“a tropical escape from suburbia”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
Ranked #5 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2007

We stayed at the Mermaid and Alligator Inn and it was paradise. I am a picky traveler and slight hotel snob and this inn was beautiful, relaxing, welcoming and immaculate. Honestly, I can not think of one complaint. The hot breakfast was awesome. The rooms were beautifully decorated and made you feel you were in a tropical paradise. The staff were so friendly and helpful that I felt as though we had been friends for years. I can not say enough great things about this inn. I searched high and low for the perfect palce to stay in KW and I found it at the Mermaid and Alligator.

2  Thank funnybonesRaleigh_Nc
There are newer reviews for The Mermaid & The Alligator

Reviewed May 11, 2007

My daughter and I went to Key West to reduce her stress level. The Mermaid and The Alligator is just the right place to be. Lovely grounds, lovely rooms, great breakfast, and just enough company to make you feel at home. We can not rave enough about the wonderful concierge service. They arranged for massages out in the gardens. Too delicious. The rooms are kept immaculate. We were in the Royal Poinciana. Loved the private balcony. There are multiple little places to curl up and relax. The location is just perfect. Close enough but not too close. Well run. I do plan to return soon and will stay longer!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2007

My husband and I had the most relaxing, wonderful stay at the Mermaid and the Alligator in the end of April. We were the youngest couple at the B&B and always felt comfortable.
Located a few blocks from Duval street, the inn is in walking distance to everything. We could easily get to any of the night life Key West has and return to the peaceful, quaint B&B.

The entire house is unique. As soon as we walked through the gate into the garden and then into the kitchen, we felt welcome. Havana, the resident retriever, is bound to greet you. She truly is part of what makes this place "home". Tthe Audoban room was extremely comfortable and has a marvelous bathroom. When the room was created, no detail went unrecognized. The lighting and textures are fabulous. Lights over the bed and in the bathroom are on dimmers and they have a great radio my husband could put his MP3 in or tune to a radio station. All of this makes for a very romantic setting.

In the morning you can have breakfast poolside. They always have cereal, muffins, juice, and a hot entree. In the afternoons, Dean puts out a red and white wine to enjoy in the gardens. This is a great way to further relax before you go for a wonderful dinner.

Dean is always helpful in suggesting places to dine and suggesting things to do. The hosts know how to be helpful without being overbearing.

We did stay at another location in Key West. The Mermaid and the Alligator was MUCH better. It is unique and relaxing and makes any traveler feel at home. I wished we stayed longer!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karen D
Reviewed May 3, 2007

We recently spent the first half of our honeymoon (4-13/4-17/07) at the Mermaid and Alligator on Truman St. and I would have to describe the Inn as a true piece of heaven on earth. We stayed in the Sun Room and it was like being in our own private tree house. The room was light and airy with lovely views of the garden at the back of the house and an amazing Catholic Church across the street. The inn was quiet, the room was truly lovely, and the breakfasts were wonderful, a beautiful way to start each day. If we had not already planned our stay to include a second B&B, we would have stayed at the M&A the entire trip. I cannot say enough about how fantastic our time at the Mermaid was, check out their website, it really does do justice, the Inn is just as pretty as the pictures show.

Amazing, calm, peaceful, tranquil, very romantic!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilmuns
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We were on vacation in Key West on 4th of April to 13th of April. We stayed at the Mermaid and the Alligator. The guesthouse was fantastic! We had the sun room and it is exactly like the picture in their netpages, perfect! The M&A is not far from the Duval and still far enough to have quiet and relaxed atmosphere. The staff was magnificent, especially Dean, who cordially took care of us. I recommend this guesthouse for everyone staying at Key West, especially for couples. Romantic get away place!

Reviewed March 24, 2007

The Mermaid and the Alligator is a quintissential Key West Inn. The owners manage to think of every detail to make your stay perfect without being intrusive or over-attentive. There are great breakfasts in the garden every morning, with fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins, and a hot entree. They have beach towels, a lunch cooler to bring to the beach, and free internet for those of us who need to check email once in awhile. The main house is amazing-- great art surrounds you, and the interior of the place is stunning. We stayed in the Key Lime room for three nights. It is small, but cozy and perfectly suited for us. It was quiet and tastefully decorated. The only bummer was they had an air conditioner in the only workable window, which forced you to use the AC instead of using the natural cooling effect of the beautiful breezes we had all week. I imagine the AC comes in handy, though on really hot days. The gardens are a great way to relax, and we took advantage of the hammock to read in the afternoon. A great location, great service, and we would DEFINITELY recommend this place to anyone. If you are on a budget (we broke ours, but still) try the key lime or papaya rooms--a great deal with the breakfast included for pricey key west! We had to move to a different inn as they were booked for the rest of the week, and we were sad to leave!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laurie F
Reviewed February 24, 2007

My boyfriend & I stayed at The M&A for a few nights this past summer after doing TONS of research on places to stay in Key West. We had both been there on college spring break & knew that we wanted to have a very different experience now that we were out of college. I knew from all of the amazing reviews of this B&B that it was going to be the place for us. The point that I want to get across from this review is that The M&A isn't just a place for older travelers. We were by far the youngest guests in the house, but it was one of the best trips that we have ever been on together. If you are looking for a quiet & cozy place to enjoy the person that you are traveling with, then this is the place. We stayed in the Caribbean Queen room. A memory that I will have for the rest of my life is sitting on the huge balcony with him,that overlooked the front of the house, and enjoying the cool summer night in Key West. Definitely one of the most romantic & beautiful places that I have ever stayed!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple