“Great, but needs to work on Customer Service (Concierge)”

Sunset Key Cottages
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Key West
colorado
“Great, but needs to work on Customer Service (Concierge)”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

This was my fourth time to Sunset Key in less than three years. My wife and I love this place. We traveled with her parents on this trip. Sunset Key is an amazing little island, it is a 10 minute ferry ride to Key West. We would stay on the island all day and then go into town for dinner at night. The Island landscaping is superb, they are always trimming and watering and planting it really is a lush tropical island makes it feel more secluded than it is. The views for Sunset are better than anywhere on the actual Island of key west. The food at the restaurant for dinner or for lunch is excellent not cheap, but great food and you get what you pay for. The bar tender at the bar Marcus (spelling may be wrong), is the best bar tender we have been around. Very professional friendly, my drinks were always great and I never even had to ask for another he just knew. My wife would just tell him kind of what she wanted and he would make it perfect every time. He is the kind of employee that most companies would dream to have. I hope they appreciate his service as much as we did. Only big problem for me was the concierge (One person to be exact). I had called her and told her that we were getting in early the next day and wanted to know if we could get an early check in. She told me that we could check in at 12:00 as she knew the party that was staying in our cottage was leaving earlier., (This was the day before we got there). We get to the Island at 12 and she greets us, I explain that I talked to her on the phone and she tells me that she did not say 12, but that our cottage would not be ready for another 2 hours. These cottages are not even 1000 sq ft, I am a home builder and have cleaned hundreds of houses I could have cleaned the cottage in 30 minutes. We ended up waiting for 2-1/2 hours for our cottage. Once we got to our cottage, I went around and looked to see how many cottages were vacant. I would say that over 30% of the cottages (low end) were vacant, but they made us wait for 2-1/2 hours after traveling all day. This would be ok if I was staying at a $200 per night hotel but not a $1000 per day resort. She did not care and was flat out rude to me. Further more our luggage was lost by our airline and I explained to her that we needed some assistance with this matter. She did nothing to help, she did not even make a phone call, I watched her for an hour sit at her desk online. She did not even call housekeeping to try and speed up the process. After this our trip was great, until we had to deal with the concierge on our last day. Our flight did not leave key west until 6:00 pm so I called and asked her if we could check out at 2:00 pm to enjoy our last day there. She said no way we had to be out by 12. I went to the office to ask her about this, she told me they could not and that the house keeping manager and told her she could not have any late checkouts today. I asked her if I could speak to the manager of housekeeping. She reluctantly called her and the manager came to the office I explained my circumstance and she said no problem. I recognized her, because she was the old concierge and was great at her job. I can't believe that Sunset Key hired this concierge as she has no clue to what she is doing. I will go back but will talk to a manager before I book another trip. We stay at Westin Resorts all the time and love them, and get treated better at much cheaper Westins than Sunset Key. Great place that I will go back to but this one person was horrible. I would like to know what Justin's response is to this. The island was not fully booked the day we arrived and left and she treated us very poorly. I have never had this problem at this resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank builder88
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you for your review and for mentioning staffmembers by name! We're glad that your problem was resolved and hope you stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I never thought i would write a review on a hotel, as i am a casual vacationer and rarely have a complaint when traveling. I have been "spring breaking" in Key west for years and always wanted to go to Sunset Key. I just got married and my fiance and I wanted to stay in the States for our Honeymoon. What better that Sunset Key...right? Wrong!! When we arrived, the concierge was "away from the desk" when we inquired about an upgrade. When she arrived, she was unwilling to speak to me about upgrading my room. Her break was about to start and she didn't have the time. It took over 5 hours to get our luggage delivered to our room. The girl that showed us to our room had NO clue where our cottage was. It took us over 30 minutes to find our room. When we went to have dinner the night we arrived, we could not get seated as there were no reservations left. What an INCONVENIENCE!! Arriving on an island, paying 700 dollars per night, and not getting a seat at the ONLY restaurant on the island. Once we arrived at our room, they were far from what we thought they would be. I have stayed and numerous hotels around the carribean and US and this was NOT one of the better ones. For the price we paid, i was expecting a much more luxurious room. Trust me on this one, these are no better than your typical beach bungalow. Nothing fancy. I have stayed at numerous Westin's and these beds are not even close to the same type of bed typically found at most Westin's. The Shower trickled water, there were ants crawling all over our bathroom, the guest shower door was rusted shut, and the sheets felt like sandpaper. Floors were dirty, the trim work in the cottage was worn down and dirty with scuff marks and mud, and the air conditioners were loud and kept us up all night. I have stayed at cleaner hotels on highways while traveling. On a positive note, the food here is fantastic and the service staff (with the exception of the junior level/assistant concierge) is fantastic. And the Beach...don't be fooled by the pictures on the website. I got to know all of the staff here quite well over the last week and they ALL told me that the hotel has not put a DIME into the upkeep of the beach in over three years. It's NOT a real beach, Just a bunch of rocks and sharp shells with dingy looking ropes keeping you from swimming more than 30 yards offshore. If you are looking to go to Key West for the party atmosphere, save your money and stay at the Key West Westin. DONT pay the extra money to come to Sunset Key. If you want great beaches, go to Turks and Caicos. The hotels there are fabulous and the service is impecible. This place is a giant PUMP FAKE and should be avoided at all costs. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! If you have never been to Key West take my advice...it's a party town at heart. If you are looking for a great Caribbean/florida vacation with beautiful beaches and gorgeous hotels, this is not the place for you. It is a laid back town with a good Caribbean vibe, but there are NO beaches and the whole island is a dump. Key west is awesome if you are looking for a great party town. If you do decide to come here, take my advice and don't waste your money staying at Sunset Key.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
31 Thank saigeey
SMKennedy, Marketing Manager at Sunset Key Cottages, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
Thank you for your review of Sunset Key Guest Cottages and we are sorry that you were disappointed with Sunset Key and Key West in general. Because of our ecological surroundings and make-up, Key West does not have the same types of beaches that the Caribbean islands have, but this is common knowledge and information easily obtained via the internet (including TripAdvisor forums) before booking a trip to Key West. There are indeed beaches in Key West, some of the most well-known being the one at Fort Zachary Taylor and also Smathers Beach. We are confused as to why any staff would say such things about Sunset Key Beach, as we put tens of thousands of dollars into beach sand restoration/maintenance each year. We do recommend that everyone, including resort guests, make reservations at Latitudes, as it is quite popular, especially for dinner. But we are glad that you enjoyed your meal when you did eat at Latitudes. The beds in each of the cottages are Westin Heavenly Beds, as is required us to continue to carry the Westin flag, and we are frequently inspected by Starwood to ensure that we are meeting these standards. This review has been passed along to management.
Carrollton, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2011

