“Great place”

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
“Great place”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We flew into Key West and arranged through the hotel travel from the airport. Check in was easy and bags were taken directly to our cottage. We took the hotel boat (5 minutes) to the island and were able to get to our room two hours earlier than the quoted 4 o'clock. The room was clean and well stocked. After unpacking we went directly to a store to buy milk, eggs, bread and cereal for the week. CVS is right on the corner of Front and Duval one block from the Westin and they carry everything to include alcohol. Each morning we received our breakfast basket which included pound cake, muffins, oranges, apples and bananas. That comes between 8 and 830. Room is cleaned anywhere from 10 to 3 each day. Beach is cleaned every morning around 630 or so. Boat runs from island to Key West at the top and bottom of the hour. Boat goes back to island at quarter past and of the hour. They have another boat available if you really have to be somewhere and they will make special trips. Lots to see and do in the town. Fishing is great, people are friendly and we didn't see or have any problems in or around town. Pool and two hot tubs on island are clean and well supplied with towels. There is also an outdoor bar at the pool where you can also order food from Lattitudes on the island. I paid after taxes 1250 per night but others we talked to paid 900 per night with a 100 food coupon so shop for deals. I thought I did and booked 5 months ago. Another couple booked 1 month ago and got a much better deal...go figure? I am not complaining though because that is where I wanted to stay and wasn't taking any chances that it not be available. From what I know the island is booked for the entire month of Feb, unless someone cancels. Staff is fantastic and very accommodating so don't be afraid to ask for anything.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room on the island. If you want to be on the water request it. If you don...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ALANUSAF
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay on Sunset Key and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Marketing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 28, 2014

You don't design a cottage with two bedrooms on the first floor, the third bedroom and common rooms on the second floor and give those accommodations to an elderly couple that have trouble climbing stairs to the living room! Clear glass front doors make it imposable to walk around without being fully clothed! The bathtub was unbelievably small, slippery and dangerous without a bathmat or grab bars (I fell once!). Housekeeping was slow and inefficient. I should not have to ask for washcloths or plastic drinking cups. My wife and I frequently stay at five stair hotels and resorts at this price level, our whole experience at Sunset Key Guest Cottages would only rate as a two to two and a half stairs. I never would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JohnSawicki
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. The two bedroom and the three bedroom deluxe cottages are ground level. The three bedroom and four bedroom cottages are two levels. We have floor plans with the layout of the cottages available on our website.Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Springfield - Springfield Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed in Key West many times and was VERY excited to stay at Sunset Key Guest Cottages. The thought of having our own beach was very appealing to me. I couldn't have been more disappointed. I honestly don't know where to start. The service is beyond terrible. I'm not a snob but if I'm paying close to $1000.00 a night to stay somewhere, I should EXPECT good service, right? WRONG! When calling the front desk, it took them FOREVER to answer the phone if they answered it at all. The beach was pretty but don't go into the water without your water shoes...FILLED with rocks. I saw people carrying their children in the ocean because nobody wanted to scrape their feet on the hard rocks. The restaurant there looked amazing but don't let looks fool you. The service is poor and the food is mediocre. If you do get a chance to sit outside and watch the sunset be prepared to have half of the restaurant huddle over you while taking pictures of the sunset. You actually have to eat while people are arranging family members around your table to get pictures of the sunset....and there's a line of people doing this!!! Sooooooooooo annoying. Not to mention you have to wait forever to get a seat. One night my family went out to eat dinner there (we had a reservation) and had to wait close to one hour to be seated. I'm not sure why because it wasn't like the restaurant was packed. We complained, they apologized. The next day my sons were set to go on a snorkeling trip that the resort recommended and booked for us. My husband brought my children there, they went on the trip but then it was decided that it was too rough to go snorkeling so they went for "a sight seeing tour" and people drank liquor while my sons sat their bored to death. This happened to us TWO DAYS IN A ROW! I flipped out. Not only had the resort booked this trip for us but would not return our money because they went out on the boat. I told them that my sons didn't enjoy nor did I pay for them to cruise around Key West and watch a bunch of adults get hammered on the boat. Their resolution? Dinner at the restaurant (can't recall it's name, sorry). So we get there, again had to wait about 20 minutes although we had a reservation...again! The bill came to something like $257.00. The waiter comes up to us and says "Sorry, you owe us $7.00 for the rest of the bill and BTW, the tip is not included. COULDN'T EVEN BELIEVE HE SAID THIS TO US!!! I've NEVER not left a tip in my life but if it weren't for my husband I would have given him NOTHING for his stupidity. I honestly could go on, and on, and on but I hope you get my drift. I just stayed in Marco Island recently and payed half of what I payed to stay here and the service was EXCEPTIONAL. I couldn't stop thanking those people enough for having good people skills. It means a lot. I think you could overlook a lot when you stay somewhere but if the service is terrible, you would just choose to spend your money somewhere else. Choose somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
37 Thank diamondlil1717
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Key West is a great destination. Sunset Key is one of two great hotels located on islands in the area (the other does not allow kids to stay). The resort itself has got great suites, and although they could use a light brush-up, the rooms are large and well planned. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage with a separate living room and kitchen as well as three bathrooms and a partial sea-view. For USD 1,800 per night over new years it was expensive but worth it (we have three kids). The restaurant makes very good food for decent prices, and the boat to shore leaves every 30 minutes so its possible to access all the restaurants in Key West. The tennis courts, the beaches, the fishing as well as the fitness are all 1st class. We had some small issues whilst there, and the manager took really good care of us. We will be coming back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Gudleiv
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return visit!

Marketing Manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

After being disappointed that our oceanfront suite was mostly a cruise ship view, the staff responded by moving us to Sunset Key which is a magical and superior property - very private and beautifully appointed cottages on the beach -- service at the pool and restaurant has been impeccable. The sweetest and kindest staff ever - VIP treatment. Thank you Westin management for working with our travel agent, Susan at Tangerine Travel, and turning this segment of of our trip into a very pleasant
experience -- looking forward to returning to this property in the future.
Norm and Brenda Toomey
Seattle, WA

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

New York City
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The location and hotel itself is beautiful. The restaurant Latitudes is equally beautiful with great service and food. The hotel really falls down when it comes to service. There were many things broken in the room which even after several calls still had not been fixed...like the air conditioning. Turn down service is a bunch of towels and some chocolate, the rest is left up to you. Our dirty towels and room service trays were left out in front on the ground most of the day until a different crew came to pick them up. Arrival and Departure service leaves much to be desired. They have to fix how you get checked in at the Westin; check out you have to hope that someone will show up for your bags and hope even more if you cab is there for the airport. The concierge never returned emails prior to arrival so that was a pretty bad sign. The pool area is adequate but not towel/chair service. For the prices they charge, they need to step it up considerably.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank nycluxtravel
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great place, great location. Love watching the tarpon at night by the dock. Staff very attentive. Would give it 5 stars but the restaurant brings the place down ( Been there a couple of times and its just ok. )

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LovetheBeach36
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. All reviews are passed along to staff for training and improvement purposes.