“Great resort in Key West”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Eclectic resort encircled by ocean. Parrots, tortoises and iguanas on the grounds. Caring, friendly staff that gives extra effort to make sure your stay is enjoyable. Stoned Crab Restuarant has wonderful food and great servers. Hotel shuttle gets you to downtown district through day and late evening. An exceptional stay at a great price.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mo G
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

I see you are from Key West and had friends staying with us. That happens a lot. Key Westers come to our restaurant and see how nice the hotel is now and recommend Ibis Bay to visiting friends. Its a nice solution if you don't hve room for house guests. Thank you for your observations and kind words. I hope you and your friends get a chance to come back to Ibis again soon

There are newer reviews for Ibis Bay Beach Resort

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This was the first big trip we had ever planned using the internet, and were leery about where to stay in Key West. We knew we would not be spending a lot of time in our room because we would be trying to take in all that Key west had to offer, so the size and location were not huge factors in picking a resort. What did catch our eye were all the wonderful pics of rooms and beach areas and all it had to offer and the price seemed right. When we arrived we were very excited on what we saw, the property and all the little nooks and crannies really made us feel we were in the keys. When we arrived to our room, the champagne I had ordered as a surprise for my wife was sitting there iced and waiting for us. The room was on the second floor and small, but was still very clean and well decorated. We really enjoyed the the food and atmosphere at their restaurant the Stoned Crab, the food was very good, and we sat near the water every time so I could check out the fish swimming. Everyday when we came back to our room it was always clean and organized. We rented bikes for the day for $18 from the resort what a deal, and kept them till the next day since we got back so late with no late fee. Oh and the bed was so comfortable, had a great nights sleep.The one really nice feature we took great advantage of was the little yellow Short Bus. This shuttle left on every hour during the day and on every half hour at night taking and picking up guests to and from the downtown. The drivers were very friendly and helpful, it was nice being able to enjoy all the great bars and restaurants without having to drive. It was funny that even thou the resort was on the main road with all the road construction going on, it still felt hidden away and and no road noise to break the mood. At night we would sit on this little deck under a lighted tree overlooking the water, it was very romantic spot.We are already planning our next trip to Ibis Bay for next year. Very nice people with the a great atmosphere.

2  Thank Ted A
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

It is such a wonderful feeling to know that Ibis Bay is special for you. Because it is for us too. We all love this wonderful piece. Our unique piece of Key West's Fabulous 50s is sparkling again! Thank you for choosing to stay here and writing about your experience.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I will start off by saying that I was SO nervous booking a room here. I like to do my research and seeing some of the negative reviews made me hesitant. It was my first time in Key West and I wanted to make sure that everything was perfect. Looking at the photos that pictured the beach front rooms sealed the deal for me. I mean, where else in Key West can you get a room that opens onto a white sand beach. Let me say that I am SO glad I stayed here. Please everyone, ignore the negative reviews. I can't say enough -- the rooms were clean, the decor was adorable (bright and beachy) and, we even had brand new towels. The tags were still attached! Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend a lot of time at the resort as I was only in Key West for a few days and wanted to explore. I would have loved to extend my stay however. They have everything you need here to keep you entertained -- jet-skis, bicycles, boat charters, scooters, a pool... etc. The little shuttle they have to Duval Street is awesome -- so convenient. Even the bus looks like it's brand new. The cleaning staff and the front desk staff were both very friendly too. Other posters have commented on the noise. Honestly, we heard nothing. We even commented on how quiet it was at night. 100% will be back to Ibis Bay.

Room Tip: Book a beach front room!!!
3  Thank Brucie86

A quick explanation: "Professional complainers" know that they can get free stays from chain hotels if they threaten to write a bad review. We won't tolerate that. I am not claiming we are perfect, but the "professional complainers" definitely do pay us back. Enough about that negative stuff.
Your review is wonderfully honest. You had doubts, but you liked what you saw on our website and it all turned out fantastic. I am so happy for you. And I am proud that what we did for you made your time here enjoyable. Thank you for choosing Ibis Bay. I am looking forward to you coming back.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Biggest problem for us was the lack of internet connectivity. We were on the second floor. Didn't work there, didn't work in the restaurant, didn't work at the pool. Loved the decor in our tiny little room, but tiny may be giving it too much credit. Miniscule. Wee little shower had really low water pressure. And don't get me started on the size of the toilet seat... Comfy bed, though. It's obvious Management has fantastic, fun, creative ideas for the entire property and that, bit by bit, those ideas are being realized. In the meantime, though, it feels somewhat disjointed and definitely a work in progress. Loved sitting on the floating docks directly on the waterfront at the rear of the property. Peaceful. The parking situation seemed to mess up the beach vibe, with a mixture of sand and macadam blurring the lines between aesthetics and practicality. The air conditioner in our room was noisy and, even turned to its highest setting, didn't keep the room comfortably cool overnight. Enjoyed The Stoned Crab. Great service and atmosphere. There's an authentic Key West vibe happening here, and maybe it would be worth paying to stay in the beachfront rooms. Other reviewers seem to think so. We were only in Key West one night and would love to return for a longer stay. Maybe the Ibis will be ready for primetime then.

Room Tip: "Value Rooms" are VERY small. Pay more to upgrade to something larger.
1  Thank Wahzah
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

You (and me tool!!!) will be happy to know we just finished testing some completely new wi-fi technology this week and It works perfectly. That includes streaming video without buffering. Because our old buildings are built of coral stone that is more tha a foot thick, wi-fi reception has been an on-going problem that no supplier was able to solve ... until now. It will take a few weeks to complete thoughout the resort. No-one could be happer about this than I am. Thank you for choosing Ibis Bay and sharing your thoughts.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ibis Bay Resort and we LOVED it! The service was great, the rooms were comfy, and the resort gave you the laid back island feel. We enjoyed just walking around the resort and seeing the various animals on site along with relaxing on the beach chairs by the water. We loved the restaurant Stoned Crab which was on site. After swimming and exploring Key West during the day it was nice to have a quiet close place to eat and the food was delish! We actually got guest of the day one day and that really made us feel like valued guests. We will stay at the Ibis Bay again!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank bbinder06

It sounds like you enjoyed Ibis Bay the way we hope all our guests do. Its a quiet, but always interesting place you can come back to after being busy downtown or doing activities. Some guests just relax here on the beach in a hammock the whole time they are in Key West. I will look forward to seeing you here agin. Thank you for your support.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Hotel is very cool. Nice Styling. Clean. Providing a hourly shuttle bus to the center. Nice pool area and good restaurant. So far so good. Sure it is pricy, but in the Keys all of the Hotel are.

What was dissatisfying is that the promote High Speed Wifi as a room amenity.But in fact it does not work in the rooms and the crew knows it. The houses are built in thick limestone, and that's what the crew is also explaining. And the did not care about the fact that they do misleading advertising. They showed no interest when I confronted them with that fact and on could feel that they did not care at all about it.

So go there if you want a cool hotel. But not if you need Wifi in your Room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

How right and wrong you are. You are right about our style. But when it comes to our attitude about wi-fi goes you are off the mark. We not only care, we have invested almost $100K to try and solve a unique problem. Standard wi-fi will not penetrate our thick coral stone walls. But tests this week with a new technology seems to have solved the problem. We are conducting guest exit interviews this week to make sure it works as well as we think it does. I think you will be impressed next time you come to Ibis Bay. The new system wil be resort-wide in the next few weeks

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

First off, I just want to say THANK YOU to the entire staff!! The hotel staff & The Stoned Crab staff really made this a memorable trip!!!
This hotel is simply amazing!!
Some friends & I chose Ibis Bay for my bachelor weekend.
We arrived by taxi early in the morning and were greeted with a "hello" from a friendly parrot that sits outside the lobby!
The staff at the front desk were great. Probably the most speedy check-in I've EVER had!
We got to our rooms, which were 2 adjoining second floor suites, put our bags down and went straight to The Stoned Crab for lunch!
I've never felt so welcome at a restaurant/bar before! The bartender was excellent! We ate here everyday! The food and drinks were the BEST on the island! (By far the best Conch Fritters I've ever had) The bartender bought us a round, even the owner bought us a round!
I'm so glad we picked this place to stay! I've been to Key West a hundred times and this place is HANDS DOWN the friendliest, most outgoing resort on the island!!!
I definitely will return!!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

I saw you guys quite a few times. Every time you were having fun. That's what it is all about here. See you next time!