“Douglas House”

Ranked #32 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Douglas House”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Lovely group of cottages/rooms. The garden & pool area is just gorgeous. Although there is no breakfast served, there are many great restaurants very close by that offer breakfast. Will book there again on our next trip to the Keys for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I wrote the following to the Douglas House and have not had a response yet:

I wanted to write you an email before I post anything to TripAdvisor or any other websites to give you the opportunity to address the issues that we had with our stay. The property and grounds were nice, classic Key West, older hotel style in a great location. The staff were nice and fairly attentive. The grounds were clean enough especially for Key West and the pool area was really nice. However, we stayed in Room L7 in the Casa De Luces building and that was not a good experience. First of all, no one told us the room next door was under construction, which isn’t a big deal, but during the day it was fairly loud. The bigger deal was that we think the construction may have caused the “scorpion incident” as I would like to refer to it. Friday, July 20th they were working next door which woke us up. Then my husband was getting ready on the left side of the bed by the closet and was bit by a scorpion. He killed it with a shoe. We had the staff come remove it and later a friend staying in another building with expertise in this area asked to see it and thought that it was likely a bark scorpion. We asked what to do and the staff gave us the number of the local urgent care clinic, but we ended up having to go there immediately due to the side effects that my husband was feeling. We were never offered anything as consolation or an option to change rooms. Secondly, we got home that night and there was a roach on the counter. Thirdly, the room was extremely damp. The A/C was running just fine albeit louder than anything that is tolerable and consistently woke us up, but at least it worked. However, the last night (Saturday, July 21st) when it rained we woke up feeling wet in our beds. There seemed to be evidence of previous water damage in the bathroom and ceiling that was repaired, but the room was freshly painted, so we didn’t see anything dripping on us. Fourthly, the majority of the blinds were broken in some place. In fact the front door had an opaque covering where the handle was, which was fine, but the bedroom blind was completely broken and attached with hooks that kept falling or sliding to the side. Fifthly, the duvet did not have a cover, the sheets didn’t seem to fit, the box spring didn’t have a cover at all, the “queen” bed was really a “full” bed, and the bed was horribly lumpy and uncomfortable. The room looks nice at first glance, but appears to have some pest control, maintenance, and moisture problems. We’ve stayed in Key West every year for 8 years now in different places and have never had issues like this. I love places that are local and on the south side of Duval, but at this point I wouldn’t recommend your establishment. I really hope that this information will be helpful to you for your future guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the other buildings. The main building is great, but the others, not so much.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SEKinney
DouglasHouseKW, Manager at Douglas House, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Sent 7/26/12 9:22am Dear Stephanie,

We received your email and I am very sorry to hear that you are the first “known” guest of the Douglas House to have been stung by one of our island’s many scorpions. As a native, I have had several harrowing close calls. In fact, it’s beyond me how I haven’t been stung over the years. Normally, a sting from one of our island’s scorpions simply results in a little burning fatigue, but for certain people, the effects are magnified somewhat. In any event, I do apologize for the inconvenience, and while this unfortunate action is out of our control, we would like to offer you two complimentary nights at the Douglas House (excluding special events).

As for the other issues outlined in your email, I do apologize for the construction. We would have gladly moved you to another room/suite, but we were full to capacity. And we have no control over the construction, as each of the units in the La Casa building where you stayed are individually owned. We just manage a few of the units it that building.

Finally, no disrespect intended, however, we do live in the tropics. The humidity in the summer can reach high levels where everything feels damp. We do have insects, and occasionally roaches, ants & scorpions do move around, especially after very heavy rains. Again, these issues are out of our control. We do have an exterminator treat our buildings inside and out monthly.

As for the air conditioner and the mattress in the room, I will investigate this myself and replace the mattress and AC if necessary.

Again, please accept our apologies. Should you wish to write your comments on Trip-Advisor, then so be it. I cannot prevent you from doing so, no more than I can prevent a scorpion from crawling into my own house at night. I do hope, however, you will accept our apologies and the two complimentary nights and come visit us again.

RM
Owner Douglas House
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Located on the nicer quieter part of Duval street. Lovely little garden, genuine and cozy rooms. Douglas, the owner, is a nice, chatty guy.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I loved our stay at Douglas. Everyone was so nice and the room was beautiful. The gardens and pool were wonderful. We will definitely stay here again.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hi, this is nice but overrated. It's strange, is a bed and breakfast, but have no breakfast. Also in the room I stayed the bathroom has no roof, so is good only if you want to share all your sounds and smells of your toilette creations with your roommate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mmx25
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I was skeptical about if I had made the right choice or not because so many times the internet can be very deceiving. When we arrived I was so happy to see that I had in fact made an excellent choice. The room was so much bigger than I expected. It was decorated so stylish and the air conditioning was awesome. The bed was so comfortable. The staff was delightful and very helpful. The pool area was beautiful. It was tucked back in a little garden which reminded me of a tropical oasis. It was conveinently located just one block off of Duval but still secluded. I will definently stay here again and I will recommend The Douglas House to all of my friends. Thank you for a delightful vacation.

1 Thank beachbum2506
Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

It was a last minute trip to KW and we were pleasantly surprised to find this quaint location on the Southern part of Duval, though it is not right on Duval which for me is a plus it is only steps away and tucked into Amelia street very nicely. The pool area was attractive and tropical the front desk was very accommodating and pleasant , then we checked into our room and for the price it is an amazing deal , they were updated rooms with full size fridge and basic things you would need for a short vacation stay. It has a comfortable shower and not claustrophobic like most other hotel rooms, but if I could leave a comment that would help they need to get better mattress on the pull out sofa or put a pillow top on them you can feel every spring in the mattress! Also the cleaning people need to clean the floors a little better and leave a few extra towels , we only had 2 for 4 guest and had to go to the front desk for more and they were more than helpful to give us more. Loved that it was on the southern side of Duval because when you are done with the madness of the Duval crawl you can come back to a comfy quite location that is still in the middle of everything!! We will be back.

1 Thank travelthroughmyeyes