1,373 results
All reviews front porch southernmost point quiet end of duval street afternoon cookies butterfly conservatory bagels queen room small pool charming b b iced tea directly across the street south end breakfast was excellent people watching every morning breakfast is served restaurants and bars
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We decided to spend a week in Key West NOT at a beachside resort for a change. GREAT decision. Avalon B&B the best choice we could have made. It’s location can’t be better ... quiet end of Duval Street near several beaches. The fabulous K W Butterfly Conservatory across the street and the FREE Duval Loop bus at the corner.
Did I say it has it’s own pool onsite? Nice after hours at the beach or on an off day from the beach. 5⭐️

Room tip: Go for room with private balcony.
Date of stay: September 2019
avalonbnb, Manager at Avalon Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

The Butterfly conservatory is the best. What fantastic neighbors for us to have, which I think adds to our already great location.

We also have the new pocket park just at the end of the block which is almost completed and yes the Duval Loop bus stop on the corner.

For lunch don't forget the Food Truck at the Southernmost Mansion.

So thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks for passing along the recommendations. I hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

At the far end of Duval (two minutes to the Southernmost Point) is this lovely small and welcoming B&B. Although no parking, $25 a day is available right across the street... but KW isn't a place to do any driving. You walk from the Atlantic to the Gulf in 20 minutes. Complimentary iced drinks, and a decent breakfast, with great A/c rooms, Perfect for a visit, and would have no issues returning here at all. Much better option than the hotels further up the road...from here you really can do it all.
The downsides: our room didn't have a view... the pool is tiny.

Room tip: our room had no view at all, not an issue for our party, but if it is, upstairs is better
Date of stay: August 2019

Thanks so much for choosing the Avalon for your recent stay in Key West. I am so happy you enjoyed everything and certainly hope to see you again. You are correct you can pretty much walk to most all the attractions on the island in 20 -30 minutes form here.

We are as you mentioned on a much smaller scale than a regular hotel being sch a historic property in the Old Town, but try to make up for in character what we lack in size.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently booked a stay at Avalon Bed and Breakfast prior to the arrival of Hurricane Dorian. The following was listed on their website (as of today 9/14/19) with respect to cancellations:

No Worries Hurricane Policy
In the event of a hurricane watch or warning for Key West or the county in which you reside you may at that time cancel without penalty and a full refund less a $25.00 processing fee will be issued. If you have arrived on the island and an evacuation order is issued you will receive a full refund for the unused portion of your stay.

I called about 10 days prior to our stay to discuss cancelling our trip. After speaking with someone at the B&B the above $25 fee was confirmed. I knew if I canceled within 7 days I would be good to go. As much as I hated to have to cancel our vacation I decided to do so 7 days before our arrival because Dorian was reaching category 5 and it wasn't worth the gamble.

When I called back (a day later than my first call and spoke to the same person) I was still within the 7 day cancellation period. I was informed that I would be charged $50 for the cancellation (and I was). She told me that they changed the fee that day. I asked her to honor what she had just told me the day before but she refused. Now I see this on the website 2 weeks after our plans to stay at their B&B!!

I hope they are happy with the extra $25 they collected when I decided not to ride out Hurricane Dorian (which became a category 5) in Key West. The decision to collect an extra $25 instead of having a future stay that I was definitely planning to book and would bring them a whole lot more profit is something they will hopefully learn from. It is a shame and a very bad business practice but I won't be making any plans to come back to Avalon Bed and Breakfast.

Date of stay: September 2019

In response to your review, I am so sorry that you decided to cancel your booking, and missed out on a week of beautiful weather in Key West.

Please note that for the dates of your stay 9/6 - 9/9 there was no hurricane or storm either near you or us. Our hurricane policy was not in effect at that time. In fact Key West so far this year has not had a hurricane watch or warning posted.

We do see where you contacted us on August 28th, and had reiterated at that time that you were still hoping to come to Key West and not to cancel your reservation as indicated in our noted on your booking of the conversation.

Per our standard cancellation policy which was in effect for your booking when you did choose to cancel, we were entitled to charge you the one night deposit amount of $302.63. On the dates of your scheduled stay 16 out of our 19 rooms were occupied with guests enjoying the beautiful weather at that time here in Key West, and the storm to which you were referring was not applicable to us or you at that time

We did however kindly waive your $302.63 cancellation penalty down to just $50.00, which did not even cover the cost of processing fees we incurred on your booking. This had nothing to do with any Hurricane policy, and guests including yourself calling outside of that policy were advised that if they cancelled outside of the policy our normal cancellation fees would apply.

Again I am sorry you chose to cancel, and must comment that I am quite surprised at your negative e-mail being that we went outside policy and graciously issued you a refund in the amount of $252.63 and lost the revenue for the remaining nights of your booking. Small properties like ourselves have cancellation policies to protect us and ensure we can stay in business at a time when many small properties are being bought out by large corporations. We do try to go out of our way to please all our guests but sadly understand that its not always possible.

To be clear as stated on our terms and conditions when reserving and included in our correspondence.

Due to our small size, cancellations and changes made to arrival and departure dates affect us significantly. Therefore, we adhere to a strict cancellation policy, we recommend vacation rental insurance.

Standard rate reservations require a minimum of one night deposit taken at the time of reserving. Our standard cancellation policy is 7 days prior to arrival. Cancellations and/or modifications must be received at least 7 days prior to the arrival date to receive a deposit refund. Cancellations made in advance of the 7 day window will receive a full deposit refund. Cancellations received less than 7 days in advance of your arrival date will result in forfeiture of the one night deposit.

Reservations for Fantasy Fest (Oct 22nd 2019 - Oct 27th 2019), Christmas & New Year (Dec 23rd 2019 - Jan 1st 2020) require a 50% deposit or one night (whichever is greater) at the time of reserving with a 60 day cancellation policy. Cancellations received inside the 60 day window will result in forfeiture of the deposit. Fantasy Fest week - Due to the nature of the event the Avalon does not accept children of any age during Fantasy Fest week, all guests must be over 21.

Minimum stays may be applicable on weekends and during holidays and special events.

If you have chosen a non refundable rate, then the full amount of the booking will be charged at the time of reserving, which in the event of cancellation is non refundable.
There are no refunds for early departure or cancellations due to travel difficulties or inclement weather excluding hurricanes.

No Worries Hurricane Policy
In the event of a hurricane watch or warning for Key West or the county in which you reside for the dates of your stay you may at that time cancel without penalty and a full refund less a $25.00 processing fee will be issued. If you have arrived on the island and an evacuation order is issued you will receive a full refund for the unused portion of your stay.

Third Party Bookings. If you reserved through a third party such as Expedia, Booking.com or any of their affiliates any changes to your booking must be made directly with them. Any changes or cancellations to third party reservations such as Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com etc. or their affiliates must be cancelled with the same third party the reservation was originally booked through. Refunds if due cannot be processed until we receive a cancellation notice from the applicable company.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great location, very clean and well decorated room. Excellent breakfast on the beautiful front porch. Attentive and friendly staff. We had the little cottage outside pool and it was very very nice. We loved it!

Date of stay: September 2019
avalonbnb, Manager at Avalon Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so much. We certainly hope to see you again soon. Thanks for mentioning the staff, I will be certain to let everyone know.

Reviewed September 5, 2019

We liked a lot our stay at that hotel. The room was pretty, the breakfast excellent, and it is located in a very convenient place. We had a very nice attention and Key West is a super nice place. Definitely, we'd go back

Date of stay: August 2019

Ana,

I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed not just the Avalon but your time in Key West. I agree it is a wonderful place, both to live and to visit. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.