“Budget Hotel - not bad”

Pegasus International Hotel
Ranked #49 of 51 Hotels in Key West
“Budget Hotel - not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2006

This is nothing to write home about but it was a great price for the location during Key West Race Week when hotels are priced high. We had a decent room, clean but not new. The pool was OK but not heated.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — Hard to find from street
  • Tips/Secrets — Great Pizza place out the front door to the right
  • Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2006

My wife and I drove to Key West on impulse (we were in Miami) and had no hotel room booked. We spent the afternoon on Duval St and didn't want to move our car, so looked for a hotel on Duval. We found the Pegasus. The hotel was sold out, save for one room, which the desk clerk showed to us before renting it to us. We assume this room was at one time a manager's apartment. It was a small room with one double bed but it served our purposes.

After walking Duval St for a few more hours, we came back to take a swim. The pool/deck area is very nice in appearance. While we were floating around in the pool, however, we saw a rat run across the deck. Yuck. And if there was any chance we were wrong about it being a rat, we were able to confirm it a bit later when the rat (I hope it was the same one) came back across the deck and climbed the lattice. I gotta say, it was pretty difficult to leave the pool and go back to our room and sleep comfortably after seeing a rat.

We reported the rat to the girl at the front desk, but she didn't seem real interested.

So, as far as the title I gave this review, if you're looking for location (and the deck area does look over Duval St), this hotel is a good choice. But if you're more concerned about sanitary room conditions, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2006

I have been staying at the Pegasus twice a year for seven years. Last week was so bad,I had to check out after the first night. The locks on the doors were so old they did not work, the pool was filthy, The TV did not work, and the staff was so rude that other guests were checking out early and finding other places to stay. And if that wasn't bad enough, after the first night in there beds, I itched for hours. After a cpld shower, because there was no hot water, I checked out and found another place.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

My husband, son, and I recently stayed at the Pegasus. We had a very nice stay and the service was good. It is an "international" hotel and all of the employees are foreign exchange students. The hotel is undergoing a facelift and our accomadations were fresh, clean, and well kept. My only complaints would be that the TV's could be bigger and the beds a little firmer. However for the price and location it can't be beat. Make sure you visit Mr. Z's restaurant next door for the best Philly cheesesteak and omlettes. They deliver 24/7 and the prices are great!

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank eatapeach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2006

I had read reviews about the Pegasus AFTER I had booked it for 3 days. So that made me a bit apprehensive when we checked in. Thankfully it lived far past the negative reviews.
Room was clean, including the sheets, first thing I checked. Bathrooms were clean. Towels were not extra large, but they did the job. Staff was friendly. As they say in Realestate, it's all about LOCATION!!!! Smack in the middle of Duval St. We parked the car, and walked for our 3 day stay.
Considering the prices of rooms in Key West during "season", The Pegasus worked just fine. For 150.00 there's no better deal, with this location.
Sure that buys a 4+ star hotel in other areas. If you don't have the $$$ Key West isn't for you, at least during the winter months, and summer, you don't want to be there. Cane season starts June 1st.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2006

Stayed at the Pegasus for a long weekend. Fair at best cust. service is to be expected. Room smelled of straight mildew, window style a/c was loud as can be, bed was the worst I think I've ever slept on. The good thing about the hotel is it is smack dab in the middle of Duval St. Which is evident at night! You can hear EVERYTHING going on on the street below. Other than that there isn't much more positive to say about the hotel. Unless you're going with a large group of friends and plan on staying out till 3 a.m. and just need a place to crash (the floor would be the best place to sleep in the room) I'd def. not recomending this hotel...although it was the cheapest I found avail....I now know why! Use caution! you've been warned!

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank Mikepc2fla
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2005

I booked a trip in mid-May to Key West as a surprise for my wife. We didn't have $300 - $400 to spend for a night in a hotel, so despite the less than glowing reviews I read about the Pegasus, I booked a night there by phone for about $150. The girl said we could book another night once we arrived if we wanted too as they were not too busy that weekend.

The approach from the side street is kind of grubby, the lobby is small but efficient, and our room with king-sized bed was dated but OK for us to crash in and have a shower in the morning.

The roof-top pool and hot-tub near the back of the deck were refreshing, and the tables and chairs at the front that overlook Duval St. were great. We had a bird's eye view of the partying on the below and we were able to figure out which direction we wanted to start (being right across from Margaritaville didn't hurt). 10 blocks to Mallory Square in one direction, 10 blocks the other way to explore too.

Coming home at 4:00 and a quick swim before bed was great. (We were politely asked to leave the pool because if they let us swim at that time, they have to let everyone swim at that time, and I guess things can get pretty rowdy).

We stayed a second night.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member