The resort is amazing and I would refer any friend to go, the food is amazing and to be able to catch a ferry to go to more civilization is great! I prefer to stay in a quiet area and go out if needed. The beaches in Key West are not great and to have a private beach and be waited on is great! They could use some more rafts! The cleaning service was not great, we had to call to have them clean for us one time - but that can be fixed!!! In my ratings for cleanliness is only due to them not keeping up with that in your room. The cleanliness of the overall resort was great. The service was great, except room service!

2 Thank LTSchall
Thank you for your review! We have passed this review along to management for improvement purposes.
Virginia Beach, Va
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We spent four nights in a three bedroom villa, each room with a King bed and bath, opening to a patio with fantastic sunset waterfront views! The island is a 10 minute ferry ride to Key West for shopping and Bars! Peaceful and elegant. We could sit on the patio and watch the sunset, eat at the fantastic restaurant, or take the boat into Key West for a crazy evening. we will return often!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Fun - that pretty much sums it up! Glad you enjoyed your stay at Sunset Key and Key West, and we look forward to your return.
Pelham, Alabama
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We booked our trip through Westin and my husband is in a wheelchair and was told that our oceanfront cottage would be accessible and imagine my surprise when I called the week before our trip to make sure everything would be "perfect" that I was told that in fact the cottage was not accessible. Shannon referred me to Justin and I cannot say enough praises for Justin and the time he took with us to change our cottage to the accessible cottage that Westin renovated specifcally for wheelchair accessibility. Justin sent pictures of the cottage so we would know what the room would be like when we arrived and his personal attention to make sure we were comfortable before we arrived was priceless. We ate at Lattitudes for a sunset dinner while we were there and the food was absolutely fabulous. The beach service was great--whenever I wanted a refill for my Key West Colada--I only had to look up to find someone to "fetch" it for me!! We will be coming back next year with our two daughters and our granddaughter and introduce her to the Key West way of life!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tcoop35226
virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and I celebrated 31st anniversary in a cottage with garden view/ partial ocean view. Decor was very nice with no sign of a scratchy sisal carpet that another reviewer found objectionable- our cottage has wall to wall carpet. The AC unit was noisy and it did sometimes wake me when it start or stopped. Great bed and linens!
Breakfast with muffins. fruit and newspaper was left on the porch each morning. I loved peeking into the basket each morning. It was more than enough for us. Orange juice, bottled water and two chocolates were delivered the night before. We did pop over to Key West CVS to pick up some yogurt, cereal and milk to have in the cottage.
The pool was very beautiful in the midst of lush vegetation. But the ocean always called us. It was calm and floats are available to use. We had no problem securing an umbrella and chairs on the beach. There was some saving of chairs going on but it was unnecessary. I only saw the folks in a oceanfront cottage doing this. I can't blame them for waiting chairs in front of their unit.
Ferry ride was so easy and convenient. Not to mention it was just fun. Makes for a quiet island since no cars.
The resort restaurant, Latitudes, was excellent and waiters were happy to take photos of diners during sunset. The sunset is such a big deal, all eating stops and the cameras are pulled out and it's all about the sunset for next little while.
Key West was good for people watching but every time we journeyed over, we really wanted to get back to our Fantasy Island.
Nice staff that were always available to us. A beautiful cheese and fruit tray was sent to our room as an anniversary surprise. A parting gift was delivered as well. I won't tell what it was, so you'll be surprised if you should decide to go yourself.
Only negatives: AC noise did disturb me but wouldn't keep me from returning. The price point demands a generous budget, but it was a special occasion for us- 31st wedding anniversary and my cancerversary. We would return tomorrow if possible.

Room Tip: Small resort so all lodging is convenient