“Great place, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smallest Bar Inn

Smallest Bar Inn
Ranked #74 of 86 Key West B&B and Inns
Lake Placid, Florida, United States
“Great place, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had a great time here. We had a group of 6 people, and staying here was the best value. For the price per person we could have only stayed on the other side of the island. The management were friendly and personable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our recent retirement and booked this inn because of its proximity to Key West activities. We were VERY rudely "greeted" by the manager who yelled at us from behind closed doors (and never apologized!) at the Smallest Bar next door...that's the place you go to "check in." Very odd arrangement and very confusing. The room not only lacked the barest of essentials (such as no kleenex, only 1 bar of soap, and 2 little hangers) but also the air conditioner did not work and was stuffed with rags, plus the mattress on the bed was almost non-existent. The nice older gentlemen who worked there did try to make amends for the poor behavior of the manager. This COULD be a wonderful, quaint place to stay...under a new manager!

Room Tip: Find another place to stay even though it may cost you more
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank KarlFrincke
Mandal, norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in february and we had a very pleasant stay. A really charming place in the middle of the old town. It reminds me about French Quarter in New Orleans.

Harald Rydberg Eriksen

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank haraleri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary in September since it was also recommended to us by the father who had stayed there. We were so thrilled with the fabulous location and how spacious our room was! The mini kitchen was great for making cocktails in the room as well. We loved it so much that we booked right then for a guys weekend for my husbands birthday. They crew just got back from a wonderful trip and everyone of the guys said they LOVED it! The room was even bigger than the one we had stayed in. I think Old Custom House will have some new business soon. Key West is our favorite place to just be laid back and worry free. This place made it even easier for us to do that. Thanks for taking good care of us.

• Stayed February 2012
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary because it was recommended to me by the father who had just stayed there. We were so incredibly happy with the superior location and our room was super spacious. The room is very clean and we even made a new "cat friend". My husband loved it so much that he booked right then for his birthday weekend which he just came back from. This room was even bigger and nicer. He traveled with all the guys for this one and they loved it too. I think they will be getting some new customers coming back!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have vacationed in Key West every 3 months for the past 10 years, this wasn't my first time staying at Old Customs House Inn it is the only place I stay....It is awesome. Best spot of the Keys, especially if you enjoy shopping, site seeing and the night life! My suite was extreamly nice and cozy, hard wood floors, two comfy double beds with an extra pull-out mattress to sleep six comfortably even though I only need one bed. Very spacious and very clean. There is a bar called World's Smallest Bar and it is awesome, I can get trashed and crawl to my room if I wanted to. No need for a taxi everything you need is within walking distance, it is in the heart of Key West!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I surprised my husband with a trip to Key West for his 50th birthday. Unfortumately it was a holiday weekend and everything was booked. I reluctantly took the Old Customs House. I should have known if it was the only place available in Key West. All my fears were confirmed. First of all we almost never found who ran the place to let us in. When we finally did and he managed to find the key, we were met with the worst place I have ever stayed and I travelled around the world. Where to start.....the bathroom door would not close. There was a screen latch that held it sort of closed with about a 3" gap. There were ants all over the sink and the shower nozzle was about to pull out of the wall. The one bed was so creaky (and uncomfortable) that is would awaken the dead. But that's not the worst part. We had travelled a long way and wanted a relaxing weekend but that was not to be in this location. Being 30' from the Hog's Breath saloon we soon realized that yes, the sound does travel and the live music went on until 1:30 am. At that point they turned music on at the bar beneath us and it literally made the walls rattle until 3:00 am. Of course, we immediately begin to look for another place for the next night and were lucky enough to find rooms for one night. I had paid for 3 nights and of course there was no refund even though I am pretty sure he managed to rent it out to someone as the town was full and there were people looking for rooms. So, if you just want a place on Duval Street to pass out at 3:00 am and don't care about the surroundings then you may be OK with this place. But if you want to be rested enough to enjoy the rest of Key West then this is definitely not the place. Also, I dealt with Inn Touch, a rental agency and she said nothing about how noisy and awful this place was going to be so I would not recommend them either. She knew we had never been to Key West before and she should have warned us.

Room Tip: Stay away from Duval Street. Key West is a beautiful city full of gorgeous inns where you can sleep...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends