“Spring Break In The Keys!”
Review of Island House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Island House
Philadelphia
“Spring Break In The Keys!”
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I read that the Island House was offering Spring Break discounts for college students and I’d never been to Key West so my best friend from school (in Philly) and I decided to go down. We’d gone to ft. Lauderdale before and while that was a much bigger scene, none of the places we stayed or hung out were as cool as the Island House. It’s stylish but it’s not stuck up. We split a room with two beds which worked out MOST of the time, and with the discount it was pretty reasonable. It’s a little expensive to get down to KW but once you’re at the Island House you really don’t need to leave-there’s boys AND booze, and lots of places to lay out, naked or clothed. We went naked and made some friends! We went out the first night to the bars on Duval, which was pretty fun (check out shirtless, funny Brett at 801-Hot!) but we had a better time hanging out at the pool bar at the Island House. We invited the guys we met at Bourbon Street to come by the next day for lunch and let’s just say we all had a good afternoon, after a few frozen strawberry margaritas.

The bar staff is really cool and funny, especially James! Oh my god, this guy had us laughing all night. We had heard that all the guys there would be older and a lot of them were, but there were a couple guys who passed through during the 4 days and 3 nights we were there who were mid twenties, and there were all always some hot guys around the pool-and in the video room! There was a little bit of ever type of guy there, which was more fun than Ft. Lauderdale where everyone is kind of the same. We met so many cool people there—it’s super friendly and definitely uninhibited!

The gym’s good-and good for checking out guys! Same with the steamroom! I saw someone else on TripAdvior was sorry to miss Scott for a massage. We talked to Scott who’s super cute and sweet for sure, but I splurged on a massage from Rich who is even hotter! I felt amazing afterwards!

Anyway, it’s a great spot to hang out, a little expensive but worth it, and if you’re in college bring your school IDs!

• Liked — The Pool Area is awesome
  • Disliked — Little expensive
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank phillystud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed January 7, 2007

I spent the Christmas holiday at the Island House which was my second stay there. Loved every minute of it. The staff was efficient and helpful, the food was but good and my room was clean and available upon my arrival. Most of the guest were in my age range (50's) but there were some younger and older guests there. My one regret was that Scott, one of the massage therapists, was gone for the holiday. I had a massage by Scott on my first stay and I was really looking forward to another one by him. Perhaps next time. I have already booked my next stay at the Island House for November. Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Quality and efficiency of staff and cleanliness of establishment and its amenities.
  • Disliked — I would like breakfast to be available earlier than 8:30 a.m.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to spend a lot of the time by the pool.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank VIRGINIAUSA2000
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My partner and I just returned yesterday from a six days, five nights stay at the Island House in Key West. This was my 3rd visit to Key West and his 4th. For all previous visits, we stayed at the Oasis/Coral Tree Inn down the street. However, we began to see an obvious lack of care for the property over the last two visits, so we decided to try Island House.

When we arrived, Alan greeted us very warmly. After paying off the balance for the room, we were given a great tour of the property by Alan himself. Our bags were immediately taken up to our room, waiting for us.

The property is in VERY good shape and guests/employees commented about how new touches are added all the time. In fact, while we were there, brand new lounge chairs were added to the sun deck, surveyers were present (obviously preparing for some upcoming additions), and new plants were moved into part of the property.

The rooms are all very well presented, anemities are wonderful (Aveda products in the rooms, free drinks between 5:30-7PM every day, water coolers around the property, bottles of water in your fridge each day, as many pool towels as you want, water misters on the sun deck...the list goes on & on, which is great!). I did not, however, think the beds were all that, as other reviews & the property's website proclaims. The "feather bed" is in desperate need of being replaced, and the same goes for the pillows.

The staff was all terrific, and we loved the few lunches and snacks we had at the on-site restaurant/bar. They're also very well organized. No detail is left out...I was even very impressed by their very own closed-circuit television channel giving visitors info. on the property, as well as various sites around Key West.

The only thing lacking for us was the general vibe of most of the guests. We always enjoyed meeting friendly people at Oasis. At Island House it was a little more difficult to feel that way. My partner and I were by far the youngest guests the entire time we stayed (we're mid 20's and early 30's). The average age of most guests is probably in the 50's and 60's, but there were a few other younger couples there like ourselves.

I only felt a little creeped out by a few guests, but that's probably because I'm younger appearing than mid 20's. The video room (while a nice touch for some) just was plain creepy to me, but to each is his own.

Also, please remember that anyone can come in off the street and get a day/night pass. Secure your belongings and don't leave your key laying around at night while swimming. I noticed a particular "couple" who appeared to be drunk one night, and I actually saw them take two other guests' keys, including my own. When I got out of the pool to take it off his wrist, he acted like he was too drunk to realize what he had done. Listen, I live in New York, so I don't fall for those games. Just be careful, as there are people out there who will take advantage of guests who let their guards down.

Key West just has losed its magic to me, at least. It's SOOOO far away from feeling like a gay (or even gay-friendly) destination now. On two occassions, we even heard some younger tourists on Duval St. actually utter some gay slurs at other tourists. That is something we have never heard in the past. We went to two drag shows and it was almost all straight people. Of course, I have no problem with this at all, but I'm just pointing it out to show how the overall diversity factor is slowly decreasing in Key West.

Overall, Island House was wonderful, and I THINK we'd try it another time (probably a larger room, though).

17 Thank jmfisher