WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Te Da Hotel

La Te Da Hotel
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Key West
Boston MA
“Hotel very nice; restaurant pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a very well-priced and pleasant hotel for Key West. Quiet yet still lively part of town. Right near a Trolley stop. The hotel staff was all extremely pleasant and helpful every time we interacted with them. Our rooms were a bit worn but spacious enough and had fridges! However room was not made up even by 3 PM. Pool is small but cute and was just fine. The pleasant-looking outdoor restaurant was expensive and the service only so-so. We were told it is under separate management from the hotel, you could tell the difference in quality of service and customer-friendliness right away. The food is very good, quality of ingredients and freshness outstanding. Prices high, they add 18% gratuity to the check to dinner as a matter of course and THEN hand you a check to sign that still has a line for "tip" to fill in! I sort of get the 18%, I understand they get a lot of Europeans here who are not used to US tipping customs and who don't know that wait staff is so poorly paid. But what we really objected to was that the hotel stay includes breakfast but then they tell you that "gratuity is not included" and suggested amount for breakfast gratuity is $3 per person. Please people, pay your staff properly and don't make us customers annoyed by the surprise nickel and diming us. Just add it to the total cost of the meal. Left us with a bad feeling and seems like a nasty business practice.

Room Tip: Standard rooms were quite spacious with AC and fridges, good storage space. Free WiFi. TV and phon...
Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BostonTraveler62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The staff here were VERY friendly and accommodating. The made to order breakfast included each morning was delicious. Our room was large and handsomely decorated. One little problem and I can see where this might gross some people out too much. For us it wasn't a big issue and I understand it is the tropics and an old building. But...we had termites in our bathroom a couple days. The cleaning service came right away and cleaned it all up very well, but I guess they were coming out of the wood around the window because by the next day...they were back. Now I would definitely recommend staying here, our friends had a bottom level room and I never heard them mention the termite problem. But if you notice them the first day you might want to ask for another room because they will be there every day no matter how much they clean. I hope that doesn't deter too many people, overall the place was a great deal and a great place! Just wanted to be honest about what we experienced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Michele83MD
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We recently stayed at La Te Da for four nights to ring in the new year. The location is excellent; right on Duval street (the nicer, quieter side) within walking distance to most attractions on the island worth seeing. The staff was consistently great from the front desk to the bartenders. Included is a free breakfast every morning, and the breakfast is awesome. One of the best hotel breakfasts I've had the pleasure of eating; it's really very good. The price was excellent for a hotel in Duval Street, especially considering it was one of the busiest holidays of the year. If you plan on staying here for New Year's Eve, book early. I made my reservation in July and was able to snag one of only 2 rooms left.

The rooms are a little older and dilapidated compared to some other hotels on Duval but still reasonably clean. The mattresses in our room could use replacing, as they both felt saggy and uncomfortable. From what I've read, some rooms have better mattresses so it may have been an issue unique to our room (we got one of the luxury ones on the 2nd floor).

The only major issue we had was the lack of a shower curtain. There is no bathroom door, meaning that without a shower curtain, anyone taking a shower is clearly visible from the rest of the room. When you're with a significant other it's not a problem, but when with friends who have no interest in seeing their buddy's junk, it is very awkward. Fortunately, I travel with a Flexoline wherever I go, and we were able to rig up a makeshift shower curtain using several beach towels.

I would stay here again in the future despite the minor room inconveniences. The excellent staff and prime location more than make up for the other issues.

Room Tip: Luxury room upstairs. Check for a shower curtain before you go.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank eyeguy5
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just returned from a one-week stay at La Te Da. I found it on the internet and went in hoping it was as good as I had read it was. It surpassed all our expectations and I wish we were still there. Start with the location, it is on the "classy" part of Duval. No throngs of drunks aimlessly wandering the streets and no loud music and people. A great area with nice shops, restaurants and proximity to many attractions. On the other hand, when you're ready to go to "unclassy" Duval, it's not that bad a walk at all. The hotel is an old home that has been adapted to it's current use. I loved that the rooms were scattered around and non-uniform. We were in the back and on the second-floor. It was like it was our home and everyone else was just visiting. The staff was the best part of La Te Da. Without exception, they were friendly, helpful and all appeared to genuinely love their job. We stayed over Christmas and not one person working that day complained. This is how a hotel staff should be. We only ate breakfast but it was consistently good. Based on the crowds, lunch and supper are just as good. There is no parking on-site but I had no problem finding a spot around the corner and we didn't use the car at all while we were there. We went to a Christopher Peterson Eyecon cabaret show upstairs. It was a great show and well worth the $26 ticket. He is a great entertainer and the upstairs hall is amazing. I'm sure I've left something out but the bottom line is that we could not have ben more satisfied with La Te Da. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we will return.

Room Tip: Pay the slight additional money for the Upstairs rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rob P
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Key West for my husbands birthday. The first night, we had a few problems with our room and we shared the information with the front desk. The man at the front desk immediately took note and offered to allow us to switch to a nicer room free of additional charges for the remainder of our stay!

We also spent quite a bit of time fishing during our stay and the staff was nice enough to prepare them to our liking each time for dinner.

Overall- Great experience and would recommend this great little find to anyone looking for a unique experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Mara L
sneads,fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I went to La te da after hearing how great it was from friends. I went on a Friday and Doug was there. He was very nice. I went back Saturday and Doug wasnt there, but a short female bartender was there. I sat down and waited a good 5 minutes before she even acknowledged me there and she was rude and unpleasant. I ordered my drink and told her I wanted to order some food also. She threw the little menu at me. I finished my drink and left and never returned. There are too many bars and restaurants in KW . I work hard for my money and I am not going to waste my time an effort and money on someone with a bad sorry attitude who is rude to me. Everyone has bad days, but dont take it out on your patrons. Never again will I patron your bar or hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank beanboyfl
Newburyport, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had been to Key West before but never stayed overnight there. The La Te Da Hotel is on Duval St. within easy walking distance to Mallory Square, Southernmost Point and Fort Taylor State Park. There is no parking on site so you take your chances on finding a spot on a nearby side street. The hotel itself is very cute with an open air pool in in the center with all rooms surrounding it. The ground floor rooms have little privacy as your outside area is also a walking path. The room was small but adequate. We did have a problem with the bathroom as the toilet had no lid, the floor was splattered with paint drops and the tub area definitely needs updating. Everything was clean though.

The restaurant was top notch -- the breakfasts were the best we've had at any hotel and they were included with the room. The dinner we enjoyed there was also excellent.

The staff are very pleasant. Since there are only 15 rooms, it would be nice if the hotel provided coffee in the lobby for early risers. They don't serve breakfast until 8:30.

I would stay again but would pay extra for a second floor room.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are more private.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple