“Nice property but with little value”
Review of Smallest Bar Inn

Smallest Bar Inn
Ranked #68 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The property and the rooms are very nice (though the shower had very low pressure). However, the experience of staying there is not entirely comforting. There is no staff to speak to, and obtaining the keys from a rude and busy bartender who hastily showed us our room is not becoming of a place that charges so much per night. Impressions matter greatly, and in this case, the Old Customs House Inn doesn't do well at all.

There is little value for what you spend staying at this place. I would take my money elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J K
customshouse, Manager at Smallest Bar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

thank you. and yes sometimes a guest would have to wait until the people in front of them are taken care of and then it is your turn. Thanks for your patience and we dont need a big staff especially when the "Smallest " is right next to us ! Were happy that you did enjoy the room.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband came down for a few days and love the location of the inn..This was our second time staying and it went as well as the first! Rooms are clean and spacious. The inn is right in the middle of everything but set back so you don't hear Duval steet noise! Hotel staff and Smallest bar staff are always friendly and helpful! Stop in at the Smallest bar right next to the inn and enjoy a few drinks! We had a car this time and parked it at the city garage on Caroline and Grinnell...not a far walk to Duval. .but there is also a free shuttle if you don't want to walk with you're luggage!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pamela S
customshouse, Owner at Smallest Bar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

thank you Pam and Kevin for your review, its always a pleasure to see you !

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at this place annually for many years. It's not the best place, but the location is great! If it's cold out, the rooms can be quite chilly, especially with the gap under the door. The bed creaks, the tv is really small, and the rooms can be quite dark. I don't think that I've ever had a trip where all of the lightbulbs worked. it was quite noisy, also. For this past trip, Josh sent me an estimate of my bill prior to staying there. I had told him that I usually got the "frequent flyer" rate (i.e. the rate did not go up for the weekend, and we were there for five days). He agreed. I paid by credit card but did not get a receipt. When I got my bill, the price was even higher than the original estimate. I have been trying since January to get some money back. I've called Josh, and he always asks me to send him the E-mail with the estimate. I do, but nothing ever happens. I stayed there in January; it's now September, and there still has been no refund.

Room Tip: I usually stay upstairs in the rooms, right behind the restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sternsl

.... sorry you were unhappy all those years, our apologies.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here during Fantasy Fest. You could not ask for a better location. Everyone was super nice. We were even given chairs to sit in for the parade. This is very close to everything.
We will go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 5amccann

thanks so much for your stay!!! fantasy fest is a fun event !!!

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Quaint and personal The Old Customs House defines what a stress free trip to the Keys should be.

Carefree, relaxed, convenient, flexible, clean, and perfectly fitting for the weekend. Rooms were big and clean and perfect for a group who dont want to be to far apart and still be right Iin the middle of everything!

Josh at the desk was amazingly helpful amidst the maylay we encountered which had nothing to do with he or The Old Customs House.

We give Josh and The Old Customs house a 110% for our stay and would hope that you take a look at this place first for your next Key West visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank DirectorofAwesome

thank you for an honest and very nice review. we happy that you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My friend and I stayed for a weekend and liked it so much we stayed an extra day. The location is great, right on Duval Street within walking distance of everything. The room was clean and the staff was very nice and friendly. The price was great! Can't wait to go back to Key West and stay there again.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ivette L

thank you !!! hurry back !

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am giving this four stars primarily based on the location of this Inn. We arrived late and had an issue finding our key (it wasn't where we expected it), but the bartender at the Smallest Bar, John, was extremely helpful and friendly and was able to get us into our room at the late hour. Thanks John!

There are only four rooms here and even though it is off Duval street, it is set back a little so you don't hear any street noise. You will get noise late at night from nearby Hogs Breath and their live music, but just turn on your air conditioner and you won't even hear it.

The rooms are rather large and have a kitchenette in them. There are no frills here, so come prepared with your own shampoo/conditioner and also a hair dryer, just an FYI.. Steven was prompt in getting us fresh towels and toilet paper and making our beds each day. He was very friendly and polite. My only complaint on the room is that the furniture could use some updating. It was a little old/worn and the bed could use a stronger mattress/frame so you don't feel like you're about to break the bed when you climb in.

You cannot beat this location. It is on Duval, across and next to all the great bars. It is just a block away from Mallory Square so you can watch the sunset. Everything is in walking distance to the Inn. We would definitely stay here again when we want to be right in the middle of everything.

ps. there is a friendly cat and parrot on the property. Say hi!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cali S
customshouse, Manager at Smallest Bar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

thank you !!! we appreciate your business!