“Relax, unwind and enjoy the peace and quiet”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Alexander's Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Relax, unwind and enjoy the peace and quiet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed 5 nights at Alexander's and enjoyed every minute. This beautifully appointed guesthouse is staffed an welcoming and friendly staff who go out of there way to ensure that your stay is comfortable.

The rooms are very reasonably priced and ours had a separate sitting room and a private outdoor terrace area with deck chairs and arm chairs.

Location is excellent - close enough to walk wherever you want, but far enough from Duval Street to avoid the crowds and any noise.

Lovely pool, spa and gardens create an ideal setting to relax and unwind.

Have stayed in similar places across the world and Alexander's is up there with the best.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Dublin, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My partner and I just visited Alexander's Guesthouse this past week for our Key West vacation. The experience was simply wonderful. We stayed in room #4. This room has a queen bed and a private bathroom. The guesthouse has it's own private pool and hot tub in addition to sundecks that are clothing optional. In the evening at 5pm there is a complimentary happy hour! The guesthouse provides guests with delicious complementary breakfast every morning that has an array of items sure to fill you up for a day of exploring the island. Staff is very knowledgeable about the island and are quick to provide suggestions for activities and eating. Jonathan and I have already decided that should we return to Key West we will definitely be saying at Alexander's.

Room Tip: Make sure you visit the guesthouse's website so that you can get an idea of where all the rooms...
Grafton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My partner and I were lucky enough to stay here for a week. Alexander's is wonderful and everyone, from staff to guests, is incredibly welcoming. We stayed in room 9 - it was lovely and quiet, but beware the ceilings are slanted and we bumped our heads a few times. The breakfasts are great - no shortage of food! Also, don't miss happy hour - great bartender and a great time to socialize with other guests :)
We would definitely stay here again!

Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first time staying here and it was pleasant from the first time we walked in. We were greeted by Agnus and Bryan with all smiles and Bryan was exceptionally friendly and helpful during the entire stay making us feel very welcome. The building and grounds were very clean and the salt water pool was a nice change of pace.

The tables around the pool area have a covered roof with paddle fans which made the heat bearable while eating breakfast and our own lunch around the pool. Our room number 2 was on the second floor and a nice size and very clean, but perhaps the shower head could be changed since it felt like a hose coming down on you since the diameter of the spray was very small and you couldn't make it bigger that I could find.

The bed was extremely comfortable and we had great night sleeps except for me waking up in the middle of the night kind of sweaty wear I was laying and I couldn't figure it out since the room was cold. Not until the last day did I look under the fitted sheet to see some type of plastic cover over the mattress pad, so that explained why I was sweating at night since I can't sleep over anything plastic since I'll sweat, but I realize why the plastic cover is there for those that are messy in bed!

The personnel are great at making reservations for you, that's a fantastic concierge service that is offered. The complementary happy hour is from 5-6 using house liquors only (it looked like local made liquors), but if you want another liquor, they charge but the price wasn't that bad. The bar tender was very friendly and she would make any drink that you wanted, we just had the house liquors and the drinks were pretty good.

The only thing I noticed was the Sunday night happy hour suddenly had at least 15 extra people who were not even staying at the guest house crowding the bar and taking up seats, it took us a long time to get our drinks and a few people were making comments to me about who all those people were. I didn't know that they let crowds of people in at happy hour in addition to the paying guest staying there, I didn't care for that, but it only happened the one night. I think that the complementary happy hour should have been extended due to that reason for the guest staying there, but it wasn't.

Don't let the few negatives that I have listed affect you staying here as we had a good time, no place is perfect and I am not trying to be picky, I am just listing our personal experience at the time.

The only person who made our entire stay fun and pleasant was Bryan! He is such a nice guy and pleasant to talk with, I enjoyed it so much and they are very lucky to have him working there

1 Thank Jmraggs
Alexander G, Manager at Alexander's Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We are so grateful this guest stayed with us and had an enjoyable time overall this Memorial Day Weekend. We aim to please all of our guests for sure! It was a very busy weekend in town and at the guesthouse was at full capacity as well.

We have apologized also to this guest ,as we did not realize that things might have felt out of balance during our Memorial Day Celebration Party on that Sunday. We had a poolside party with food and cake for our staying guests which ended up growing a little larger.

We do extend the privilege to all staying guests to invite a friend/family (1-2 maximum) from the outside to join them for one Happy Hour. Bartenders also do their best to make sure our staying guests remain a priority as well. This particular day, probably because it was a holiday celebration, more guests than usual exercised this privilege. We did our best to manage the guests by encouraging these particular visitors to purchase a "kiki" which is bottle service at their table (e.g. Grey Goose Vodka with all the trimmings needed to mix their own drinks) which they did order. This helped to move the visitors away from the bar.

We were trying to be proactive to make sure the party was fun for everyone. We were, however, not aware there were actually any issues. Everyone just seemed to be enjoying the Memorial Day Celebration.

Also, we encourage guests to speak with the front desk at any given moment if there is ever an issue. If a guest feels they are not receiving the service they deserve, just let us know and we happily will make it better immediately. Just a nice, quick mention is all it takes! Our staying guests are our priority for sure!! A manager was at the front desk the whole day and had never heard any mention of issues by guests.

