“This place is a real mixed bag”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Key West
Coconut Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 51 Hotels in Key West
San Diego, CA
“This place is a real mixed bag”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

My husband and I spent 3 days at this resort. First of all, the view we had was from the top floor facing the ocean so that was really idyllic. We were happy to find a place with direct beach access. The room was OK, nothing special -- housekeeping came regularly so no problem there like other reviewers. Sharing the porch in front of the room means you have no privacy and get to hear drunken conversations and inhale the cigarette smoke of others -- OK, so head to the beach then, right? Well, I don't know if it's a characteristic of this place or just the timing of when we were there, but this place has "regulars" who own timeshares and boy are they territorial. It was very awkward -- I felt like we were being scrutizined constantly (the beach area is small), and there was even some rude and hostile behavior by these "insiders." We tuned it out as best we could and enjoyed the ocean and having pina coladas next door at the historic Louie's Backyard which is directly through a door accessed from this resort. Overall, it could be a great place...without all the weird vibes going on.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank esmerelda12

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
ottawa
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Myself and my family have been visiting Coconut Beach for about 20 years, since it opened. We bought a time-share unit there when they were first building and now own four weeks there; two in January and two in March. I just read Grubbee's review and I thought it was crazy so I had to make a rebuttal.
The ocean view is wonderful. The pool is nice and I have never heard of a health problem with it. In fact you CAN enter the pub of Louie's Backyard from the Coconut Beach area, and you can sit over there and have a drink if you want to, or you can bring your own drink down [this is a much cheaper option than Louie's!]. There are sometimes kids in the pool which can be a bit noisy, but usually it's just for a small part of the day.
We have never had a problem with burglary of our things, and I have left my passport, wallet, iPod, all in my nightstand drawer. There are safes in the rooms if you want to use them. I have not had a problem with the beds there.
I'm not sure where Grubbee was 'meandering' for all of that time, as it is quite a small place and easy to find your room. They do have labels. And I have found the staff to be helpful. Calling them 'barely English-speaking idiot' is telling, I think.
True there are no elevators but we have never found this to be a terrible burden. Also I have never found that noise from the neighbours was a problem, except when you are not on the top floor and there are once in awhile kids running around. When this has happened we have just had a neighbourly word with them and all was well.
There is a nice outdoor barbecue that all the guests are welcome to use, it's also a nice way to meet some of the other guests.
One thing on this trip that was a problem was our phone was a bit wonky, but we all had cell phones anyway so it wasn't a big deal.
We love Coconut Beach and Key West!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank bowballie
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I love Key West. Coconut Beach Resort was located in a nice a quiet area. Access to the beach on the property and there was also a pool. There were also laundry facilities on the premises. The Staff was helpful when it came to asking them aout sightseeing, but the free wi-fi also helped with looking up things to do in Key West. I was a single traveler but the room was still very small and could use some upgrading. I rented a car while I was there and there was free parking on the premises. I drove around Key West and drove throughout the Florida Keys. Wonderful and relaxing vacation!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank jrich00
Illinios
Reviewed November 6, 2009

we are very happy that we stayed here !!! exactly what we expected !! beautiful !!.
Do not hesitate , it is clean . fresh, you will love it to.!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dkj965
Maryland
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Coconut Beach has a great location in Key West...close to downtown but far enough to escape the hustle and bustle. The resort grounds are beautiful - pool, beach, hot tub, bikes to rent. The rooms are clean but simply furnished though I would not recommending renting a 'suite' room, rent a 1BR or 2BR unit. Suites do not have balonies, do not face the water, and are small. In my experience, the hotel staff is largely unhelpful and uncooperative. They are currently undergoing remodeling which is loud and lasts most of the day so if you're staying in the near future, I would ask about status of remodeling. If you would like a simple room in a great location and do not need the assistance of hotel staff for anything other than checkin/checkout, Coconut Beach may be the place.
Notes: Parking is limited; no elevators; no restaurant; no fitness center

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blue999
worcester, mass
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Great place to stay---Quiet end of the island---yet it is walkable to everything--louies bar and grille next door is fantastic--but you need reservations. Pool was nice and view was great

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank linron72
Arizona
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Were scheduled to stay a week but spent one night and went to a much nicer place 2 blocks away for 20 per night more.
No restaurant. Cheaply furnished and aged decor. Had to slam the door to shut it, this shook the doors next to us. Space in connecting room door large enough to see the people in it. Could hear conversations like they were in the same room as we were.
Don't stay here if you want any sleep or any sense of security.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family