Caveat: this is a review of Sunset Key during Christmas week, the busiest week of the year.
This is a gorgeous Westin property. The location is perfect: near enough to Key West to easily enjoy it but not in the hubbub. The ferry is terrific: always on time and a just long-enough ride to enjoy yourself but not regret that you're staying on Sunset Key. The cottages are great: airy and large and filled with conveniences. The grounds are beautiful. Latitudes Restaurant has delicious food at breakfast and dinner, and the bar has great "snacks." The breakfast baskets are filled with wonderful pastries. The newspaper is delivered to your door -- even the NYTimes if you want it. The Saturday morning yoga-on-the-beach is very well done. And the sunset views from the dock are magical.
So, what's the downside? The very inconsistent service. It all started when we arrived at the main Westin and the young man checking us in argued with my husband about his SPG status. Really? It took three go-rounds to get our bill right at checkout. Why? They kept charging us for valet parking even though we didn't have a car. One time our pre-ordered airport taxi was there; one time it wasn't. Most "interesting?" Our dinner reservation for December 25 was made at a restaurant that is closed on Christmas. Fortunately, when we called back to the concierge on duty he was able to get us a table at the last minute. Yes, they want you to have an excellent experience, but my sense is that some of the staff doesn't yet have the experience to handle the job. And in a small place -- 40 cottages -- there may not be backup staff to help out.
On the other hand, Dan L. -- at Latitudes -- is one of the best waiters we've ever had.
None of the problems we encountered -- and there are more -- are deal-breakers, but when a guest is paying the rates at Sunset Key, then the guest doesn't expect any hitches.
Bottom line: I look forward going back. Just not during the busiest week of the year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunset Key Cottages is a secluded tropical island sanctuary located just 500 yards off the coast of Key West, featuring private cottages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz and Jetsetter so you can book your Sunset Key Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Key Guest Cottages, a Westin Hotel Key West
- Westin Key West
- Key West Westin
- Sunset Key Cottages Guest