“Our week in paradise”
Review of Equator Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Equator Resort
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Our week in paradise”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our first trip to Key West and our first time staying in an all male resort. I could not have been more pleased! Our room (12) was spacious, well decorated and kept immaculately clean. The common areas of the resort were anything but common, 2 pools heated to the perfect temperature and 2 hot tubs that were big enough to accommodate all of the guests that chose to use them.
By far the best part of the Equator was the staff! Gary, Thaddeus, Troy and most importantly, young Joshua did an amazing job of making everyone not only feel comfortable but really welcomed into their resort. It may be their job but they certainly did not make you feel like it was work to them. They were genuinely concerned that all of their guest were happy.
We will definitely return to Key West and wouldn't even consider staying anywhere but The Equator!

2 Thank Dino22max

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My partner and I have been traveling to KW together for over ten years. This was our first stay at the Equator Resort, and we are happy to call it our new home! We honestly could not complain one bit about our stay. It was one of our best vacations in KW in years!
From the moment we arrived, the entire staff was helpful and polite. All day (everyday) the desk staff and housekeeping crew worked non stop to keep the property looking as good as it did and making sure each guest was enjoying their stay. Thad, Troy and Joshua truly took pleasure in being certain everyone was enjoying their stay. The staff award certainly goes to Joshua, who went above and beyond. Joshua was a pleasure both when on duty at the Equator, and also in social settings outside of work. We were lucky enough to meet the owner (Richard) during our stay. He greeted each guest and spoke to us about all the work that had been completed thus far, as well as all of his future renovation plans. It is nice to know that this great place will be even better after all the renovations are all completed.
Our room (#41) was clean with more then enough room for a couple. The shower in the room was also large enough for two. The pools were clean and kept at the perfect temperature to enjoy during the day, eve, and into the night. There are two hot tubs on the property that we also enjoyed using.
The location of the guesthouse was perfect. It is within walking distance to Fausto's (supermarket) and many other great places to grab lunch. It is far enough away from the crowds on Duvall St., but close enough to walk to enjoy the bar scene and all that Duvall St. offers.
Our trips are always planned with friends that we have made in KW over the years. Future plans will now be made to include the new friends we made during our stay at the Equator.
We cant wait to visit and see everyone again!

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights in April 2013, and travelling as a couple. On our last stay we stayed at The Oasis, so were disappointed to hear it had been taken over, and gone mixed. So we checked out the alternatives, and are very pleased we chose The Equator to stay in. I believe they have taken all that the Oasis did well, and are doing it better, and anything they didn't do well, does not apply at The Equator.

The staff were all cheerful and engaging, but the real star was Joshua. A more recent addition I understand, but was chatty, made eye contact when talking to people and said hello when we bumped into him on his day off. A true star, and a natural at customer service. Life seems a little vacant without seeing him bounce around on a daily basis.

Ignore the negative reviews about breakfasts, these were dealt with long ago. There is a decent choice of continental options available, and a great Deli over the road, if you fancy something else.

The pools where clean, as was the surroundings. There are 2 hot tubs, one too hot for us, especially considering how warm it was already with the weather. Happy hour is a treat, as it is everyday, and you can't complain about how much they are dishing out!

The venue as a whole has been improved by adding the building next door, which means the exterior is much larger, and more enoyable for it I am sure. The gardens are well cared for and add to the positive experience.

It was a great mixture of ages and backgrounds of guests too, and it all added up to make a great holiday. We've made some new friends and met up with some existing ones too. We're planning to come back to Key West again, and I cannot see a reason as to why we won't be staying in the same place again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11, which is on the ground level by the original front door. Occasionally it is p...
3 Thank Christian F
Oakland Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Very nice B and B. Staff was friendly, room was exactly as the picture I was sent. Rooms were a bit pricey but considering the time I went (late April) I was still in the "high season" but they were extremely clean. I was in room 40 located right on Flemming street. Room was nicely carpeted, bed very comfortable, sheets and bedspread clean... :) Cleaning done daily. :)

Any complaints I noticed from other Tripadvisor commenters about the remodeling going on with the expansion of the property are just as I thought they were... over rated by people that have no patience or want change....My only complaint and I dont mean to sound hypocritical because I (by gay male standards which is by no means a level of anything...LOL) am "old" too (Im 53)... but out of the 20 or so men I did see or meet while there, they were at least 10 - 15 years older than myself. They were very nice gentleman but definitely not my type...I like guys my age or a little younger...LOL Just think its important people understand it seemed at least while I was there...it was a much older base of guests (for at least that weekend). I saw one guy (besides the staff and my friend whom stayed with me) that was younger than me... most guests were in the 55 - 70 year range. This has nothing to do with the staff or the Equator itself...its just the type of men that seem to be there the weekend I was there... Pools and hot tubs were/are very well maintained and the place definitely has a charm... if your looking for a place to meet other (older couples or don't care about this kind of silliness...meaning your going because you want to spend time with your bf or partner at a nice place but not worried about others hitting on either of you), that is quiet in a laid back and clean friendly place...The Equator is it. :)

Far enough away from the craziness of Duval street but close enough to walk (as is everything on the island). If your worried about parking, I would recommend the City Parking garage a few streets over (about 1/3 mile away) as it only cost $13.00 for 24 hours.