Again we do apologize...please know our intention is always to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time. Please always let us know what we can do to make something better!

A quick mention about the mattress coverings....yes, we take great measures to protect guests, keep beds/rooms super clean and ensure against bed bugs and mites. We deep clean our rooms very well and have bed bug protectors on all mattresses and box springs. Yes, we hope they create more breathable protectors one day too! We are happy, though, to report at Alexander's we have never had an issues because of these precautions.

If you are a guest thinking of staying with us...just remember, we are here to make your stay wonderful...just let us know what you need while you are with us. We will do our best to accommodate. Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend!
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is the second time that we stayed at Alexander's. The first time was amazing. This time we splurged and got one of the larger rooms with a little kitchen area and "private balcony" (room 4). Well, for the extra 50+ bucks/night, I was not nearly as impressed.

First, the private balcony was not really private because it contained a window directly into the room next to us! They could at anytime lift their blinds and see us sitting there, so we could not hang around naked after a shower or pool-time, and we could see directly into their room, too! To make matters worse, their air conditioner vented into our private space, making it very noisy and unpleasant to sit in their hot exhaust.

The toilet in this room was useless. The majority of the time it did not clear the waste, even if you held the handle down to ensure maximum flush time. We had to flush several times and were often faced with unpleasnt reminders of the previous occupant. ew.

The decor was beautiful, though the bathroom was showing its age, with black spots on the ceiling, the grout was dark, and the paint was chipping in places. The tiles in the shower were so aged that I slipped the moment I stepped into it and ended up with several bruises and a painful wrist. (I have never slipped in the shower ever in my life). When I reported my fall, they seemed skeptical and sent in a repair guy who confirmed the tiles were very worn and slippery. They offered to have a doctor come in and see me, which I declined, but they did not offer any compensation in an other form, though 2 vacation days were somewhat marred by the pain of my wrist and bruises. ( I have had reductions in fees at hotels for much less than that so I was surprised that they offered zippo... not even a reduction on a future stay to make up for the unpleasant experience!)

Other minor issues in the room: Though it was great to have, the microwave was at a height of approximately 5.5 to 6ft. We had to reach above our heads to get things in and out of the microwave. You could not use it if you were shorter than 5'7". Seems like a recipe for a face scalding if someone tipped their food.
Also, the entrance door to the room was not solid, but rather had a huge window. The room blind did not cover it completely and the hall lights shone directly into our eyes when in bed. I had to hang a robe on the door to block out the light.

The grounds were spectacular and the service wonderful. The breakfast in the morning was pretty good, though they no longer have the daily eggs-made-to-order. There is always hot water and filtered cold water available.

And happy hour is wonderful, allowing you to have a free drink or two and meet guests from around the world.

Although it may seem like I have a lot of complaints, I still think this place is great, and I would recommend it. I just would not waste my extra money on this room again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Blue-J-traveller
Alexander G, General Manager at Alexander's Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are always grateful at Alexander's when guests let us know how we are doing. We prefer all guests let us know while they are staying with us, giving us the chance to make something better. It truly is our goal...that all guests enjoy their stay. This guest did not mention room issues to us while here, we would have gladly done our best to remedy any issue, immediately.

Also, we did check on this guest to make sure all was well when something was mentioned, they said they were fine. We believed that to be true. We also offered solutions. Management did not receive any message the incident was affecting their stay....we would surely have taken more measures to make this guest happy....had they said something directly to a manager, as one is available everyday on the property.

Since this post, we have corresponded with this guest and shared our concern and interest.

We encourage any guest staying with us to communicate with management directly when any issue arises, just as we encourage guests to let us know when we are doing a good job too!

We love to hear from our guests, both are always received well.

Thank you from all of your friends at Alexander's Guesthouse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

This place is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed. It was romantic, divine, relaxing and plumb wonderful. The staff was incredibly accommodating, helped set everything up for us, made delicious breakfasts, and I believe they may have even gone out and purchased a new DVD player for our room on the spot when the original one malfunctioned. All to say the experience, the atmosphere, and the community lent itself to reacquainting with the love of my life and a beautiful celebration of our 10th anniversary. Can't quite recommend this place enough!! :)

• Stayed May 2013
West Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Alexander’s has the art of hospitality down so well--which is nearly a dying art today. Any LGBT adult traveler would feel very welcomed (as would tolerant straight couples too--which from my experience, there tend to be Europeans). This is my third or fourth time at Alexander’s and I’ve had pleasant experiences every time. Again, they are so consistent. The rooms are clean and wonderfully decorated. The grounds are exceptionally beautiful, clean and well kept, but the staff add to the atmosphere and experience. Everyone is so pleasant, helpful and accommodating.

It’s like a little community evolves--getting to know the other guests, along with the staff at breakfast, happy hour or just by the pool. Relaxing and sunning by the pool I felt guilty for not wanting to leave during the day and go to the beach (I got over it soon). Even the front porches are wonderful places to sit and watch the world go by or talk to other guests. Staying at Alexander’s is one of those exceptional experiences that will leave you sad when it’s time to check out and leave, but leave you feeling good for the experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family