“Surprisingly perfect!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
Ranked #4 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 12, 2009

We have stayed in many hotels and a few B&Bs around the world. The M&A is up there with the very best and is also quite personal. By that I mean that you quickly get to know the owners and their help and the dogs. All this is managed without being in the least intrusive. The Christmas decorations went up while we were there. They are spectacular!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2009

After spending 4 days at a huge private estate in Islamorada (where we got married), we spent 3 days at the Mermaid and the Alligator for our mini-honeymoon. I have to say we were in complete secluded paradise in Islamorada, so it took a very special place in Key West to not disappoint us. The Mermaid was perfect! The gardens are beautiful, the house is expertly decorated, and Geri is simply a pleasure to be around. The Mermaid and the Alligator is truly a peaceful oasis in bustling Key West and the friendly staff can't be beat. We stayed in the Garden Room which is on the first floor and opens up to the gardens. The Garden Room has a fantastic shower too. The breakfasts were also absolutely amazing - probably the best quiche I've ever had! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at The Mermaid & Alligator. It took me forever to decide which B&B I wanted to stay at in KW - there were several that looked interesting. I have to admit one of the reasons I picked the Mermaid & Alligator was the name - I know, dumb reason! We were so pleased that we did though - this place was beautiful! I can't think of any negatives about the place. We stayed in the Royal Poinciana room - the bed was so comfortable. We loved our private bacony off our room. The whole house was decorated so nicely - I need them to come decorate MY house! The garden area and pool was beautiful, the breakfasts were delicious, and the 2 dogs that lived there were fun. If (and I hope we do!) we ever make it back to Key West, I would definately stay at The Mermaid & Alligator again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2009

The lady who runs the desk helped us find activities and rentals for bikes. We felt very much at home and I would stay there again. It was also very nice to come "home" and dip in the pool. Oh, the gardens were a paradise.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mermaid & Alligator for three nights. It's a lovely home in Old Town Key West. Immediately felt comfortable and at home with Geri, Dean & Caroline. Not to mention the beautiful dogs Havana & Caya! Stayed in the Bamboo Room which was just what we wanted for a quiet, relaxing time in Key West. Beautiful patio/backyard area for relaxing with a glass of wine or for a fantastic breakfast each morning. Geri & Caroline were very helpful in arranging for dinner reservations and coming up with some great suggestions for dinner, activities, etc. Would highly recommend staying here to anyone visiting Key West and I would love to stay here again on my next trip to the Keys.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2009

All the other reviews we read about the Mermaid and The Alligator are right on. Super surroundings - so many nice touches make it feel less like a tourist destination and more like an exotic getaway. The statue of a Mermaid and the Alligator overlooks the pool that is refreshing and perfect for cooling off after day out exploring. The hosts do not hover which we liked. We sat reading in the garden area without interruption and enjoyed the fountains, birds and butterflies. a lovely garden for quiet contemplation.

Other nice touches - canvas bags and beach towels for guests to use when they were off the property. We took a day trip to the Dry Tortugas; the coffee was ready early and we grabbed a couple of the Mermaid and Alligator tote bags and beach towels and headed out the gate. Came home to lounge in the pool and relax before heading out for a night on the town.

The quiche, fresh fruit and choice of juices made for a nice breakfast to start the day. We don't mind paying for staying in nice relaxing surroundings - our stay at the Mermaid and the Alligator was worth every penny. Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2009

After much research of every hotel and B & B in Key West my wife and I decided on the M&A and we were not disappointed. It was above our expectations.........We had the Audobon Room and it was great! Very comfortable king size bed, jacuzzi tub, and a 5 ft shower next to it. The gardens outside are extremely beautiful and relaxing with a small pool. Breakfast every morning was delicious and something to look forward to. We met some great people and the staff was great. Geri and Caroline that work there are the best and the most konwledgeable in helping you find an activity or restaurant in town. The owners Dean and Paul could not have done a better job of decorating and running that place. Pretty centrally located from most touristy attractions and only 3 blocks from Duval St so you can even walk to a lot of places. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple