nights and, by the time we were leaving, I had grown to like Douglas House more than my initial impressions. I think their web-site designer should be given an award for making this hotel appear so good on-line!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2008

My real only complain is that the bedding is very tired! I did not sleep very well there, mostly because I wasn't comfortable. This is in direct opposition to the rest of the grounds and house.

The room we had was gorgeous, spacious, comfortable and VERY clean. I was surpised at how large it was. We had a nice kitchenette, recently remodeled and attractive. There was a bar under the stairs from a next-door establishment and I never once heard them. The place is right outside the craziness of Duval street but close enough that I parked our rental car in the lot one block down and didn't see it again for 2 days.

The locals in the area sit outside and drink beer all day, they're very friendly and apparently harmless, I never felt unsafe near our hotel (mostly anywhere in KW at that).

The pool was immaculate, very pretty, and tiny, but it was always empty and we usually had the hot tub to ourselves too. The owner was friendly as well.

continental breakfast was awful, don't waste your time, not that I normally do...there are way too many great restaurants within walking distance to bother with something so trivial anyway. The tip jar was laughable.

all in all it was really nice, a unique experience, and I probably would stay there again. Very minor changes would make for a huge improvement and the owner could probably massage his rates up a bit too with said improvements.

1  Thank thefirebuilds