“If you're not into sleaze, give this place a miss”
Review of Island House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Island House
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Myself/Partner and friend spent two days/nights here at the end of three week trip. Culmination of two week trip to Fort Lauderdale.

I guess different people look for different things, but this is NOT the place for us. If you are happy with elderly/young/fat/thin men walking around the bar/restaurant areas with their sunburnt tackle on display then you will fit in and probably love the place. There is very much an underlying current of sexual prowling, which can be a little disconcerting 24 hours of the day.

Although it does mention nudity in the website, it is VERY much in your face. How this place was voted THE BEST in the world is beyond me, and I would be interested to see what the competition was.

We were accommodated in a two bedded apartment within the complex which was spacious and nicely furnished. Cleanliness not really up to what I would have expected about a place with such a glowing website.

Food OK, and portions/prices very reasonable. With the Pound/Dollar conversion rate at the moment, it is very reasonable to eat on Duval Street. Italian restaurant called Antonias is excellent, great food, and prices.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Overal - would I stay here again? No, because of the reasons above. If you enjoy nudity in all shapes and sizes at all times of the day, then go ahead, you will have a great time.

Stayed: November 2007
10  Thank MarkRuscoeRomanov

Reviewed November 21, 2007

Island House seduced me...

Quaint and charming Island House is a relaxing oasis of pleasure for the senses; both tactile and taste.

The staff was accommodating. The food far superior to most on-property guest houses, and both staff and fellow guests were warm and welcoming.

While some rooms tend to be small, others are very comfortable and well appointed. All aspects of the resort were clean and well maintained.

Was there random sex to be had? Yes. Does one feel compelled to be involved; no. Pretension and pressures are left at the door step of the Inn.

What is golden about Island House is that the guest, if they wished, would never have to leave the property for a restful respite in the tropics. Great pool. Great (and free happy hour). Great food. Great people. My heart yearns to be there again now.

• Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank RollerCoaster973
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Island House Key West. I love this place! I cannot wait to return. This was not the first time that I have stayed there, but this was the longest. This time I ate all my meals at the resort as the prices were better than those of restaurants on Duval St and the food/portions were far better. Since I was traveling alone, I stayed in one of the economy shared bath rooms. The place was spotless, I had no qualms about using a shared bathroom. They were always clean and well maintained. The staff was very attentive and the mix of guests was very good. There were guys with ages ranging from the upper 30's to the 70's. I'm in my 40's and felt very comfortable. The place is not an overpriced bathhouse like other reviewers suggested, it is a great getaway for a gay man to relax in.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank ti2gr
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I visited Island House the first time almost 20 years ago, and my has it changed--for the better! This time I went with my friend Frankie (see his recent review as well) and 5 other friends from the DC area. Four of us stayed in one of the larger regular rooms (they have a couple of apartments across the alley in a separate building) which had 2 queen beds and one bath (shower). The room was large enough for 4 friends who travel well with other people and who don't require a lot a privacy. It was well appointed, very clean, and the beds very comfortable. It faced the courtyard and overlooked the outdoor jacuzzi. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. The poolside cafe/bar has a great menu; you can easily enjoy three meals a day there and not have to go out. The staff is well trained in providing superior service. The servers /bartenders are generally the same each day at their regular shifts, and they do an excellent job of remembering your name. Key West is an expensive place to live--tip those guys well! By the way, you can have up to 3 separate folios per room, so it's easy to keep deparate tabs at the bar/cafe... As Frankie indicated in his review, although the property is clothing-optional in all areas, not everyone partakes in that option; I didn't, with the exception of one late late night when I took a skinny-dip in the pool. One doesn't feel pressured to partake in any of the extra-curricular activities which obviously take place between guests primarily in the heat and darkness of night (daytime as well if one so chooses). You can always head out on the town at night if you're not into "that"--we did most nights. Island House is several blocks from the main tourist/business street--Duval Street, but its an easy and safe walk. I'd say the guests' ages ranged from the mid-20's to 70+, with the majority on this particular long weekend being 35+. The staff were all different ages as well and most easy to the eye--particularly the younger seemingly eastern European men who performed the cleaning duties around the property. But don't get an ideas about the latter--they are *strictly* all work and will rarely even make eye contact, though they will return greetings in passing. Play with the other guests if you so choose, not the staff--at least while they're on duty. All in all it was a lovely 5 days at a very lovely all-male resort in the tropics--THE best overall in Key West!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
8  Thank Clint D
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I just returned from spending 5 marvelous days at the Island House. It was my first visit and definitly not my last. The grounds are secure, clean and offer a lot of privacy. Me and my three other friends shared a deluxe room with two queen size beds which were very comfortable and spacious. None of us ever felt very crowded during the short period of times we spent in the room. There are two jacuzzi's, (indoor & outdoor), gym, full service bar with food menu opened until very late, The food was very good and the drinks were very strong. The upstairs sundeck with fans and misters kept us very cool while sun bathing. Clothing is optional, however I would say 50% of the guests were in swimsuits. Everyone was very respectful of each others privacy. The video room did offer excitement at all hours; if you chose to stop in for a visit.... if that is not your deal, it was not all in your face. Those previous reviews who claim this is a glorified bathouse are very wrong. Island House was very clean, upscale with an friendly hard working staff. If you travel there by yourself, you will have friends by the end of your first day. There were many couples as well who were all friendly and making of it what they wanted. I can't wait to make my next visit.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank fjg971
Reviewed September 3, 2007

OK - so the real deal is: Island House is amazing. The staff is friendly to a point where you'd think even as a first-time houseguest that you were long-lost relatives. The food was good (I won't go so far as some of the other reviewers - but it was good) and the facility was CLEAN. We had a 2BR apartment that was DELIGHTFUL - great appointments, clean (did I mention CLEAN). The beds were phenominal. The other guests were a great cross-section of the real world. It wasn't just twinks, it wasn't just daddies - it was everything - and we all created a very cool environment that most of us would agree should have come back home to our "real" communities. If you've ever done an AIDS ride and marveled at how well people got along - it's just like that, except you're not exhausted.

Come ready to have fun, drink a little, (ok, a lot in some cases) and laugh a lot. I'll be back for SURE.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank PHXJeremy
Reviewed July 30, 2007

I booked this trip at first thinking that some friends had stayed there and had liked it.. It was the wrong place but definitely one of the best getaways we have ever taken! Even extended our stay instead of going to Miami!!! Here you can do as much or as little as you want and not feel pressured or out of place!
The staff was unbelievable.... eye candy staff that actually has your interests in mind. The friendliest staff we have ever met anywhere in the world!!!
Pools were a bit too chlorinated but understandable! Rooms were clean and spacious(had a queen bed by the outside hot tub!), food was great. Only ate a slice of pizza outside the resort once cuz they had a great menu for b'fast, lunch, and dinner.
The best thing was that the age range was just what we needed!!! everything from early 20's to way up there!! We made friends alot more easily on this trip!!! already planning the next visit!!!
Thanks to everyone at Island House Key West!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple