“Lighthouse Court- Charming Hotel”

Lighthouse Court Hotel in Key West
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Stayed three days at The Lighthouse Court in Key West and absolutely loved it. We paid the extra money for one of the "Superior Queen" rooms with a Queen size bed and private balcony. The room was spotlessly cleaned, spacious and well furnished.
We were also impressed by the staff, especially Paul at the front desk upon our arrival. He made us feel right at home and really set the mood for our entire stay. The grounds well kept but be aware the management do not recommend bare feet on the wooden decks. The pool are offers plenty of space to lounge and has a small bar serving some sandwiches for lunch.
Once inside the hotel gates it does not feel like you are only one block for the hustle of Duval Street.
On the negative side, parking can be a challenge in the are and the hotel can only offer parking for about 10 cars. Housekeeping id a great job in our room, but frequently did come until after noon.
Will recommend this hotel and will defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2009

I have stayed at the Lighthouse Court for over twenty years. Many years ago the property was well kept, but that is not true today. Buildings and decks have rotted wood, old window air conditioners rattle and don't work very well, beds are pillows are not to standards based upon room charges, and the morning pool side continental breakfast consists basically of a choice of toast, muffin, juice and coffee...maybe an apple while the supply lasts. Basically this "historical inn" has seen its best days and the only thing going for it today is it close proximity to Duval Street and the Hemingway House across the street. Parking is limited or non-existent, management is slow to respond to problems, towels and sheets are ragged and torn, wooden decks have rotted with holes, duck tape covers holes in the roofs of many buidings, and what was once the gym is now just a room with wall mirrors. There are much better values available today in Key West...look around before booking here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I agree with the review from "Sunseeker14". This place was OK. We had no major complaints about the accommodations overall, but it maybe was missing some of the little things that you'd hope to have in your room. For example, my mother (who was staying with me complained of not having room to put any of her toiletries in the bathroom. And, she wanted a hook or something on the back of the door to hang a towel or her clothes. The bathrooms are small, but they could add some shelving and some hooks, etc. to make them a little nicer. Also, our safe was attached to the floor in the corner of the room. This was really very inconvenient. My mom is 65 years old and was unable to actually see or get to the keypad to put anything in the safe. I'm 35 and while I could get in and out of the safe, it was a major hassle to do so. They need to move the safe onto a table (and bolt it into the wall) or into a shelf in the closet or something rather than on the floor.

The best part about the hotel is the location. It's very close to Duvall St. My mom found it to be a challenging walk to Mallory Square. (however, I found it to be fine.) So, it depends on how much walking you want to do.

The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning worked well but was loud. I actually thought that was probably a good thing because the roosters would have woken us up otherwise. However, if you get cold easily, this may be a problem for you.

The courtyard is very pleasant here and the breakfast was a nice touch. (bagels, muffins, toast, coffee, juice and yogurt) Don't stay here, though, if you are choosing it for it's pool. The pool itself is tiny. You'd only want to use it to dip into for a moment if you get too hot. Also, the pool does not get much sun. It is very shady there. There is a sun deck above the pool which would get a little more sun, but there aren't many chairs up there. And, you have to watch out for splinters. (My brother managed to get a couple while walking around barefoot up there.)

As others have said, a problem for this hotel is the parking. There are 10 (or less) spots, including ones where you block in other cars (and give your keys to the front desk).

