“a nice find in key west”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed December 3, 2011

we went over with a few friends for just one night. it is a small but very nice resort. the rooms are clean and very creativ designed. the service and personal was very friendly. we enjoyed the stay and it will be always my choice if i travel to key west.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andre R

Reviewed December 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Ibis bay during the week of Thanksgiving. We booked our room through hotwire and got a fairly good rate. I read the reviews on here before our trip and was really unsure what to expect. The front desk staff was very helpful and got us checked in quickly. The resort is nothing fancy and I wouldn't consider it to be beachfront, however we weren't impressed with any of the beaches in Key West. The room was very small with just the bare minimum of a bed, tv, and small bathroom (shower only). The room we got was however very clean and it looked like it had recently been painted, and cleanliness is the main thing I look for when traveling. The pool deck was nice, but I wish they had a hot tub. We also ate at their restaurant, The Stoned Crab, twice during our trip. Once was for lunch and the other time for dinner, and both times our food was excellent with very large portions. They charge a resort fee of $10.50 which I don't thoroughly agree with since we wasn't provided with any sort of amenities. Overall, the resort is nice and I think that their website gives a fair description and accurate photos. We wasn't impressed with the area overall, but Ibis was a nice low key place to stay for a couple nights.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Csettle
Reviewed November 28, 2011

good service,nice people,beautiful and romantic honeymoon room!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank moema11
Reviewed November 25, 2011

After reading some of the other reviews on here I feel I have to give my version of events. I never write reviews but feel that the hotel has been unfairly called.

The hotel was exactly as described and I found it to be very clean and quaint. Yes the rooms are on the small side, as are the bathrooms, but everything was clean on my stay, nothing was stolen and the front desk staff were helpful and able to answer any questions I had.

We had a room on the second floor facing the parking lot. An issue to others maybe but as we were in Key West to see things and use the room for showering, changing and sleeping it really wasn't an issue. Plus we had less distance to go when carrying our cases!

As we don't like to be disturbed on our holidays we left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door but the one day we forgot, we came back to find the maid had left fresh towels and toiletries on the bed and not touched a thing, despite the fact our cases were open and things were on the bed.

The air conditioning is a little noisy but to be honest, I've rarely stayed in a place that is silent, especially with rooms that face outside so I had no issues there.

The pool was clean and well laid out with plenty of sun loungers and eating in the restaurant was lovely as you could sit by the water and enjoy a nice drink and the tastiest Key Lime Pie we had all holiday.

The walk to Duval street was about 30 minutes, so the hotel is based on the edge of town but the walk was easy with plenty to look at.

Overall I really enjoyed my time at the Ibis Bay Waterfront Resort and was pleasantly suprised by the outdoor exterior and the cute, clean rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Griffin D
Reviewed November 24, 2011

My husband and I were so disappointed with Ibis Bar Waterfront Resort. The associate at the front desk was slow and careless and the rooms were worse. The room had a wet/mildew musk in the air, the bathroom was too small, and the bed was nasty. Our room was on the "beach" which was smelly, rocky, and brown. It is near a Fridays which shows how depressing this place is. Also Duval Street is pretty close by, which is a total waste of time unless you are over the age of 50. Overall there was nothing about this hotel that would make me want to recommend it or come back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jazzmine N
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Overall it's not bad for a quick getaway but if your looking for a long vacation look elsewhere. The room was clean and redone, bathroom is very small and there are no closets or dressers to store your clothes. AC is noisy and kicks on and off constantly but it kept the room cool. Check in was smooth, bar and resturant were ok too. Ground are nothing to brag about but generally clean. Water sports on site, small beach area.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank scootstheman
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The location is perfect- just far away yet close enough for Duval St madness as well as family fun at Smather's Beach or Ft. Zachary. You can actually bike or moped anywhere from here. The outside of the resort is wonderfully re-done (seashells instead of rocks in the parking lot areas, dried coral on the facade of buildings, brightly colored painted buildings) and it looks inviting. The pool area is wonderful and right next to the hotel bar & restaurant that seemed to always be open with good basic food plus some expensive options that we never tried. The resort owns some interesting animals that are fun to check out- giant parrots and giant turtles. There weren't as many families- it seemed to be older vacationing people so the vibe was relaxed and not chaotic. It was a great place to relax when we needed downtime in between vacation activities so on those accounts- I highly recommend it!

The downside: the inside of the rooms. I was super disappointed that after we upgraded to a "water view room" there was no beach. It was on the water, but on a bay-front where it seemed to ALWAYS be low-tide. And if you've ever been to a beach or worse, a bay, at low-tide- the smell is horrific. Being that our room was right on the water, it constantly smelled like sewage even though we never opened the sliding glass doors because the stench was so bad. DO NOT REQUEST A WATER-VIEW ROOM!! If you do, bring airfreshener and candles. The bathroom was also sad as the lighting seemed like prison lighting. There was also only one mirror in the entire room which was the small bathroom mirror- which made it difficult for two people to get ready at once, or even one person really. There was no dresser or table or anything to put our luggage or clothing on or in. We requested a table which they told us they'd bring and they never did. We ended up leaving our clothes on the tile floors for the 6 days... we had no other choice.

Basically, as long as it's a short stay so you have no need to put clothing away anywhere and you don't get a water-view room and you don't spend much time in your room... you'll be good! It was inexpensive so I'm not totally dissatisfied with my stay, I just think they need a few small improvements and the smell would have been my only negative remark.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are on the bay which smells like sewage- stay away