“Overrated”

Sunset Key Cottages
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed in Key West many times and was VERY excited to stay at Sunset Key Guest Cottages. The thought of having our own beach was very appealing to me. I couldn't have been more disappointed. I honestly don't know where to start. The service is beyond terrible. I'm not a snob but if I'm paying close to $1000.00 a night to stay somewhere, I should EXPECT good service, right? WRONG! When calling the front desk, it took them FOREVER to answer the phone if they answered it at all. The beach was pretty but don't go into the water without your water shoes...FILLED with rocks. I saw people carrying their children in the ocean because nobody wanted to scrape their feet on the hard rocks. The restaurant there looked amazing but don't let looks fool you. The service is poor and the food is mediocre. If you do get a chance to sit outside and watch the sunset be prepared to have half of the restaurant huddle over you while taking pictures of the sunset. You actually have to eat while people are arranging family members around your table to get pictures of the sunset....and there's a line of people doing this!!! Sooooooooooo annoying. Not to mention you have to wait forever to get a seat. One night my family went out to eat dinner there (we had a reservation) and had to wait close to one hour to be seated. I'm not sure why because it wasn't like the restaurant was packed. We complained, they apologized. The next day my sons were set to go on a snorkeling trip that the resort recommended and booked for us. My husband brought my children there, they went on the trip but then it was decided that it was too rough to go snorkeling so they went for "a sight seeing tour" and people drank liquor while my sons sat their bored to death. This happened to us TWO DAYS IN A ROW! I flipped out. Not only had the resort booked this trip for us but would not return our money because they went out on the boat. I told them that my sons didn't enjoy nor did I pay for them to cruise around Key West and watch a bunch of adults get hammered on the boat. Their resolution? Dinner at the restaurant (can't recall it's name, sorry). So we get there, again had to wait about 20 minutes although we had a reservation...again! The bill came to something like $257.00. The waiter comes up to us and says "Sorry, you owe us $7.00 for the rest of the bill and BTW, the tip is not included. COULDN'T EVEN BELIEVE HE SAID THIS TO US!!! I've NEVER not left a tip in my life but if it weren't for my husband I would have given him NOTHING for his stupidity. I honestly could go on, and on, and on but I hope you get my drift. I just stayed in Marco Island recently and payed half of what I payed to stay here and the service was EXCEPTIONAL. I couldn't stop thanking those people enough for having good people skills. It means a lot. I think you could overlook a lot when you stay somewhere but if the service is terrible, you would just choose to spend your money somewhere else. Choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
37  Thank diamondlil1717
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

There are newer reviews for Sunset Key Cottages

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Key West is a great destination. Sunset Key is one of two great hotels located on islands in the area (the other does not allow kids to stay). The resort itself has got great suites, and although they could use a light brush-up, the rooms are large and well planned. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage with a separate living room and kitchen as well as three bathrooms and a partial sea-view. For USD 1,800 per night over new years it was expensive but worth it (we have three kids). The restaurant makes very good food for decent prices, and the boat to shore leaves every 30 minutes so its possible to access all the restaurants in Key West. The tennis courts, the beaches, the fishing as well as the fitness are all 1st class. We had some small issues whilst there, and the manager took really good care of us. We will be coming back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view!
5  Thank Gudleiv
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return visit!

Marketing Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

After being disappointed that our oceanfront suite was mostly a cruise ship view, the staff responded by moving us to Sunset Key which is a magical and superior property - very private and beautifully appointed cottages on the beach -- service at the pool and restaurant has been impeccable. The sweetest and kindest staff ever - VIP treatment. Thank you Westin management for working with our travel agent, Susan at Tangerine Travel, and turning this segment of of our trip into a very pleasant
experience -- looking forward to returning to this property in the future.
Norm and Brenda Toomey
Seattle, WA

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The location and hotel itself is beautiful. The restaurant Latitudes is equally beautiful with great service and food. The hotel really falls down when it comes to service. There were many things broken in the room which even after several calls still had not been fixed...like the air conditioning. Turn down service is a bunch of towels and some chocolate, the rest is left up to you. Our dirty towels and room service trays were left out in front on the ground most of the day until a different crew came to pick them up. Arrival and Departure service leaves much to be desired. They have to fix how you get checked in at the Westin; check out you have to hope that someone will show up for your bags and hope even more if you cab is there for the airport. The concierge never returned emails prior to arrival so that was a pretty bad sign. The pool area is adequate but not towel/chair service. For the prices they charge, they need to step it up considerably.

10  Thank nycluxtravel
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great place, great location. Love watching the tarpon at night by the dock. Staff very attentive. Would give it 5 stars but the restaurant brings the place down ( Been there a couple of times and its just ok. )

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LovetheBeach36

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. All reviews are passed along to staff for training and improvement purposes.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We loved the location--a quick boat ride to the heart of Key West (I found keeping to the ferry schedule a bit stressful, but no one else in my family did so there you go) but a lovely place to relax. Our "cottage" was wonderful.
Certain amenities were delightful--especially the morning muffin basket, the afternoon bottled water and OJ delivery. My family also loved the pool and whirlpools.
Breakfast outside at Latitudes was a true luxury (so much so that dinner there was not as big a deal because we enjoyed it so often).The staff there was fabulous. My son caught a huge fish on a fishing trip and they very nicely prepared it for lunch and the waiter made a big deal. The bartenders at the Latitudes bar and the pool bar were also very pleasant.
If you are used to tropical vacations and perhaps also familiar with Key West, this is your place. We do not have that background. We felt a bit on our own when deciding on the best things to do and where to eat. The concierges had lots of brochures but did not provide much guidance. They were happy to make reservations for us for any activity or restaurant, but it felt as though they had been trained, not like they really knew.
Because it is a unique property in Key West, I wouldn't let this keep me from staying there, but I was glad we came armed with restaurant and activity recommendations from the friend of a friend.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maybeinerror

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Caveat: this is a review of Sunset Key during Christmas week, the busiest week of the year.

This is a gorgeous Westin property. The location is perfect: near enough to Key West to easily enjoy it but not in the hubbub. The ferry is terrific: always on time and a just long-enough ride to enjoy yourself but not regret that you're staying on Sunset Key. The cottages are great: airy and large and filled with conveniences. The grounds are beautiful. Latitudes Restaurant has delicious food at breakfast and dinner, and the bar has great "snacks." The breakfast baskets are filled with wonderful pastries. The newspaper is delivered to your door -- even the NYTimes if you want it. The Saturday morning yoga-on-the-beach is very well done. And the sunset views from the dock are magical.

So, what's the downside? The very inconsistent service. It all started when we arrived at the main Westin and the young man checking us in argued with my husband about his SPG status. Really? It took three go-rounds to get our bill right at checkout. Why? They kept charging us for valet parking even though we didn't have a car. One time our pre-ordered airport taxi was there; one time it wasn't. Most "interesting?" Our dinner reservation for December 25 was made at a restaurant that is closed on Christmas. Fortunately, when we called back to the concierge on duty he was able to get us a table at the last minute. Yes, they want you to have an excellent experience, but my sense is that some of the staff doesn't yet have the experience to handle the job. And in a small place -- 40 cottages -- there may not be backup staff to help out.

On the other hand, Dan L. -- at Latitudes -- is one of the best waiters we've ever had.

None of the problems we encountered -- and there are more -- are deal-breakers, but when a guest is paying the rates at Sunset Key, then the guest doesn't expect any hitches.

Bottom line: I look forward going back. Just not during the busiest week of the year.

Room Tip: Sand Key cottage is very well situated.
2  Thank CDinDC20009
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, the grounds and the amenities we offer. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to Sunset Key in the future!