“Great location, a quaint place with old-fashioned charm”

Lighthouse Court Hotel in Key West
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Staying at Lighthouse Court is a nice change of pace from the Hyatt, Hiltons and Marriott's of the world. It is a bunch of old building but the rooms were updated and comfortable. It is the perfect location 1 block off Duval street. We had one issue with plumbing while we were there, but Andy and the management team took care of us for the inconvenience. I would definitely recommend this, but hope it doesn't get too popular because we want to go back! We stayed in the suite right in front of the pool. While we were initially concerned that there would be lack of privacy, but it worked out fine and never felt crowded of concerned that my toddler was bothering anyone. We had a 2 yr old with us and there was enough space in the courtyard and our room that we felt like we had our 'own' apartment for the week. You must try the Key Lime Margaritas, they are GREAT!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Rzknow

Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed 4 nights in room B9 in a bedroom with one king bed. The room was located in the pool area and was nice and convenient to the pool and bar. The room had some wear and tear but was clean and adequate.The carpet probably needed to be replaced and tile would make a good replacement. The bathroom had a walk in shower (no tub) which was great for us. There was no counter space in the bathroom which could be improved. The towels and linens were above average. There was a refrigerator in the room. Bonnie at the office was great to work with and very helpful. Beth, bartender at the pool, was helpful in recommending restaurants and things to do. Overall it is not the Westin or Hilton, but was a good value place to stay in a good location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SquareDaddy
Reviewed July 20, 2010

The one thing that this hotel in it's favor is LOCATION. It is superbly situated, directly opposite the Hemmingway House, and 2 blocks from Duval Street. That is really all that it has in it's favor.

Check- in experience was very poor. Made to pay for entire stay at check-in! (Hey, nice to be trusted, eh?). Long walk to room, with bags - NO offer for any porter to help. Parking is NON-EXISTENT. Be very aware of this. You will have to unload bags, then go and find a street parking place as close as you can - and good luck with that!

Rooms VERY small. Nothing wrong with them, if you are a dwarf. They were clean and tidy, but really you could not swing a cat. Very pricey for a room of this quality.

Pool area very small, and far too close to the rooms. People are enjoying themselves by the pool, obviously. The noise of this means that you get little rest in your room if you like peace and quiet.

Bar area at pool has limited selection. However, very nice barkeep who was really helpful, professional and polite. Sadly, he was totally overworked as this bar needs two people to run it at busy times, but hotel is too cheap to employ a 2nd barkeep. Prices at bar were reasonable.

This hotel has nothing actually wrong with it, it just isn't anything special - but sadly their prices assume that they are. I hate not being trusted at a hotel I have booked (especially when cost of first night has already been debited) and the check in experience really stuck in my throat. If you are prepared to pay a BIG premium for location, then this is for you. Next time I will stay further out at a comfortable hotel, for less money, and use the money i save to take Taxi cabs into Duvall Street. Really NOT recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JonW_62
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I have traveled to Key West several times and we have stayed in several locations on the island, but this one by far been the most disappointing. I was very excited to stay at this location, especially based on the seemingly positive reviews I had read on tripadvisor. I booked the hotel from the historic key west inn's website, primarily for it's location - which is across the street from the Hemingway house. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and planned to check out on Sunday, I was ready to leave that night. My husband and I went to dinner, and upon return we asked if we could just check out the next morning - we were rudely informed by the evening clerk at the desk that it is a 2 night minimum so was were basically screwed. He said we could talk to the manager in the AM, but that it probably wouldn't be of help.
The negatives - a hotel should not promote free parking when there are not enough spaces available for the amount of rooms that they have. They have 10 maybe 12 spaces - I could just assume since no one spot ever became available during our visit. We were directed to a few "pay" lots several blocks away, but my husband and I were fortunate to find some free street parking about 3 blocks away. There is free street parking outside the hotel itself, but based on the dust & condition of the majority of the vehicles - they have been there for a long time.
We stayed in room B2. The room was located on the deck level above the pool. The room was worn, musty, and was full of stains. The furniture was old and worn, there was no way to control the overhead ceiling fan which was on the whole time ( and humming). Both windows (bathroom & in main room) had broken locks on the windows which is a true safety concern. I am not sure how you are expected to have a goodnight sleep knowing that your windows do not lock.
The free continental breakfast served was a true joke - it was carb central - apples, bagels, english muffins and fiber yogurt.
The poor area had a cute little bar & snack shop. They also had a not so cute sign that NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK can be consumed at the pool area - um yeah - sorry dude, I am drinking my own water - thank you
We never did make to to talk to the manager - so we sucked it up and stayed the additional night. For the amount I paid for 1 night, I could have stayed a hotel like La Concha on Duval (with garunteed parking) for an extra $20/night.
I do want to acknowledge one of the clerks the morning we checked out. Her name was Denice I believe. She asked how we enjoyed our stay and I think she may have regretted she had. We explained our concerns to her and she sincerely felt bad and attempted to rectify the situation - at that point it was a little too late.
If you a are looking for a hotel in Key West with a great location - are arriving with no car and plan to spend no time in your room - then this is your place..... if you are looking to really relax, stay in a place that should be more for the money, and spend time enjoying the ammenities - then this is NOT the hotel for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JennieHernandez
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I was disappointed in our experience. When I called to make a reservation for two rooms for a holiday weekend the person on the phone was rude and condescending. Against my better judgment I went ahead with the reservation and was given two confirmation numbers. When our group of six showed up to check in we learned that the person I spoke to had made the reservations for the wrong dates. There were no rooms available for the dates we wanted had originally requested. We were lucky to find rooms at another location.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed 3 night and could have stayed longer! Great rooms awesome people! Great food and drinks at the bar, a lot of homade mixes and the salad dressing yummy!! Two blocks from Duvall and attractions. Right across from the hemming way house. Close enough to party but far enough for peaceful sleep! We will definitely be back!

1  Thank margaret s
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed at the Lighthouse Court for three days in March. Overall, I was satisfied with the experience. The location was excellent. The hotel is directly across the street from the Hemingway House, and an easy 15-20 minute walk to the downtown area. The rooms were clean and modern. My husband and I got a room that was small, but cozy--enough room to walk around and to store luggage. My aunt and uncle got a room that was really, really small, which was a disappointment. Barely enough room to walk around the bed, and storing luggage was a problem. You might want to ask about the size of the specific room you are getting when you book. (There are lots of room options; I saw one that had a kitchenette in it, and it was beautiful and spacious, perfect for a family). The breakfast bar was loaded with a variety of options and the staff did a great job of keeping it clean and replenished.

The only thing I didn't like about the hotel was the pool area. In an attempt to make it "festive and youthful" or something, loud music was playing almost all the time. It wasn't a relaxing place to sit and read a book. In our group we were all over 40 years old, so maybe a younger crowd would have appreciated it.

The hotel is advertised as charming and historic, but I wouldn't exactly call it that. I was expecting something more charming, when it fact it looked quite modern.

I did an exhaustive search of hotels for under $200 a night in Key West, and this was one of them. I had a good look at some other placeswhile walking around that I know (from my research) were well over $300 per night, and I honestly couldn't say why they were so much more expensive. All things considered, I think this hotel is a good value for the price.

p.s. Be aware--if you don't get there early in the day, the hotel will run out of parking spaces and you will have to find your own parking on the street. The hotel advertises free on-site parking, which is true, if you are one of the first 10 or so people there.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family