“Stay anywhere else? Never!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Mermaid & The Alligator
Ranked #5 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I had the great pleasure (and good luck) of being able to book 4 nights in the middle of our week-long Key West visit. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we figured that 4 nights was better than none. That was the best decision we made! Perfect place to relax, have a great breakfast, enjoy a glass of wine in the afternoon, and brew a cup of coffee before bed! The property grounds provided little niches of privacy throughout. If pressed to state the best thing about the M&A, I would have to say that Gerri (the concierge) tops the list. She provided us with information invaluable to making the most of our time in this great location. We already made our return reservations (which I guess explains why it was so difficult this year to book closer to our stay)! Thank you everyone for making our week so enjoyable and stress free! See you next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sun Room. We liked being able to look down into the gardens from our little balcon...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Mermaid & The Alligator

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I had a fabulous experience at The Mermaid & The Alligator. We loved the location - we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and had bikes delivered so we could ride to the beach. We loved the look and feel of the B&B - it was very zen. Gorgeous decor and we loved the abundance of plants/greenery in the pool/breakfast area. Also, very clean and well kept. Our room (The Garden Room) felt private, the bed was comfortable and had a wonderful shower. All staff were extremely nice and helpful - we got great recommendations on places to eat, etc. I really cannot say enough good things. We will definitely return next time we are in Key West!

Room Tip: We were very happy in the Garden Room
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I cannot say enough good things about this utterly welcoming and charming B&B. I would never even think about staying anywhere else if and when we visit KW again.

The decor of our room and the common areas of the house was impeccable. The garden area was lush and just absolutely gorgeous. I loved exploring the house and the grounds and admiring all of the art and thoughtful details. We stayed in the Audobon room (highly recommended) and our bed and linens were so incredibly comfortable.

Breakfast and coffee in the morning were wonderful (served in the garden). Wine was served in the evenings, which we looked forward to each day, and I also loved the late night cookies and fully stocked water/soda fridge available at all times.

We truly looked forward to coming back to the B&B each afternoon to relax before gearing up for the night and my husband especially loved his daily siestas in the giant hammock. There are many different cozy nooks in the gardens and we also highly enjoyed the plunge pool.

I could keep going, but as a final note, I have to mention the sweet and adorable house pups, Caya and Havana, who made our stay even more memorable.

Everything was just impeccable and I can't wait to return some day soon!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Silverpink
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We couldn't have asked for more gracious, hospitable hosts. In just a few hours, we shook off the cares of the outside world as we immersed ourselves in the beauty of the lovely gardens. This was our first trip to Key West, and our hosts provided great suggestions for restaurants, activities, etc. We'd recommend to anyone who prefers "personal" touches to large-scale resorts.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We just returned from a 3 day stay at this extraordinary inn. The whole atmosphere is conducive to relaxation. The public areas are decorated very tastefully yet exotically and invite lingering. The lush tropical gardens contain burbling water fountains, comfortable seating areas, hammocks, caged Lovebirds, and a lovely small swimming pool. Our bedroom was spacious, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean, and comfortable in every way. It opened onto a private wrap-around porch perfect for lounging. The breakfast is abundant and delicious. The staff is very accessible and helpful without being pushy. This excellent B&B will linger in our minds for a very long time.

Room Tip: Saw no other rooms. The whole property seems quiet and I'm sure all are equally clean.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had an emergency(according to the owner this isnt a real emergency) come up 4 days before my arrival and when I called to try to change my reservation they could care less and would not even let me explain before they were like no! "we have a 14 day cancellation policy" AND when I called back to try to explain I was chastised and lectured about taking responsibility as an adult in keeping with my reservation. I am literally at my desk floored and shaken... I have never been treated so rudely and spoken to in such a condescending manner.... it is borderline cruel. Not even checked in let and already clear it not going to be a good.

12  Thank SunflowerFara
MermaidAlligator, Owner at The Mermaid & The Alligator, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

*An important unstated fact is that this stay was won as a raffle prize consisting of a free 2 night stay at our inn with a value of over $500*.
As proprietors of a 9-room Bed & Breakfast, we can attest to the fact that last minute cancellations greatly affect small establishments such as ours. Therefore, we are not alone in having a cancellation policy that is fully disclosed on our website and in the e-mail confirmation we send all our guests upon booking. As policies go, ours is standard for most bed & breakfasts, inns and hotels worldwide—reservations are non-cancellable and non-changeable within 14 days of arrival, unless re-booked; many have strict 21-day or 30-day period.
Over the years, guests have had to cancel for a variety of reasons--medical emergencies, military leaves, even job losses. We are always compassionate towards their situations and will always try to work with them. 3 days prior to arrival of a long standing reservation the reason given for this cancellation; a change in date of a photo shoot, to us not an emergency and not a situation that warranted making an exception. However, regardless of the reason we will still always make the room available on line and always attempt to rebook the cancelled nights. In most cases, we succeed in doing so, and the guests are appreciative. Since this was a free stay there would not be a refund but if we were successful in re-booking the room she could then again used her free stay on other available dates. We even suggested that she give her free stay to a friend to use. This offer was not acceptable to this guest. Canceling 3 days prior to arrival and still being able to rebook for another date was to her the only acceptable option. If we made an exception for her on such short notice and were unable to rebook the room for the cancelled nights, we would be incurring a loss equal to the value of the original donation and then would be obligated to offer to additional nights doubling the cost to us. Asking us to incur such a sizable loss after making a heartfelt donation to a good cause was not reasonable to ask us to do.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We appreciated the exotic garden and environnement with several separate charming places and we almost felt at home ( warm welcome, limonade and cakes every time in the afternoon, ) .Our room had a hudge bed ,a little balcony and nice décoration ...
I loved to look at all those paintings on the walls all over the house !
It has been a very happy stay for both of us .