All reviewsbedroom cottagethe cottagesprivate islandbreakfast basketminute ferry ridethree bedroomevery morningtennis courtszero entryfull bathroomsconcierge staffevery half houralways on timeyour luggagebeach servicepartial ocean viewocean front
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My wife and I made reservations and took four other friends of ours (2 couples) and stayed in one of the three bedroom cottages on Sunset Key. The staff at the hotel and on the fairy were all very prompt and polite. All of our belongings were taken to and from our rooms, and nothing was ever lost, stolen or broken. The cottage was very comfortable (not even comparable to a hotel). The place was quite roomy and really felt like a home. Any problems (couple of minor things) were fixed with a simple phone call. The only thing I noticed was that the place could have used a couple of repairs/upgrades. For instance, the door frame to our room was falling apart. It wasn't really an issue, but it just seemed like it should be fixed, especially for the amount of money you pay to stay there.

The Island was beautiful, and very relaxing. Though I did not get a chance to visit the pool or spa area, my wife and her friends absolutely loved it! They spent quite a bit of time at the pool and on the beach. My friends and I all went fishing off of the beach and on the docks. Fishing was great, as long as you had the right bait.

One thing I absolutely did not like was the staff at the restaurant (Latitudes). The first night we all (all 3 couples) decided to place an order and pick it up to bring it back to the room. The first person we spoke to seemed pretty nice, but we could not understand him so we had to speak to a second individual. If I'm not mistaken, the next person on the phone was a manager? However, they were very rude to my wife and friend on the phone. Any questions that were asked, had a very short and rude answer. Simply asking about sides and portion sizes seemed to upset the manager. I'm sorry, but when I am spending right at $200 for dinner, I expect to be treated nicely in return. When my wife and her friend went to pick up the dinner, they were also treated very rudely in person by the woman (maybe manager?) that tended to them.

As much as I hated to do so, we placed another order with them the next night and had room service deliver it to our cottage. That time, the staff were a little nicer to us (after having to complain previously). Even though we were treated better on the second night eating there, If we were not all so tired, we would have left the island and eaten elsewhere.

In the end, we had a great time staying at the island. When we go back, I don't think that I will be able to stay at a regular hotel or bed and breakfast after being in such a nice comfortable place like one of the cottages. One other great thing about Westin is that they were able to refer my friends and I to a great fishing charter, Captain Bill with Giggling Tarpon. Though the weather was not the greatest, it turned out to be the highlight of my trip and my friends and I were able to catch about 17-18 Dolphin (Mahi Mahi). Anyone looking for a great fishing trip, I highly recommend Captain Bill with the Giggling Tarpon.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We had the most wonderful experience! I took my wife, her sister and our 2 young daughters for our 5th wedding anniversary and stayed in the “Monet” cottage (partial ocean view, mostly garden). The oceanfront cottages were Amazing! Jessica, one of the concierges made sure our stay would be a memorable one. I surprised my wife and her sister with a pre-arranged one hour in cottage Swedish massage. We were all surprised by a post massage delicacy; amazing strawberry dipped in chocolate platter. The masseuses were punctual, professional and fantastic!

The Island was Immaculate filled with gorgeous variations of bougainvillea and other floral gems. There is always an oceanic breeze wherever you go; a subtle reminder of why you came in the first place. The pool/jacuzzi was very nice. The bar was great. The beach with its hammocks and soft sand was as good as it gets.

Our cottage was impeccable and had all the amenities one can hope for. Key West Victorian Architecture, high ceilings throughout, 3 full bathrooms, ample sized bedrooms, full kitchen and living rooms. The daily breakfast wicker basket delivered to your front door contained a newspaper, fresh fruit, variety of danish/muffins and in our fridge we had bottles of freshly squeezed orange juice waiting for us each morning as well as coffee. What a great way to start the day!

They are building a new facility for the Latitudes restaurant and a shopping arcade (looks to be ready in a couple of months). We did not experience any construction noise as others have indicated. The exterior of the new structure is completed that might explain why. Latitudes was magnificent (compliments to the chef), the ambience and food were 1st rate. On a side note, you must make it to Blue Heaven Cafe in Key West for Breakfast during your stay, well worth the wait!

The ferry was very convenient (my girls loved it) and the entire staff throughout the Island was very friendly and helpful. Once you familiarize yourself with the schedule, you never have to wait.

If you are looking for either a romantic getaway or just a quiet, serene family retreat this place is for you. Even though the Island views are incredible, I would still recommend watching the Sunset at Mallory Square, there is something spiritual about that place. The sidewalk entertainment, the aroma of fresh conch fritters, street music is second to none. Watching hundreds of people clap after the Sun goes down speaks for itself.

I implore you to look at the attached pictures to support my opinion. We cannot wait to return to Sunset Key! A special thanks to Jessica and the entire Island staff for their special attention to detail and their wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank HookandTackle
Reviewed March 21, 2010

This resort was the best! 32 cottages on a private gorgeous island - with a pool and beach that felt like you were the only one there. The cottages are beautiful. The service is outstanding. We wil go back EVERY year.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jack M
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Our organization held 4 day meeting here using both cottages on Sunset Key & rooms in main building. We had several meals cartered by hotel. Cookout by the pool was satisfactory & had nice dinner at Audubon House.
However, our master account billing was an absolute mess. We were mis-billed, double billed, not billed at all, etc. The sales people tried to be helpful but were essential useless as the "accounting department & corporate" controlled the issues. While some minor accommodations were made, our organization was "screwed over".
Nice facility, just watch your bill.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank David G
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I reviewed this place in November 2007; it remains one of our favorites. I don't know of a similar place in the US where you get the serenity and view of this island. We were here in the middle of a cold snap and that was too bad but we still had a nice time. Lunch and dinner at Latitudes is excellent; breakfast leaves something to be desired in certain areas where they cut corners (ie: potatoes that come with eggs; expired yogurt served at breakfast). It is silly that they don't fix these areas that they certainly know about since we commented about these items 2 years ago. Otherwise, it's a great place to go with the kids and to chill out. Even if you think Key West is a waste, this place is worth the visit.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family