“Fabulous! We will never stay anywhere else!!”
Review of La Te Da Hotel

La Te Da Hotel
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Tarpon Springs, Florida
“Fabulous! We will never stay anywhere else!!”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

We have been coming to Key West for several years and have stayed in different places each time just to try something different, but once we stayed at La Te Da, we cannot be happy anywhere else. The other properties were okay ( I cannot be negative about staying anywhere in paradise!), but the La Te Da has that special "something". Starting with Chris at the front desk, to the most lovely waitress who served us breakfast every morning, to Derek the bartender, EVERY employee we came in contact with made us feel like we are friends for life, instead of customers.
The property is beautiful (any negative reviewers need to remember how very old the buildings are, in fact we are lucky to be able to experience them at all). You can have your privacy and go about your business completely unnoticed, or come out and get involved as much as you want with the goings on; the piano bar, the street bar, etc. You actually have the best of both worlds and can make your choice while staying at the same place.
We have stayed in 3 different rooms and they were all roomy and furnished perfectly for the island atmosphere. The breakfast included is the best deal and delicious. Location is great...
But, my husband cautions me not to go on with any more positive insight! Because, if I convince everyone that La Te Da is the place to stay when visiting Key West, we may not be able to get a reservation when we take our next trip!!!!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MargeryBrick_NJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
New York
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I stay in Key West often and have stayed at many of the bed and breakfasts and also several of the five star resorts. This is the first one I have felt compelled to review here.

First, this hotel is one of the older hotels in the area. It has that classic Key West lodging feel that I've always enjoyed. The rooms are a bit dated but still quite nice, except for one major problem, but I'll get to that.

The restaurant and bar have a great vibe with awesome food and a super-friendly staff. Be sure to check them out when you're in town! Daily breakfast at the restaurant was included with my room - what a great treat!

Now for the bad part: TERMITES! I'm quite accustomed to small ants, spiders, gnats, etc in south Florida - no big deal. It's quite another thing though to wake up with piles of termite and their recently shed wings covering the white-tiled bathroom floor every morning. I mentioned it at the desk but was told that termites are unavoidable in the keys. I have never experienced them anywhere else in the world, much less on prior trips to Key West. The maid did her best to sweep them away daily but more quickly returned within a couple of hours.

It's very disconcerting to get up in the morning and find termites on the drapes, room divider curtains, towels, bathmat, bedroom and bathroom floor. They even got into my bathroom shaving kit. Egads! It was like a Hitchcock movie! I'm not sure if this is a seasonal clustering or if it's this way all the time, but it really ruined the enjoyment of my stay. I was so pre-occupied with worrying about bringing them home to eat my house that I found relaxation at the hotel a bit difficult.

Chunks of the hardwood floor the size of a quarter are missing where the little critters have eaten the underlying wood. I just can't believe that when termites are this obvious and this destructive that the folks at La Te Da haven't found a way to control them.

So, go to La Te Da for the food, the bar, the friendly staff but, unless you enjoy a termite infested vacation, your lodging is best found elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Bottombet
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Great staff, great location(quieter end of Duval), great breakfast included. This was our second time staying there and we'll be back. Understand what you are getting...this is not a high end hotel with big, flat screen tvs, a desk for you to work at, and the generic hotel feel. This is a laid back, friendly Key West hotel. We don't care about a small tv and we sleep like rocks with the window unit A/C blowing after spending the day out in the sun. The rooms were always clean when we got back in the afternoon. I would agree that eventually we would like to see some upgrades around the place and better prices at the bar. Overall though, we love staying there and hope others will too.

Room Tip: Go with the deluxe or luxury rooms
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Weston, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We arrived on Easter Sunday and checked out Monday the 25th of April. The hotel was very nice and Dan at the front desk was wonderful. We were able to check-in 1.5 hrs early and check-out 1 hr late at no additional charge. We stayed in room 28 a luxury king, room was spacious and clean, jacuzzi bathroom could use some work. The main sundeck by the pool was very nice and the pool was in the shade. Sundays features a "tea party" which is a primarily drag/gay party. The hotel is a gay friendly establishment, make sure you are comfortable with this before you go as you will definately experience it. The included breakfast was great, service could be friendlier though. We will be returning in June to stay in room 27 that goes out to the pool. Overall a wonderful experience at a reasonable price right on Duval, could not have asked for more.

Room Tip: Call ahead of time to book your room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Illinois
Reviewed March 26, 2011

My husband and I just returned from Key West and stayed at the LaTeDa. We loved it. Loved the breakfast, location was perfect, and really loved our room. We were on the second floor with a balcony. Hard wood floors in the room, vaulted ceilings and very comfortable bed. If you like to get lots of sun by the pool this place may not be for you. The pool area is very small, but pretty and my husband swam. I did not swim but did enjoy a very relaxing nap laying by the pool (in the shade). It feels very secluded. We walked everywhere and did not need a cab. The beach is just a couple blocks walk. I would say that if you are a light sleeper and not one to stay out late, the piano bar is very loud and lively and may keep you up. One evening, we sat on our balcony overlooking the piano player/singer and enjoyed a cocktail. The entertainment at the bar was very good.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathryn7497
Chicago
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Our second visit to La Te Da in Key West was as nice as the first, a few years ago. Stayed in a Standard room, which was just fine for the two of us. Clean room, prompt maid service, comfortable bed. Each room at this hotel is unique - we stayed in #33, which is tucked away in a secluded part with a second story balcony overlooking the small pool. Breakfast comes with the room. If the three breakfast choices seem too limiting, there is a menu to order from and pay for separately. Happy hour at the open-air bar is from 11 AM till 6 PM, but the guests are not at all rowdy. Live music during the dinner hour at the La Te Da restaurant. Location is at the "quiet end" of Duval Street, a couple of blocks from the Southernmost Point. This time we did not bother taking a car to Key West since we found everything is walkable or easy to reach by cab if necessary. Did not eat dinner at the restaurant this time, but they were busy every night and we heard nice comments about the food. Instead, we ate at Kelly's SaraBeth, and La Tattoria and enjoyed them very much. It's always great to get fresh fish and seafood when those are hard to come by in the Midwest.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoBurnham
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2011

This place was amazing. The food in the hotel was spectacular, the entertainment in the piano bar was phenomenal - the lady even gave us a copy of her CD - one of my partner's favorite movies is The Colour Purple and she sang from the soundtrack - just amazing all around. Key West was one of the best vacations I've ever taken - and I've been around the world. But the La Te Da was really exceptional. I wouldn't say luxurious, but fun, friendly, and just high end enough. We actually cancelled our nights in Miami and sucked up the penalty to stay here a couple of more nights. I can't wait to return again and again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple