“Very very dissapointed”

Discretion Sportfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discretion Sportfishing has a NEW boat! "The Helm." Let Captain Mike Helm and 1st Mate Justin Helm take you fishing in comfort on our Custom 43' Fishing Machine. ICE COLD Air Conditioned Cabin, Clean Head and Extra Large Fishing Area.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

We spent 8 days in Key West and at the time of booking this trip the weather was perfect for any outdoor activities. But as we had heard ,towards the middle of our stay ,that weather would change we asked Capt. Mike about the chances to get out if weather would not permit it. As weather apparently is unpredictable in the Keys we decided to book a day anyway and see how it goes.
Surely enough it got windy and 2days were quite rainy and horrible. The day before our fishing trip we scuba dived and the water was rough so when things did not improve next day we turned up at the appointment time expecting to be turned away.... or to reconsider the day.
But Capt. Mike reassured us it was a good day for fishing and also told us that he would try and stay in calmer waters if we could not cope and we would get seasick.
We had come prepared, taken our tablets and because the sun was up we agreed to give it a go, although it looked quite windy.
The mate also mentioned he preferred it "a bit choppy" as good for catching sailfish.
But an hour in , we realised that we were really getting ripped off.
Water was rough, really hard to maintain balance on the boat. I went inside as drowsy and getting quite wet from the splashing waves, sometimes felt a bit "rollercoaster "like. My partner got quite queasy and sick.
So after 3h and a half of this, with only one small fish caught ,Capt. Mike decided to return. So when docking and people asking what "we" had caught his reply was "not good out there, quite rough and fish could not see bait".
I don't believe a man of his experience could not have foreseen that and I felt because he had lost business the previous days he tried to make up for it at the first chance of slightly improved weather. But we were still charged for full 6 hours (discounted 50$ out of it ...but common knowledge these trips are charged several hundreds of dollars )and also were asked a tip for the mate. Clearly stated on the side of the boat we were expected to pay an additional 20% of the agreed price.
We have travelled enough to know you only tip a good service and we were not prepared to tip in this instance for which we received a rude "hmph".
Overall a terrible and disappointing experience.

1  Thank 510MariaM
fishkilr, Owner at Discretion Sportfishing, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2014

I was disappointed to read that my charter guests were dissatisfied with there trip. I remember the day in question. An approaching cold front was due to come in that afternoon. Upon boarding guests I said I wasn't sure if we would get in the entire 6 hour fishing trip or not, but we would try. I remember a comfortable 8 mile ride out with the wind out of the north. We began fishing the color change looking for sailfish. Only after a short time I received a complaint that it was getting ruff for the charter guests. Agreed, it wasn't a blue bird day, but it was certainly fishable. In an attempt to keep the boat in calmer waters I fished in closer to the reef resulting no fish and complaints. I moved the boat again 6 miles to sheltered calm water to fish for grouper abandoning my original plan. After one pass for grouper the weather picked up with wind and rain and I decided to call the trip. We were out fishing for 5 of the 6 hours the guests had chartered the boat for. I had already discounted the trip $100.00 upon booking. Since we didn't get the entire 6 hours in and only produced one fish that day I felt bad for my guests and decided to only charge the for a half day charter which is 4 hours. I felt that was more then fair. The guests refused to tip my first mate anything at all. How rude, how could they actually expect someone to work hard for them for 0 dollars. This does not happen often but yes we had a bad day. Fishing is our passion plus what we do for a living and always look forward to a great day of fishing off Key West.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"rods"
"school"

Reviewed November 2, 2014

We came to Key West to relax. Between the two of us we have 8 children from 30-6. A well deserved break for her for sure. It had been a magical weekend, God's love just evident everywhere. We walked by the Discretion and they invited us fishing. Being a reasonably accomplished off shore fisherman I asked Captain Mike not to take us on a boat ride but to take us fishing! Boy was I in for a surprise.

We fished 10 mile from port on a 4 hour trip. Lines in and a small creo mackerel. Figured that was going to be the trip. Bunch of small junk fish. Again Captain Mike and his son Justine did not stop. The next fish a 50lb Wahoo. So here is this beautiful lady that I love cranking in a 50 lb Wahoo. Thank you Lord. That could have been the day, but no. Captain Mike and Justin worked so hard, amazing!! We ended up with 13 Black Fin Tuna, A big Wahoo, a creo mackrel and her first fishing trip that will burn a memory that will last a life time. I will have a hard time trying to top that day on my boat for the rest of my life. Thanks Captain Mike and Justine for not only taking us on a fishing trip of a life time, and I have had some good days, but for creating a memory of family, of new beginnings and of God's grace that He has for us all.

Fish with these guys, they are good. They know their stuff.

Bill K

1  Thank Bill K
Reviewed October 3, 2014 via mobile

We had the most totally amazing three quarter day fishing with Cap'n Mike and Justin.
Their expertise and exceptional eyesight meant we caught four good tuna, a barracuda and a number of bonitas.
This was our first time gamefishing and we had the time of our lives. From fighting the fish after they were on the hook, to enjoying the trip.
The boat (43') is big enough to deal with even reasonably heavy seas, the view from the bridge is commanding.
We returned to harbour just at sundown. Titanic views.
Justin expertly filleted the tuna back in harbour and we had them for supper.
We will go out again when we get back to Key West.

2  Thank luke w
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I just wanted to say that my husband, Al, and myself went on the Discretion back in October of 2012**. It was Al and my honeymoon, and we both loved fishing! We had to make sure that we went deep sea fishing because Al wanted to cross Sailfish off of his 'Fish List'. We accidentally came across the Discretion and Capt. Mike walking throughout the marina and booked for a trip the next day. Morning came and we met up with Capt. Mike and Justin, (which was quite a coincidence because we actually met Justin the night before somewhere on Duval, I think he was with his friend who was selling neckless'. Anyway, some drunk tourist threw a beer bottle in the street and it hit his head after we left. The whole point is that it is a small world!) they were so fun and professional! Needless to say, my husband got to cross Sailfish off his list (3 times actually), and 2 Tuna. We are hoping to plan a trip here soon, and we definitely know who we are going to be calling to go out on the water!