“In the hub of Old Town”
Review of Smallest Bar Inn

Smallest Bar Inn
Ranked #67 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I too was worried about the noise factor, but even tho its loud you can get used to it. Stayed for 2 nights mid January of this year. Rooms were neat and clean, The furnishings are adequate but need to be updated. Small kitchenette, with coffee maker, and microwave and fridge which is nice. No hair dryer in bathroom for the ladies. Bring one from home! OK for a few nights....have stayed lower on Duval in previous visits, but found being closer to the main area a definite plus. One of the issues is parking, but there is public parking lots available 2 blocks away and you can park in a no parking zone with flashers to unload.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Norma F

Reviewed January 6, 2008

I didn't know what to expect when we booked the Old Customs House, what a great surprise!!!

The location was perfect!!! It is not fancy or quiet, but if you are looking for a clean, perfect location to everything in Key West and the most fabulous hosts (Diane and Sonchi) this is the place for you!!!
The Smallest Bar in Key West is a great place, always fun and welcoming, We had a great deck area in the back that was perfect to sit and relax. I loved every minute of my stay!!

Our housekeeper was great, so thorough and thoughtful and honest!! I have stayed at alot of 4 star hotels in my travels, I have to admit they have been prettier and more elaborate but The Old Customs House felt like a home away from home all because of the owners, they were great!!!

I can't wait to go back, if you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep between fishing and partying on Duval Street, this is the perfect place!!!

Thanks Diane and Sonchi!!!

• Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank CHERYLAE1
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We went to Key West for a late December wedding and stayed through New Years. What a blast. The location was fantastic and Diane, her husband and their crew, made our stay wonderful. Diane really went above and beyond what most owners would do for guests. Our room was freshened every day and the maid was so sweet. We really enjoyed the upper deck to gather our large crowd for a pre-party on New Years Eve. The Smallest Bar rocks and the owner is friendly and just wants everyone to have a good time. I cannot wait to go back to the Old Customs House Inn. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank pstravelor
Reviewed September 15, 2007

We stayed here the last night of our whirlwind trip through Florida, and wished we would have stayed every night here. Keep in mind: We were 4 single guys in our young 20's just going to Key West to party and have a good time. The reviewer that said "avoid due to loud noises and partying" was the reason I chose the hotel. I picked this because it was right in the middle of all the bars. The bar owned by the Old Customs House is called the "Smallest Bar in Key West". It was the best part of our trip. The bartender would go out on duval street and bring in females to the "smallest bar". Great times!

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank BoonePickens
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I read the reviews for this place after I had already booked it and I was a little worried but it was the only place available and it was in a great location. And I was so pleasantly surprised!! The staff was really helpful, the rooms were clean and the location is amazing. Less than a block from Sloppy Joe's, it was close to all of the activities we wanted to do. It is a tad loud in the evening (it is on Duval, so big surprise) but we were in the back so, it was not too bad. I would recommend this place to anybody going to Key West to have a little fun, but doesn't mind a more interesting place to stay. It's not the Ritz, but for the price, it is well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank jen_vipp
Reviewed May 15, 2007

A group of us stayed here for 4 nights. We had been to Key West many times and knew that location was important! The inn looked great online, but we were very disappointed when we got there. The suite was actually quite small. We never saw anyone that worked there (the bartender checked us in). We never had maid service. Luckily there was a linen closet at the end of the hall where we kept getting our own supplies...clean towels, toilet paper, etc. But no one ever came to clean, pick up our trash or dirty towels. While it didnt appear to be dirty, the floors were disgusting (our feet were black because of the floor!) Being right next to Hog's Breath we knew it would be loud. I actually brought ear plugs with us based on all the reviews that I had read. I thought I wouldnt have to use them....I was wrong! Between the 'smallest bar' and Hog's Breath it was so loud we wouldnt have been able to sleep without them. If you only care about the location then this is a good place to stay for the price. But be prepared and know you are not going to stay somewhere that caters to the guest and certainly does not look as cute as the pictures make you believe!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank tes0r0
Reviewed January 11, 2007

My family checked in for the Christmas holiday. The room had not been cleaned, we had to ask twice to even get toilet paper. The beds were eventually made but room wasn't cleaned, they left dirty towels from the previous guests and didn't leave us clean towels. They closed the office and didn't return for the 4 days that we were there - not even on the day we were scheduled to check out. We had to pay a key deposit and two weeks later we still haven't received the refund and they aren't responding to us.

We paid a premium, in advance, to stay here and no one ever said they would essentially be closed during our stay. The room was supposed to have two queen beds and a twin...the twin and one queen were mattresses on the floor and the other bed was a thin wire coil mattress on a plywood slab. Worst thing was that the room windows didn't lock and anyone off the street could come up the backstairs and enter the room. Horrible place.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family