“Old World Key West”

Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Tuckerton, New Jersey
“Old World Key West”
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for four nights in June. The rooms were on the small side, but clean. A complimentary breakfast was offered every morning. Pool was small, but did the trick. There was a small bar by the pool that had some pretty good Mojitos. The best part of the hotel was its location (one block off Duval). Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
San Diego
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here while on business in Key West. I was traveling with two other co-workers and one of them got pretty much the same room as me, SMALL, but the other co-worker got a much bigger room, that was also a LOT nicer (hard wood floors and nicer furnishings etc) for the same price! So just know that not all rooms at this place are created equal and do some investigative research to find a good one. Our small rooms were all the way in the back south corner of the complex. The rooms were clean enough, no complaints there and we had a hammock right outside which we used, and we were near the pool area.

A con for business travelers (and possibly even vacation traveler's who like to spend time on the computer) is that there no desk for setting up a computer. There was a dresser type thing with glass top where you could set things but not a desk with a chair where you could comfortably set up. That being said, we just took our laptops to the pool area where there were tables with umbrellas and a great little bar where you can buy drinks. I thought there was a descent atmosphere. Nothing special but also not bad.

My coworker and I did come back to the room one night to find termites swarming in the bathrooms, but it's a seasonal thing and not under their control so I don't blame them for that. And as others have mentioned you get ear plugs. I had my A/C running at night and that drowned out most of the crowing (the roosters crow in the MIDDLE of the night not just the morning) so I slept fine, but the roosters are ALL over the island so not something you can get completely away from as far as I understand.

Parking is a problem, we got SUPER lucky and found a spot on the street outside. There are not time limits on the street parking, so try to find a spot on the street first. We could walk everywhere including to work, so our car just stayed there the whole time, however I could see it being a problem if you needed to use your car each day.

I think this property does have some old key west charm, but it's a little over-stated in my opinion. I felt it was over priced. If I went back to Key West, I would try other places. I felt I could get more and have a better experience for the same amount of money. I might have felt different had I gotten a nicer and/or bigger room so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with my "average" rating.

Room Tip: As for a room with a hard wood floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We went to Key West for 4 nights to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We wanted to stay in one of the historic hotels and we ended up choosing Lighthouse Court. Our room was simple with a king size bed. It was really nothing to write home about. But it was clean, the A/C worked very well (important for Key West in June), and the bed was comfortable. It's what you'd expect for staying at one of the historic hotels. If you're travelling to Key West to stay in your hotel room, you'd probably be more comfortable in one of the resort hotels. But if you're headed there to enjoy all Key West has to offer, the location is great. Only a block off Duval Street, and yet very quiet, you're within walking distance from everything. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool is generally very quiet and a nice place to relax with a drink. Keep in mind, we had a simple room. I'm sure if you booked the Hemingway Suite, it'd be a little more luxurious. But we didn't plan on spending a tremendous amount of time in our room. If that's your mindset going in, you won't be disappointed staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank biffdingle
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Loved it there! Know that you're staying in Old Key West. If you want new and sleek, stay at one of the chain hotels at the southern end of the island. We wanted old Key West and this place is fabulous...like walking back to Hemingway's day! Love the roosters even though they do crow....that's their job! To change (update) this place would be sad. It represents what the old part of Key West is about. Parking can be a problem during the busy times but, if you get lucky and find a place in front or back you can walk everywhere. There is a lot a couple of blocks over from the inn we used one day before finding a place at the inn. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had a bungalow that was very cozy and comfortable. The location makes the place though - one-block off of Duval, you get the convenience without the noise. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dcknight
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We again made a trip to Key West in May and stayed at the Lighthouse Court. When making the reservations, I asked that we stay in the same room as last year and was so delighted upon our arrival to see it was available for us. The room was clean and the staff attentive. The morning breakfast was wonderful. Sorry to see our hotel employees from last year were not there, other than Sonja , who remembered us and greeted us with a big smile. This hotel is very convenient to the downtown and attractions. Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Sooooo..... i have very little bad to say since hotels are known quantities and you cant expect it to be 100%. If yoir staying on the southern end of the hotel be prepared to wake up at 4:30 to a dozen roosters cacadoing every 5-6 seconds. IF YOUR ANY KIND OF LIGHT SLEEPER YOI WILL NOT GET ANY SLEEP!!!!! I feel like im in a third world country.

• Stayed May 2012