Thanks to the staff for making my first stay there very nice :)

Room Tip: Room 40 is right on Flemming street...although it was quiet 99% of the time, during the day could wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have recently returned after staying 1 week in mid March at the Equator. We did not know what to expect as this was our first stay at the Equator having stayed many years at the Oasis. However due to the sale of the property and the switch from exclusively Gay to All Welcoming we decided to give the Equator a try. We would have moved across the street to the Equator ages ago if we had only known how great it was going to be. The rooms are spacious and clean. We loved the large shower in our bathroom! The housekeeping staff were always eager to please and actually know the meaning of cleaning! Bathrooms were throughly cleaned each day. The Housekeeping staff always cleaned while we were enjoying breakfast and always worked around our schedule. The continental breakfast was very nice and the minature quiches and crossants were a nice touch. The desk staff went out of their way to clear dishes at breakfast, come around to top up coffee and to make sure everything was satisfactory.

The grounds were lovely with lots of tropical plants and kept very clean. Staff were constantly sweeping and wiping down tables. The Equator has recently purchased the former Coral Tree and the owner has been doing some renovations. There was some noise but nothing that would spoil our stay. Each day there was a festive happy hour with a nice selection of beer, wine and soda.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and made you feel like a welcomed guest. The owner was visiting during our stay and shared his plans with us for the former Coral Tree. It is great to see that not everyone has given up on gay clientele visiting in Key West. Pride of ownership is evident and once the renovations have been completed this property will be the premier property in Key West for Gay Men.

Special mention goes to Josh - although all the staff were great, friendly and professional. I would not hesitate to stay there again. I am very picky and if there was anything that was unacceptable I would have noticed it. Do give it a try and hopefully you will be convinced that this place is your home away from home while visiting Key West. I have convinced several of our friends to switch from the Oasis to the Equator.

Brian and David-Toronto

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing Fleming Street as the garbage trucks collect trash in the very early hours...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian B
Kentucky
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My partner and I have been to Key West several times and always enjoy our stay at the Equator. It's small enough to chat and get to know the other guests, and the management staff is always around to answer questions, make reservations, etc... The staff is always friendly and housekeeping does an excellent job!

Breakfast and happy hour are included in your stay -- can't say that about too many other places I've been to, so definitely no complaints from us! They are in the process of expanding into the property next door, so there will be some construction and renovations for a few months, but it really wasn't that bad. We were still able to lay in the sun and cool off in the pool and enjoy the hot tub at night -- clothing still optional even with the construction guys around. It's Key West -- who cares -- just relax! Can't wait to go back and see how all the renovations turn out.

There are other properties in Key West to stay at, but we've been there and they were a bit too "rowdy" -- all night long! We're all for fun and good times but I need my sleep too! The Equator is the perfect blend of rest and relaxation coupled with plenty of "fun" if you're looking for that too!

We will be back to Key West again and will definitely stay at the Equator again. One other recommendation, explore stuff off of Duvall Street. Lots of hidden gems all over the island off the main strip. Oh, and a sail aboard the BluQ is also a must!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KentuckyRob730
Milton, Delaware
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My partner and I were long time quests of The Oasis and made the switch to the Equator this year after the change in management and policies. It was a great place and will be missed. We usually stay for two weeks so we really want a place where we can feel comfortable. Staff was very accomadating and assisting in, what for us, was a last minute reservation having orginally planned to be at Oasis. Our room was spacious,clean,with readily available hot water and good water pressure ( an issue we have had at other places in Key West). We found the staff to be nothing but friendly and accomadating. Love the daily "Menu" listing the room number, first name of guests, where they are from, and length of stay. It is a nice touch and made getting to know other guests easier. Socializing with others is a big part of the guest house and Key West experience. They have recently purchased the house next store (the former Coral Tree) and immediately began renovations. Was there a little noise at times, yes but that is the price you pay for progress. Relax, you are on vacation and in Key West. I for one am very thakful and greatful that they are trying to maintain one of the last all male guest houses in Key West. Joining the two properities will greatly expand the outdoor space and the plans sound great. Can't wait to see it come together. I was really surprised by the recent negative reviews as I saw no rudeness on the part of any staff. What I did observe was staff being very patient with a few "Very High Maintaince" guests who seemed to love being the center of attention and enjoy complaining about any and everthing in dramatic fashion. These guests just really do not get the idea of the whole relaxed Key West lifestyle. With a two week stay you get to know staff a little and get to observe the day to day running of the place. Housekeeping was efficent and timely and worked around our schedle so we never felt put out or rushed. Having a staff member available at all times to assist with reservations, food deliveries, recommendations, etc is a nice service. We did not fully take advantage of breakfast often but it was a nice version of a contential breakfast. The selection at the FREE happy hour is limited by liqour license constraints beyond the establishments control. They go out of thier way to facilitate socialization and a good time by all. For those that had a negative experience you would be surprised how far a little friendlyness on your part would go in your experience with the staff and other guests. In summary I guess the best compliment I can give is that before leaving we already made our reservation for next year. Thanks to Gary, Josh, Brad and the rest of the staff. See you all next year and can't wait to see the improvements. Scott & Mark

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple