Island House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Key West
See available hotels
Eden House(Key West)
  • Pool
Marquesa Hotel(Key West)
Excellent 5/5
Excellent 5/5
Very Good 4/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsgay resortsun deckvideo roomsteam roomhappy hourgay menpool partiesoutdoor jacuzzishared bathgreat amenitiessmall roompool sideduval streetpoolside barvisiting key westgymih
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I was going to Key West for my cousin's wedding and had never stayed in a gay resort or a clothing optional establishment. I'm 57 and others say I'm attractive but I am not the 21 year old hunk I was but who is at 57!
When I arrived the staff was very friendly and took me on a tour. It was quite hot in August but as we walked around the grounds I was surprised how comfortable it was despite the 90 degree heat and humidity.
I changed from travel clothes and got comfortable and had lunch. The staff in the dining area were super and the food was excellent. I ate at many other places and I have to say the food there was excellent quality and their prices were very reasonable.
I had a bedroom with a shared bath. I was concerned about how this would work but there was no problem and the staff kept the bathroom spotless. When I used towels and put a sign on the door that I needed more they were there.
There were older guys like me there and there were younger buff guys there as well. Everyone was polite and did not make anyone feel out of place or uncomfortable. While going to my room the guy I shared the bathroom with was going into take a shower. He was (I found out later) 24 years old and looked like he had just come in from a shooting with A&F. He smiled and said hi bathroom buddy. How are you? I smiled and said fine and enjoying my experience. He smiled and I went to my room. About 15 minutes later he knocked on my door and asked if I would like to join him on his scooter for a trip around Key West. I had the most wonderful time. He had been to Island House 3 other times and knew things about the island and the Island House from previous visits.
I had a great time there and will definitely go back for the nice rooms, especially nice staff and the feeling of acceptance from all.

Stayed: August 2008
7  Thank JBWR
Reviewed October 17, 2008

I have been visiting the IH since September 2001. From 2001 thru 2006 I visited on day passes. My wife (yes, female wife) and I spend 12 days around the Labor Weekend in Key West every year. (September 1st is our wedding anniversity.) A couple of days each time we are in Key West I visit the Island House while my wife visits friends at Pearl's Rainbow. I am only mentioning this information as I feel that I am somewhat able to view the Island House experience from a little different prospective than most of its guests.

During 2007 I had the opportunity to stay at the Island House for two long weekends as a guest. My first stay was for six days in late May and my second stay was for five days at the end of August. (The stay in May was a "present" from my wife for my 50th birthday.)

As I have stayed in all of the Resorts and upscale B&Bs in Key West; I can say that the maintenance and upkeep of the entire property is unmatched in Key West. The rooms and housekeeping services are exceptional. The maintenance and upkeep of the pool, the sun decks, the two spas, the sauna, the steam room, and the Health Club are also exceptional.

The check in and checkout process with the front desk was friendly, very professional, quick and efficient. Unlike almost all of the other Guesthouses on the Island the Front Desk is open 24 hours a day. I also have to note that the Island House Front Desk had no problem working with my wife (again a female) with making room reservations, booking massages,trips for me on the Blu Q, and allowing her to pay for them. No other gay resort or guesthouse I have stayed at has been willing to work with her for me.

I have dinned in almost every restaurant on Key West over the years. The Island House café/ Bar menus and service are among the absolute best on the Island. On both of my 2007 visits I never left the property to dine.

Over the years I have watched as the Island House, under Jon and Martin's guidance, become better and better!

If you are looking for a 5 Star gay experience in Key West you have to stay and dine at the Island House!

If you want another reference, just ask my wife, as she wishes she could stay there!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nkdcordovatncpl
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I've become a regular Key West tourist around the time of Fantasy Fest, last 8 years. I'm a cheapskate and enjoy a 2 week vacation that's less than $2K. At first I stayed at the Hostel ($19/night), but the ownership changed and it was awful. Late one night, Martin Kay (one of IH owners) picked me up in the back room of a bar and took me to show off his new hotel, ...Island House rebuilt. I was impressed but it was 5 times what the Hostel cost .... and I was a top getting plenty of action in the bars. Then one of my nuttier, drunk Hostel roommates...1 of 6 ..."disturbed me" as I slept. I called the authorities and Island House. The 24 hr desk at Island House immediately offered me a room for the rest of the night and sent a cab! This is the thing about Island House..... no matter where in the world you are from.... no matter your flavor of gay ...you will have a safe friendly harbor in Island House.

Over the 8 years Key West has gone from funky FUN to... a DULL, expensive, tourist trap with a few neat bars n restaurants. I find myself spending a large percent of my time in Island House, resting, enjoying the food, variety of men, and the liberty to be myself while respecting others. And I'm still within my budget! Jon Allen, an owner, or the manager, is around at Happy Hour to liven things up, give pointers and listen to concerns.

The shared baths are better appointed than the private ones and they sometimes come with fresh men. The cheaper rooms are tiny because of the huge bed, refrigerator, etc. I use the bedroom mostly for sleeping and recreation and it's great. I don't need a lotta space to put on a fresh sari or towel. Most of the time I'm in the TV room, a hot tub, the pool side Cafe, or the sunning deck . Good looking neighbors have hotel club membership and add a few fine bodies to the mix. My favorite ploy is to sit next to the 24 hr coffee pot , at 8 AM, dressed only in a towel and wait for the bleary eyed staff to load up on coffee. If you have an insecure partnership, a severe allergy to mold, fear of bugs or gecko or chickens this is neither the hotel nor the island for you. For the rest of us this is a class act oasis of considerate men.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank bigsingleinparadise
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I had just moved to Key West, and my partner came down for a week to visit. He spent one night at the Holiday Inn, and hated it. He was scheduled to be there another night. We went to Island House for dinner, and immediately fell in love with the grounds and the employees. He had a reservation for 3 nights, but they very nicely added a 4th night to it at the same price as the other nights, and my boy left the Holiday Inn early!!!

Pros
The food is excellent, the staff is very courteous and friendly and happy!, the pool is cooled and pretty, the sundeck is a lovely place to get a tan. Happy Hour!!!! Complimentary drinks from 5:30 to 7:00! Hard to beat that! The pool/bar/kitchen is open 24/7!

Cons
We got a room for $95 a night (not bad at all), but we had a shared bathroom. The rooms with their own bathrooms (granted they are quite nice rooms) range from $300 to $400 a night! And as other reviewers have pointed out, the cute guys you hope to see around Island House typically can't afford to be their. I certainly couldn't. That's really the only negative for me

Overall, if you have the money, give Island House a shot! If you are coming to Key West any ways, it's a great place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank donnylutz
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This is my sixth time staying at the Island House and I had a wonderful time as always. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. Both the indoor and outdoor hot tubs are very relaxing as well as their steamroom. The bar and restaurant staff are very friendly and prompt with their services. The food is delicious. The beds in the rooms are very comfortable. Probably some of the most comfortable beds I have slept in at a hotel. The guests and vistors at the hotel are very friendly. This was the first year that I went to Key West alone, and I was able to meet people right away which help make the experience more pleasant. Look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo