“The one and only place for me in Key West”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ranked #2 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“The one and only place for me in Key West”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I try to visit Key West every few years. The one and only place I've stayed has been Alexander's Guesthouse. A former boyfriend of mine took me there (back in the late 90's) and I've gone back several times with friends and the current boyfriend. In my 7 visits since, I have never been disappointed. In my last trip I've come to realize just how special this place is, not just for me, but to the many other returning guests who come back year after year. I met a number of couples who have been coming to Alexander's for over 17 years! No matter who is on the staff, it's always a great warm welcoming staff who is there to help cater to your every need (from restaurant reservations, tours, scooter rentals, recommended sites to check out, how to get from point A to point B, massage appointments, or special occasion set-ups.- yes, I've used all these.) The rooms have always been very clean, with a very Key West feel. Their website gives some pretty good detail for each of the rooms so you have a sense of what you are booking. Alexander's has a lot of class, and it feels classy. I can't speak for the other gay B&B's, but I've only heard about your stereotypial "gay male compound." If you want to experience the "gay male compound" but not stay at a "gay male compound" you can go across the street and visit the Island House. Which I hear can be loads of fun. I love that Alexander's caters to both Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Heterosexual...i.e. everyone! Mornings start out with a nice continental breakfast. Afternoons are spent by the pool, hanging with friends, sunning by the pool or on the clothing optional deck. Daily Happy Hour is always Happy. It's a great way to catch up with other guests about their day, or welcome new guests who just arrived. Each time I've returned there has always been someone there who remembers me, my name, or my face. It's like seeing old friends. Even for folks who come to Alexander's alone, I've always noticed they rarely felt out of place when most people there are couples or groups of friends. The guests can be just as welcoming as the staff. I'm looking forward and can't wait until I get a chance to return. The only negative or downside of staying at Alexander's Guesthouse, is having to leave.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ebelleza
Alexander G, General Manager at Alexander's Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
What a wonderful review...we thank this guest from the bottom of our hearts. Keep coming back, we will miss you while you are gone:(. This guest mentioned so many of the areas we are proud of to offer guests during their stay, from the delicious breakfast (with eggs to order one day, another day pancakes, etc) to the super fun Happy Hour. Served up daily by the pool, we have great bartender's that create lip-smacking, refreshing, tropical drinks which are included in the room rate. It lasts for one hour, includes wine and special house liquors. It is a great time! Our friendly bartenders do their best to offer suggestions for things to do in town and help guests to get to know one another.

One thing I really appreciated this guest mentioning in their review is about how the single traveler feels just as welcomed and comfortable as those who are traveling with friends or partners. At Alexander's, we are friendly and social with guests, which then also helps guests to be social with each other...this is turn, creates an inviting atmosphere for all. The traveler who is traveling alone ends up making lots of new friends...if they choose to. The guesthouse is large enough, however, if any guest just wants a little peace and quiet...there is plenty of room to enjoy that too. Alexander's staff mindfully gives guests their space as well.

Today is Memorial Day and we provided our guests with some delicious treats ( chicken, macaroni and cheese, salad), to enjoy by the pool. We hope all who of you who give your lives to keep us safe, feel the love today... as you should. We certainly do appreciate you at Alexander's! One way we try to say thank you is offering Military discounts all year long...no matter what time of year it is, even holidays. Military always receives 10% off their stay. We love you and are grateful for you! Have a GREAT holiday!

Best Wishes,
Laura Zequeira
Alexander's Guesthouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Details you would not even think of attended to daily. All staff truly goes out of their way at every step to make a guest feel welcome and pampered. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Actually probably come to key west more often just for the chance to stay at Alexander's!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank frankiejai
Alexander G, General Manager at Alexander's Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
One of the things that truly makes our day at Alexander's is learning a guest had a positive experience with us and also plans on returning...making Key West their new home away from home. We say then..."Welcome to the Alexander's Family"!!. We are always here when anyone is ready to relax and unwind.

Thank you to this guest for taking the time to share about their experience! We look forward to their return!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed here for one night and enjoyed it but I think that the gushing reviews here are a little overblown... I think a lot of the guests are return visitors and there was a slight feeling of clique in the backyard, maybe if we'd stayed longer that might not have been the case.
The staff were excellent on the whole. Certainly the manager is very friendly, very helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
Parking is not on site - it's on the street, but we had no trouble finding a spot.
Maybe I'm being a bit over-critical but I thought it was, dare I say, a bit over-priced. Our room was above the main reception and was bright. Whilst in character with the place, venetian blinds mean that you will be woken by the sun very early. The air-conditioning unit was incredibly, incredibly noisy. None of this helped us get much sleep. I thought the room was looking quite tired in some respects if I'm honest as were some aspects of the hotel - EG grubby stair carpets etc.
The backyard area has a pool and a hot tub but I didn't think it seemed a particularly clean area either - there was a film of something floating on the surface of the pool. The sun decks are very nice though.
Alexander's runs a happy hour with free drinks in the afternoon, which is included in the room rate. It's a nice touch, although I suppose ultimately you are paying for it - my advice is don't ask for a Mojito. I watched the barman pick out some greenish mint leaves from a bag of (I'm not exaggerating here) black, rotten leaves. Stick to the wine.
Breakfast was pretty good - everything seemed very fresh and the morning we were there, there was a lady singing and playing her guitar, which was very cool.

5 Thank Richp
Alexander G, General Manager at Alexander's Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
We are always grateful for reviews! We have also reached out to this guest to apologize that they did not enjoy their stay as much as they could have. We just wished they were able to stay longer, as one night sometimes does not give the guest a chance to truly experience all that Alexander's offers or to get to know other guests.

We are so glad these guests were able to see how much the staff cares about their stay and experienced a happy exchange with us overall. Glad they loved the music on Mother's Day by the pool for breakfast. It was the Songwriter's Festival that weekend, we had a lovely volunteer come and play soft, acoustic guitar for us. Sundays are always a nice breakfast too, where we include complimentary Bloody Mary's also for all guests.

In this review, this guest mentioned a couple of issues during their stay and wanted to take a moment to address them....as all reviews are important to us!!

During Happy Hour, our fun bartenders encourage guests to mingle and get to know one another, we love when guests reach out to us as well, letting us know they are open to socializing as we certainly do not want to pressure anyone. Our pool area is large enough, however, if guests want to keep to socialize, they can, or if they want to keep to themselves, that is certainly okay as well. We want guests to enjoy their vacation as they wish.

As for our stairs in the hallway...we agree. We keep our guesthouse immaculate (as can be read from all our other reviews), but these stairs have been so difficult. We have tried three types of special cleaners and also renting the Rug Doctor. It just doesn't seem to work on this type of carpet. Here's something we learned and will share... never buy sisal carpeting for a high traffic area. While beautiful at first, it just will not come clean and it cannot be steamed cleaned. We learned our lesson!! We are pulling it up in two weeks.

This guest mentioned a "filmy layer" in the pool. This is from many guests swimming with sunscreen on...all at once. Because of our super, high powered, cleansing and filtering system, it usually dissipates quite quickly. We also have two showers available, located poolside, for guest use before entering the pool. We encourage guests to do so. If there is ever an issue that does not seem to be improving, we always encourage guests to bring something to our attention, as we love to take care of issues immediately. We welcome them with gratitude, as we never want a guest to feel uncomfortable about bringing up an issue. We feel guests mention it because they care. We love that.

As for the bartender reaching into a bag of mint that had some leaves that had gone astray, we spoke with this bartender, changed our bar set up and also discontinued ordering such a large bag of mint. We were trying to keep a lot on hand for Mojitos and our Spa water that we make daily for guests, but it was too much to keep on hand...it went bad too quickly. Now we just buy small portions and it is all fresh, delicious and minty!

Thank you to these guests and all guests for choosing to stay at Alexander's. We are grateful that you continue to come back and we promise to never rest on our laurels, as we want to do our very best to make your stay the greatest ever.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our first visit to Key West and Alexanders and it could not have been bettered. Luxurious informality is the best description of this guest house. The staff were warm, welcoming and helpful, the breakfast amazing (not least the hot muffins straight from the oven and the omelettes cooked in front of you) our room was fabulous. Altogether an unforgettable stay.

Room Tip: Our stay here was a gift so we cannot comment on value
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Yay!! We did good! We are so happy to hear we are meeting our goals in creating a fabulous vacation. We love that these guests traveled all the way from the United Kingdom to stay at Alexanders, in fact, it's quite an honor. Thank you to these guests for sharing their experience here on Tripadvisor and for also being such nice guests, as other guests commented on how much they enjoyed meeting them!

Fantastic also that these guests received a gift from another guest to stay with us.
It is quite popular for guests to purchase gift certificates for other guests. The gift of relaxation...aaaaah...now that is a gift!

We also have a rewards program we created for guests to receive points for sending their friends! It is another way we say thank you!

Thank you again for sharing your experience! We hope to see you all in the near future!
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Excellent all around! Not one complaint. Each and everyevery single person that worked there were so accommodating and friendly from the minute you walk into this beautiful B & B. It looked and felt like paradise... so much that I booked already for next year again. There are so many places to stay in Key West but I was so spoiled that I would not want to chance staying in another place. Their morning breakfast was the best, so fresh and delightful waking up and going onto this gorgeous deck and having cappuccino while soaking up the sun, not to mention how clean and fresh everything is with a convenient bar located outside as well. Very tranquil and relaxing. Top Notch!

1 Thank Laurie N
Thank you to this guest for taking the time to share how their trip went! It really makes us happy to know our guests are happy. It is a passion for us, to create memorable vacations for guests.

We are so glad they liked our new breakfast menu too. We continue to evolve it as well, now we have eggs made to order, another day we offer multi-grain pancakes to order with fresh fruit and whipped cream (got to have them on vacation:)), veggie quiche another day, Belgium waffles the next...fresh bagels from Goldmans with specialty cream cheeses. While we offer fresh, healthy options breakfast, those who have special dietary desires like a gluten-free option, just let us know and we will have something special available.

We look for to this guest's return and we also look forward to meeting YOU!

See You Soon in the Sun!
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

This is our 10th stay in 8 years and we'd not think of staying anywhere else! It's like coming home.
The entire staff goes out of their way to fill your every need. (Get your mind outta the gutter!) We looked into a time share some years ago, but they don't fix breakfast, make your bed and serve clean towels at a timeshare!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ADIAGA
We are so very grateful for the continued loyalty of these guests over the years. This is a huge honor, that instead of a time share, they choose to share their time with us. Guests like these motivate us to keep doing our very best to create an ambiance and environment that inspires guests to return year after year.

We humbly thank these guests and all others who have supported Alexander's Guesthouse over the years. We are now celebrating 32 years as an LGBT guesthouse. We are here because of You...again Thank You. We love all of you.

xo
Laura Zequeira
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have been to Key West on other occasions, all vacations were great but I must admit Alexander's guest house staff made this one even more wonderful. Each person was very helpful and happy attitudes, so willing to help with every little detail. Their recommendations for dinner were perfect. I couldn't imagine ever staying anywhere else, we are booking our 2015 stay with them now, and counting down the days. 5 Star Rating!!!

Room Tip: We had the poolside room and it was beautiful, and very convenient to the pool and patio for breakfa...
2 Thank Diane V
Best Vacation Ever! This is music to our ears! We are so happy these guests decided to reserve before they left as that is always the best way to get the room one likes! We even give guests a two month grace period if a guest needs it...we want to make it easy...so a guest can look forward to their next getaway with us!

We are so happy they enjoyed our dinner recommendations, thank goodness Key West has quite a few fantastic restaurants to choose from! Most of the restaurants are very close to Alexander's, some within a couple of blocks.

It is a great feeling to take a leisurely stroll at dusk, along the streets of historic town. Alexander's is located on Fleming Street where many of the homes originally owned by the wealthy movers and shakers of Key West can be seen Locals will be sitting on their front porches enjoying an evening glass of wine, watching the world go by, be sure to wave hello... as our locals are quite friendly!

At Alexander's, Room 11 and Room 17 (our one bedroom apartment) are both quite popular because they have great porches facing Fleming Street for lounging lazily in the cook breezes of the afternoon.

Thank you again to this guest for sharing their experience, it takes time to stop and write a review...so a giant "thank you" for taking the time... we are truly grateful and look forward to your return!