“Great place”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the Ibis Resort on a business trip and it was great. Not the usual concrete box I stay in for business but a relaxed and casual beach resort that still delivered on great service and great accommodation.
If you want a stuffy and stiff business hotel where a shirt and tie is the norm and if trouser presses and irons are important to you, probably not the place for you, but if you want a clean, safe, friendly and convenient place to stay in Key West that offers a simple base for a business trip with free wifi to keep in touch with the office, the Ibis is certainly the place to stay. Also a great place to relax and unwind in the evening with a beer and good food.

Thanks for a great stay and good luck.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Lee F
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

I have travelled a lot on business and I share your dread of most of the hotels I encountered. It's nice to happen upon to a unique place that is really different and relaxed but still affordable. No more concrete boxes! Check your ties at the door!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a short visit to Key West. The room was nice enough and it was right on the water. It was further away from the action then I liked and because of local construction it was a bit of a pain to get to. Overall I would recommend and I would stay again. I cannot however recommend the restaurant. My daughter and I checked in and after our very long drive to Key West we were tired and hungry. We decided to have an early dinner at the restaurant. Bad Idea!!! My daughter ordered the steak. We both found it chewy and dry. I ordered the seafood Mac and Cheese. I found it very tasteless and only ate a small portion. At about 4am I woke up sick to my stomach. I vomited up every last bit of that food. I spent the day eating soda crackers and Ginger Ale to help settle my stomach. Horrible experience! Stick with the hotel portion and you wont go wrong. I would probably choice something closer to the action next time around.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Elizabeth D

I am glad to know we'll see you again. The current road work is obviously temporary and it affects all of Key West's hotels and attractions. Once you are in Ibis Bay, you are not aware of it, but navigating around it is a chore.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at the Ibis Bay Resort during spring break probably one of Key Wests busiest times. The service was great at the hotel the rooms were cute and very clean! You can also rent scooters, electric cars and even motorcycles from the front desk. They even have where you can book snorkeling trips, jet skiing trips and parasailing there as well. We stayed in the double bed room that backed up to your own beach area. You do share it with your neighbors because you are all backed to the same area. The restaurant on resort property was also very nice and everyone was very friendly. This was definitely a winner! If we return to Key West we will definitely be staying here again! LOVED every minute here!

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Flagirl89

"Loving every minute" sounds like you and Ibis Bay were a great match. I am glad to hear it!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The rooms are small but we really liked the design - colourful, kind of Caribbean style, very clean. We booked a waterfront room, it was nice to have a beach just behind the door but the water is dirty so you wouldn't swim there. There is a table and chairs in front of each of the waterfront rooms so you can have a breakfast outside or just relax there but the rooms are so close to each other that people don't have any privacy in case their neighbours are also outside. A few hammocks and curious birds just outside the door are cool.
It's not located within walking distance to the city centre of Key West so it's not so busy, if you decide to drive there beware that it's quite difficult to find a parking spot. There is a convenience store just across the street which is handy.
We had a dinner in the restaurant and the food was very nice, we had the local speciality - stone crabs - and it was delicious.
We really liked the hotel and at the end we were sorry we stayed there just for 1 night but the accommodation in Key West isn't cheap and we didn't have much time so we decided to spend more time on the mainland of Florida, Key West in general is very touristy but we are glad we've been there.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the waterfront rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KatLan

I am so glad you enjoyed everything. We are just over a mile from Duval St (downtown) but that does mean you get some real peace and quiet. For lots of travelers, that's an important plus. Everyone can benefit from "hammock time".

Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel was a bit of a letdown. The room was small, but right on the water. There was none of the amenities that you would normally expect in a hotel iervfn this price range ie. no coffee, no iron in the room. the wifi didn't work. Worst thing was getting woken up at 230 in the morning by the front desk asking us who we were and then began to argue with us as to why we were in the room. That is just poor customer service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Steveg713
ChrisHollandKeyWest, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

I apologize for our Night Clerk's error. I will find out how that happened to make sure it isn't ever repeated. Thank you for letting me know.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The beds are rock hard and rooms are the size of a jail cell. Rooms are clean and no weird smells. Toilet space is small and can't have a comfortable #2. The fan in our bathroom never worked. Not close to downtown. For the price it was an average stay and just a place to sleep and no more.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank TLegend

Our Value Rooms are small but they are a great price for Key West. Perfect if you just want to a cost effective place to sleep. Our waterfront rooms are a lot bigger and are right on the beach. I will identify your room and have that fan fixed straight away.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel was very nice and well kept. While on the water, there is really no beach. The pool is nice and the on site restaurant is OK..Free coffee was offered in the morning, but it was difficult to get. The beds were very comfortable and overall it was a good place to stay. Nearly all rooms in Key West are very pricey, so you might want to travel down, see the sunset, and then head north a little way to get a room.

Room Tip: There is a lot of construction now, so west side would be best.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank xteacher_ua

Glad you like Ibis Bay. All beaches in Key West are coral rock ... hard to walk on. Our new white sand beach is all imported sand. As the Department of Environmental Protection must protect the bay bottom habitat at our beach edge we have just installed a swim platform 40ft off the beach that you access by a long floating dock. Great snorkeling!