“Well done!”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I just got back from staying at the Ibis Resort! What else can I say but thank you! From the staff, to my room to the location it was awesome! Tom, my pool bartender was always on top of making my drinks and did it with pride! The owners welcomed us like family. We met some fabulous people by the pool and ended our last night with them. The staff is very friendly offering tips and the best places to see and eat! I cannot wait to come back again, as was stated to me when we left, it's not a good bye but we will see you later! Ands that's for sure! Thanks a million times over!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Southerngirlsrock
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Making friends + Making memories + Wanting to come back. They are the real goals of a good vacation. I am glad we played a role in making that happen for you. Than you for coming and SEE YOU SOON!!

There are newer reviews for Ibis Bay Beach Resort

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We really liked the style in our beachfront room. Loved our little patio on the beach with hammocks nearby, the fun art and little painted details on the walls, lovely tile in the bathroom, large plush beach towels. So we were very surprised by the squeakiest mattress I have ever experienced-- truly comical! Luckily we're pretty "static" sleepers because any movement makes for quite a symphony of sound.

I'm giving 4 stars nevertheless because my overall experience was good--the restaurant has good food and there is a nice pool. Take note: wi-fi is only available in the public areas.

Room Tip: A room on the beach is worth it for the view. Beware the squeaky mattresses. Wi-fi only available in...
1  Thank coopdedoo
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

I am glad you had so much fun. We bought some mattresses that have started to squeak because it is often so humid here. I thought we got them all replaced but you found one. I will get it replaced. So thanks for letting me know. See you again soon!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I liked this hotel a lot. The rooms opened onto a waterfront patio and were spacious and clean. There were birds and manatees to see. The restaurant has free coffee out by 6AM. It was easy to get everywhere we wanted to go. But the outstanding feature was the customer service. The waitress ran up to the desk to confirm what time check out was. They responded immediately to every request we made. The desk clerk fixed the loose screw in my sun glasses! The manager stopped us on the walkway to ask about our experience. A trip to Key West should be easy and relaxing. You'll get that with this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patricia F
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

A genuine smile, a simple "hello", a helping suggestion or an act of kindness are the memorable moments that make us all feel welcome. I think we interact more with our guests than a lot of hotels. It's actually the best part of our job. It's so nice to hear that it meant a lot to you. Thanks for letting us know.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were in a pinch to find a hotel for the boat show. Claudine answered my call and was able to find accommodations for us! She went above and beyond and that was awesome! The check-in and check-out was easy, fast and smooth. Our room was a waterfront room and it really was waterfront! Cute, cute, cute, old Havana style, tastefully appointed and the view was spectacular! I saw some comments regarding "the rooms were small" but it is an older hotel so that is generally to be expected. But again, they created a cozy atmosphere in the true Key West spirit!!! Hot water, good water pressure, clean beds, plenty of pillows. Love the old pictures on the walls. Grounds were clean, pool big and clean. Restaurant on property was great - had breakfast and lunch there. Add in the turtles and exotic birds on the premises and you have a winner! So thank you again Claudine for helping us - you rock :) !

1  Thank Nancy T
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Claudine has worked at Ibis Bay longer than anyone else. You found out why. Thank you for letting me know how well she did. She'll get a gold star!!
To me, being on the beach on Ibis Bay is like living in a Key West postcard. Out of 47 Key West hotels only 8 have their own beach. We are the most affordable.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was a little concerned about trying this hotel because of previous reviews, but I am so glad we tried it. We stayed there 3 nights and it was fantastic. The hotel property is very clean (was especially impressed with the beach areas) as well as the rooms. I want to give acknowledgement to the housekeeping staff their, especially Anna who cleaned our room (400) during our stay. We were in and out and had all our stuff (including bike gear) that she worked around. The only thing I was not impressed with was the restaurant or bar. Not really because they were bad but because a lot of the food was not to my taste. The service there was okay.

1  Thank Debra M
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Ibis Bay is a great place that was not great for a while. It is a historic coral gem built in the 50s. Our renovations have made it better in every respect, and unique just like Key West.
Thank you for your review. I hope we see you again soon. I will make sure Anna sees your review. She is terrific!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had waterfront room. Bed was very worn out, sagged to middle.
Fridge did not work when we got there. Called front desk, they sent engineer, he comes in and tells us its a ow capacity fridge and we had too much stuff in it. I said really? He barely spoke english, said all rooms were full so we just had to deal with it. He left, I checked back of fridge and found an issue.Fixed it myself and worked full blast the rest of the time.

We also requested a microwave which was not in room, called and they had to get us one.

We ate at their resteraunt and the food was pretty good but the service was awful. The girl was clueless right down to when she brought the check she did not give me a pen to sign the bill. She was dreadful throughout the meal.

Had to ask twice for housekeeping to wash the floor. And we tipped them everyday.

Pool area was nice, no hot tub. Pool bar is not open all the time, so plan ahead, but you are not allowed to bring your own into pool area.

They are doing a lot of upgrades such as new sand, hammocks a small dock etc. However you are waterfront not beach front. There is no beach.

Not sure we would stay again based on matress issue. Our backs were killing us. And no headboards lets the bed move away from wall and you lose your pillows.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hooters7
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I located your waterfront room and the problem turned out to be a broken bed base. We replaced it. All our mattresses are new so I knew it wasn't that.
"Little things" not going right can erode a great experience. Like you enjoying the food at The Stoned Crab but the waitress not leaving a pen to sign the check. I am going to use your review to address the issue at our weekly manager's meeting. Thank you for your insights.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

A "Mystery Vacation" air/hotel package brought us to the Ibis Bay Waterfront Resort, and we were pleasantly surprised. Our very clean room had a colorful, tropical decor, a flat screen television with lots of channels, and a dorm room size refrigerator with a large freezer for storing lots of ice. Another nice feature was the iPod charging/docking station alarm clock. In addition to the ample 3 drawer dresser, the room had a queen size bed, 2 night stands, relaxed, soothing light from 2 paper lantern lamps, and a pair of tropical island style turquoise cane chairs. It was quiet at night, so we slept very well on the comfortable pillow top mattress and noticed the quality bedding which included 4 pillows with allergen pillow covers, crisp white sheets, and a lightweight comforter. Another nice touch was the black facial wipe washcloth for make up removal. We loved the convenient location - close to restaurants, grocery/liquor stores, shopping centers and only 12 minutes by bike to Duval Street. Ibis Bay has a nice pool with music, a bar, and movies on Thursday nights. The beach area's hammocks and clean sand for our beach towels, created the perfect place for enjoying the sun and watching the Ibis birds. Owner Chris and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: The waterfront rooms have the best location, but we enjoyed our courtyard room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

I met this lovely couple while they were enjoying a dice game on the beach one afternoon. We had a chance to talk a little about the hotel's past and its future. I am so glad they put their thoughts on "paper" because they are well-travelled and that perspective should be shared. Thank you both.