My star rating is not based on the following, but I do want to share an experience we had at this hotel:
We actually felt so lucky to have found a spot in the hotel parking lot but later regretted parking there. (The other option was on-street parking (if you could actually find a spot, which seemed unlikely) or a $20 a day paid lot nearby.) The reason we regretted parking there was because when we got back from a long day of going to my brother's wedding and then to a sunset sail and then out to Duvall St., we returned to find a note from hotel management saying that a limb had fallen from a "neighbor's" tree and hit our car. They provided a name and the phone number for the Key West police dept for us to call if we wished to report it. (which we did) Our car had a noticable dent in the back of the roof just above the back windshield in addition to numerous scratches. My brother's car (which had been parked in front of ours) also sustained damage. I realize that some people will debate this with me, but if I park in the TINY lot that is the official parking lot for the hotel, I would think that they would take some responsibility for this. They did not and specifically refused when I asked about it. They said that they would have if it had been their tree, but that there was nothing they could do since the tree belonged to the neighbor. I beg to differ. There was SOMETHING that they could have done even if they refused to pay for at least part of the damage, such as providing one of the 6 nights that my brother and I paid for there for free or at a discounted rate - - - something that could have sought to make up for the hassle and expense that this damage was bound to cause. This was a LARGE limb - - at least 10 inches in diameter that obviously was hanging over the Lighthouse Court hotel parking lot. I was very disappointed that the management did nothing to try to compensate us for the damage to our vehicle. (The neighbor who owned the tree also refused to do anything. So, if I would like any compensation, I would have to take them to court (in Key West obviously), which I'm sure both the hotel and the neighbor realize is unlikely since I live out of state.) Like I said, there are people who will agree with the hotel management --- that because they were not "legally" responsible that there was nothing that they should have done. I expect greater service from the hotels that I choose to stay in. That is obviously my own personal view. 4 out of the 6 people in our group at breakfast the next morning agreed with my view, but I realize that it is not a clear cut issue. Just thought that I should post it since there will be those out there who will agree that they will want to stay in a place where they can feel secure that management will protect their interests and go out of their way to ensure a pleasant, stress-free stay.

Otherwise, this hotel is an adequate place to stay. However, if I were to go back, I'd probably stay where my cousins did at Southernmost on the Beach where they said there was plenty of parking, a nice pool with poolside service and where they are right on the beach. Again, though, it just depends on what you're looking for and what's most important to you...

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We had some mixed feelings about our stay at the Lighthouse Court, it wasn't terrible but we probably wouldn't stay there again.
We arrived mid afternoon, however the room wasn't ready so headed to Duval Street for lunch after being extremely lucky and managing to bag a parking spot right outside the hotel, where the car then stayed for the duration of the trip!

We returned to find that we had been upgraded to a slightly larger room, however one of the biggest issues was that the room was incredibly dark even in the middle of the day, we couldn't always have curtains open due to privacy as we were on the ground floor and behind reception meaning that most guests had to walk past our window.
The room was large however and bed very comfortable, albeit we were forever bashed our legs on the wooden bed frame (as did the maintenance guy who came to fix our safe!)

Housekeeping wasn't as good as it could have been with something being missed most days, such as bins not being emptied or hand towels not being replaced. The bathroom could have also done with some updating and some extra shelving for toiletries.

The outside space of the hotel was pleasant with lots of porches and trees with a great deck on the upper floor for sunbathing and a cute little pool. They do state that you aren't supposed to take your own drinks to the pool but every time I went to the bar there was no-one serving so we did end up taking our own.

The breakfast was adequate with orange juice, tea & coffee, pastries and yogurt and the ever present roosters who strutted around looking for crumbs (which we didn't mind at all!)

We really liked the location, although for some it might be a bit of a walk to Mallory Square, it was perfect for us. Right across the road from the Hemingway house and running parallel to Duval Street meant that we were close enough to all the main attractions but without any of the noise.

Overall I think there are probably better value for money options in Key West, although an expensive place to stay in general.
While none of the issues really justified complaints, the management need to give more attention to detail here and spend a bit of money on updating some of the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2009

The place is big, but split up in a way that it feels very cozy. The rooms are clean, the poolside bar and food is a nice plus. You get con't. breakfast poolside in the morning and this can last you until dinner. It is walking distance to Duval and all of the historic downtown. The staff is very friendly and attentive to your needs. Get a poolside room if you can.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2009

Stayed here alone while visiting a family member. Decent place for the money. Clean, nice pool area. Very Close to Duval and a short walk to the Southernmost point. Literally right across the street from Hemingway house. Not a great breakfast selection, just some bagels, english muffins, mini muffins, and clementines for fruit. If you want to spend some time at the beach I would recommend paying a bit more to stay at one of the oceanside resorts just for a night or two. They have private beaches for guests that are much better than the public beaches.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank KB620
Reviewed February 12, 2009

We stayed for one night. The hotel was nice and room was clean.
Pool area was nice too.
They served the breakfast by the pool.
Only negative thing was the roosters yelling all night long, but I think that is a problem anywhere you go in Key West.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple