All reviewsbedroom cottagethe cottagesprivate islandbreakfast basketminute ferry ridethree bedroomevery morningtennis courtszero entryfull bathroomsconcierge staffevery half houralways on timeyour luggagebeach servicepartial ocean viewocean front
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I was going to write a full review but the previous reviewer says it all! The staff, grounds, cottages were all excellent. My husband and I went with another couple and rented a 2 bedroom cottage (our cottage was called Trade Winds). We had a garden view which was wonderful. Each couple had their own "big" bedroom with King size beds. Each bedroom had their own bathroom and plenty of drawer and closet space (also tv's in each room).
We were there from May 23-28 and during that time the weather was perfect except for some pretty windy days. Because of the wind we couldn't enjoy the beach like we wanted to so we went to the pool quite often - which was very nice!
We also took the water shuttle many times to Key West.
The water shuttle operates every 1/2 hour and literally takes no more than 5 minutes from dock to dock. We were not inconvenienced at all and actually enjoyed the ride and the view each time.
I also found Key West very similar to New Orleans. Plenty of bars to be found and good restaurants. One restaurant we went to for breakfast twice was the "Blue Angel" - excellent food and
the atmosphere was unlike any I've ever been to. When we first went I was a little leary about the place - it's outdoors, under trees and umbrellas, dirt floor with a few chickens and roosters roaming around (you'll see alot of this in KeyWest) but honestly
once I had my Mimosa and tried the food I was in heaven.
A couple of other restaurants I would recommend would be Island Dogs for lunch, Prime 951 for great steaks, La Trattoria for great Italian.

To end - I would highly recommend the Sunset Key Guest Cottages and Key West. I would definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank PizzaPie
Reviewed May 25, 2007

We just returned from a week-long babymoon to Sunset Key Cottages. After seeing an episode of the Travel Channel's "Great Hotels" that featured Sunset Key, my husband and I decided to give it a try as a special getaway before the birth of our first baby.

Sunset Key seemed to fit the bill for the things we wanted. We wanted a unique, private, upscale, quiet place (not some high rise hotel with throngs of people everywhere) with tropical weather, a beach, a great restaurant, a pool for days we didn't want to go to the beach, and we wanted the destination to be on the mainland.

Once in Key West, it only took about 5-10 minutes to ride the shuttle boat from the Westin to Sunset Key Island. It's a beautiful ride with friendly crew members. There are only 37 cottages on the island for guests (not including the residences on the island) which made us feel like we were 2 of a small number of guests. It wasn't crowded at all...and we liked that very much. We stayed in cottage 701 (Sanctuary -each cottage has a name) The first night we were there, our bedroom air conditioner conked out. I called the front desk, someone was there in less than 2 minutes and replaced the entire unit. They also opened up the 2nd bedroom of the cottage just in case to make sure I had a cool room to sleep in that night (in case the replacement was faulty)! That means a lot to a woman who is 6 months pregnant, believe me! (We rented a one bedroom - so the other half of the cottage that included the 2nd bedroom was locked and closed off) I was impressed with their promptness and professionalism. I was told twice by the concierge, "We just want you to be satisfied."

The next day we got a basket of muffins and pound cake with fruit for breakfast with a newspaper. I liked having that each morning. The fridge was well stocked and there was also a basket of goodies on the dining table to choose from. We liked having the kitchenette, a TV in both the bedroom and the living area, and having an extra bathroom besides just the one off the bedroom to use. I liked being able to fill out a grocery list and have our groceries shopped for by someone before we even arrived. Nice touch!

I read negative comments about Sunset Key beach service before but we did not experience anything bad at all. We found the beach employees to be very attentive, we did not have to wait for towels or lounger pads, and we were asked many times if we wanted drinks or food from the restaurant. One bit of advice is to buy Aqua socks or beach shoes (not flip flops) to wade into the ocean. The beach, beginning at the water’s edge, is very rocky and I saw many people painfully wade in and out wishing they'd bought something to protect their feet! The beach is small but nice......the only thing I wish is that Westin guests were not allowed on the Sunset Key beach. I think Sunset Key guests are paying prices that should give them beach exclusivity. We never used the pool but did drop by to look at it. It was very nice and well landscaped.

The one restaurant on the island was wonderful. We ordered room service many times and also ate in the restaurant as well. We found the food to be excellent and got great service with the exception of one rude waiter one night. The rest of the time, the staff couldn't have been any nicer or more friendly. My favorite was the lobster duo and mixed green salad. Yummy!

We took the boat shuttle over to Key West several times. We were glad it ran every half hour. Being pregnant, I couldn't participate in Key West bar drinking, but my hubby and I had a great time going to different restaurants and touring. Key West reminded us of a whole city of Bourbon Streets (New Orleans). That's what was great about Sunset Key. You can take the shuttle boat and be involved in all the hub bub of Key West but go back to Sunset Key for peace and quiet. And you can do as much or as little as you like.

Other points: I liked the large showers, comfy mattress and fluffy soft bed linens. The robes were wonderful as well. We liked the turn down service - they were always cordial and friendly if we happened to be there. The concierge was always a big help when I called them and have a computer in their office for guests to use to check email. They also have DVD's for guests as well. I liked the gift shop and again experienced friendly service there. We liked coming in every evening to find our dishes washed in the dishwasher including the coffee pot. We also liked having the outside showers by the back porch of our cottage to rinse away beach sand from ourselves and our clothing/shoes before going inside each evening. My husband certainly appreciated the staff checking with him to see if he needed restock of the alcoholic drinks provided in our cottage as well. Only one other maintenance occurrence happened....we had a toilet that wouldn't flush one day and a sink that was clogged. Again, after calling the front desk, someone was there within minutes to fix both things within a 30 minute period.

I would recommend Sunset Key to anyone.....my husband and I thought it was such a special place and we came home totally rested and recharged. We loved spending late evenings on our cottage porch in the rocking chairs feeling the ocean breeze blow. I was so sad to leave! We will remember our babymoon at Sunset Key as being a very special one! Feel free to email me if you have other questions I didn’t answer in this review.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank SweetHomeAL83
Reviewed February 12, 2007

We have been going to Sunset Key for the past 5 years. It is our favorite vacation. It is the best of both worlds because you can either take it easy or go into town and do whatever you like. Our usual day is get up have breakfast on the beach, go into town to shop or see an attraction, go back to the island and relax by the pool and then shower and go back to town for dinner and stroll down Duval. It is never boring. I give this resort the highest review.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family