“Relaxation”

Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Atlanta, Georgia
“Relaxation”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

This resort is what you expect when you stay here. The brand promises consistency of premium accommodations.

The scenery is breathtaking and the rooms are wonderfully comfortable. You'll be sure to get a great nights sleep and be rested and refreshed for your vacation!

Worth the cost to enjoy your stay.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Chris S
WestinKW, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed a relaxing and restful vacation and look forward to your return visit in the future!

Warm regards,

Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I've been to Key West countless times, but Sunset Key gave me a fresh perspective. It's a lovely way to be in the heart of Key West yet tucked away in tranquility at the same time. The five-minute boat ride to the island never feels inconvenient and it drops off right by Mallory Square. The amenities and service at Sunset Key are first-rate but still relaxed. Although it's not an inexpensive stay, it's not pretentious. Absolutely worth it. A special thanks to Mack for working out a great scuba diving trip, Tanya for her excellent service at Latitudes (patiently taking bunches of family sunset pics), and Bryan on "city" side desk at the Westin who was so helpful in making our check in/out smooth. Don't miss the spa (exceptional massages) or dining at Latitudes (lobster & crab cake is a must).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank FTLtraveler

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I returned for the second time thinking the experience would be matched by the same level of customer service you would naturally expect at these price levels. It was perfect. But not this time. Laying by the pool listening to the chatter of the guests in disbelief as 2 hours of mowing, edging and blowing surrounded us with flying debris and noise that left everyone shaking their head. One walked a live mower just a foot from kids hanging out on the chairs. Unbelievable!!! Then they come back blowing it everywhere....on towels and drinks. One edger clipped my husbands leg with a piece of concrete. We complained and they just apologized and said they would "correct" the matter, but like all the other "corrections and excuses", nothing changed. Sorry doesn't cut it. Taking our complaint to a higher level. Customer service is reluctant and you should just pay up and shut up. Don't expect warm and friendly. You will not get that here. We will spend the money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FaithH365

Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We will only stay here when we go to the keys from now on. We went with four couples and 7 kids. We each had our own cottage. This is a beautiful and simple resort. We had an ocean view, although I do not think that it is necessary if the price is an issue. All of the cottages are near enough to the water. They are simply elegant. Small, but sufficient kitchens and each room has its own bath. The food at the resort was delicious. The shuttle back and forth runs every half hour and is a very quick trip. We felt safe enough to send the kids back to the resort while we stayed at the bars at key west. This was a great trip for all of us.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank naplesgirl5

Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Celebrating two graduations, one from college and one from high school, our travel agent lined up our vacation to Sunset Key. After a short taxi ride from the airport, our check in at the Key West Westin was quick and easy and we found them to be quite personable! Infact, during our stay, we regularly popped in for water, a/c and for questions (also, I enjoyed smelling their green tea signature scent which they pumped in). They seemed to welcome the questions whereas the employees at Sunset Key were on the "reserved" side so we felt more comfortable asking them.

Taking the Westin's Sunset Key ferry is no problem! It runs every thirty minutes to and fro. We found the boat employees extremely nice and helpful. They always greeted us with a smile. Even late night hours. They packaged our luggage, tied it down and we were on our way. They delivered it to our cabin promptly so you will not be without your luggage but only a few minutes.

Let me say this: Sunset Key is gorgeous! It is like living in a postcard. The grounds are amazingly tropical and supremely manicured. We stayed in a garden cottage across from the pool named "Lazy Days" which suited our needs. We found it easy to get to the dock and the pool was right there (there were two events which ran into the late night while we were there. The noise bothered my husband but I was okay). Also, one night, someone left the pool bar TV on and that did bother me. Nice light colors throughout with pops of color on the doors and some bathroom tiles (which I loved). We were surprised to find individual air conditioners/heating units in all rooms and were pretty noisy at times. I was really disappointed as I am a light sleeper at times. The pillows were comfortable but the comforter and sheets seemed to slip around, seemed short-sheeted. The bathrooms were excellent!

If you get a chance, take a stroll around this beautiful island. There are some fine private homes to the rear but mainly for the plants. And there are no cars, I really enjoyed that.

We went to Santiago's Bodega for dinner twice and also to Blue Heaven twice. The food we found in Key West was very good, at least where we ended up. We decided to eat at Latitudes one night as one of the boat employees told us it was five-star. We arranged to sit inside as the weather had been kinda iffy and a storm did come up so we were happy to be inside. It struck us that our server was not out to make us that happy, however, was super sweet to the couples she was serving. We could not figure this out. The four of us were well-dressed and kind to her. We were a family celebrating graduations and enjoying ourselves. We have eaten in Europe, New Orleans, Washington, DC and our food was okay. I wouldn't classify this as a five-star and the service was pretty bad. Our server only poured our wine once and we bought two bottles of wine! We gave her 15% but didn't want to. I would have gone back to Santiago's for sure.

The beach was typically rocky as are most Key West beaches. If you have sensitive feet, just bring some water shoes. I noticed that some who brought flip flops lost them. I actually found a spot with less rocks near the point to enter the water. I loved the beach watching the boat traffic and birds.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank nancy4300
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Just returned from our second visit on Sunset Key. We stayed 5 nights in a 2 bedroom pool view cottage. The grounds were well maintained and beautiful. Staff attentive and the cottages in great condition. The meals at Latitudes were delicious. In my opinion, Latitudes Restaurant has the best view in Key West. It is my favorite waterfront dining restaurant in Key West and possibly Florida. My only negative comments would be the air conditioning unit runs a little loud at night and the pool was very warm. These two issues were not a big deal to me, but I wanted to share.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Lazy Days two bedroom cottage with a pool view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Judi W
WestinKW, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, July 1, 2014

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

First off, this property is beautiful. It's a one of a kind property whose beauty and peacefulness is unmatched. The only issue is that they're the "only game in town" and their service reflects this.

You'd be lucky to get someone on the phone to order food in less than 10 minutes and three connections. The desk staff is hit or miss. Had an awesome person help me, and also had a guy who wouldn't even pick up his head to answer a question. They lost a package I had left for me and the checkin process is a debacle.

I noticed there don't seem to be any Standard Operating Protocol. I had to move rooms and check in 2 times and the procedure was different both times . . . Both inefficient.

Anyhow, for the cost of the cottages I would have expected much better service. I loved the property but was so disappointed in the service. I'll be back but my expectations will be much lower . . .

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ben B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort and providing you with the experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.