“Probably the worst hotel in the world!”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Probably the worst hotel in the world!”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Do not stay here! It is disgusting. It was an awful experience that I do not recommend even to my worst enemy. It is filthy, the employes are unfriendly and inexperienced and worse of all they are not serious people. I was cheated when making my reservation and led to believe that the room was something completely different than what it ended up being. In the end, me and my wife ended up sleeping in the floor, because there was no room for us and the kids (and we are not fat, at all!!). We complained but they simply did not care.
I wish you all a good trip,
Filipe

Room Tip: There is unfortunately no good rooms!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank filgud
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Since February, when this guest stayed at the hotel, a new management team hired by the new owners has made big improvements in staffing and more rooms have been renovated. If you read the majority of our reviews you can see that most guests (not all!) rate their stay at Ibis Bay positively now.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights this past weekend. We had stayed here last year when it was the Blue Lagoon. It really was not my first choice of places to stay for this weekend because we wanted to be in Old Town and at a nicer place. However, I had a tough time finding B & B's in town with (1) vacancies (2) no 3-night minimum and (3) somewhat reasonable rates. So, I turned to Blue Lagoon as a last resort, and was surprised to see that after years and years, it had a new identity: Ibis Bay.

When we stayed at Blue Lagoon last year, it was cheap and had a huge pool, but not remotely impressive. The bed was awful, the linens cheap, the lighting in the room almost nonexistent, and just generally, trashy. What a difference a year has made.

-The staff are cleaner. Last year the front desk guy was kind of scuzzy and uncommunicative. This year, they're in uniforms and are pleasant and helpful.
-The lobby is no longer dark and dingy. It's bright and happy and Key Westy.
-The exteriors have all been painted and are really cute.
-The waterfront area, including the areas around 600 rooms, has been cleaned up significantly with new sand added.
-The rooms - wow, what a difference. Our room had clean, white beadboard wainscotting with blue walls. The bathroom had expensive-looking blue glass tiles around the sink, which had new fixtures. The bed was awesome - king size, comfortable, with tons of pillows and high quality linens. I recognized the end tables from Ikea - simple, but they did the job. We also had a decent-size flatscreen tv, which was nice when we wanted to nap before going on. The window treatments were even nicely done. As for decor, they got rid of that stale, floral-print old motel stuff - no tacky pastel sunset paintings or anything like that. Instead, they had vibrantly colored, retro-style travel posters framed on the wall and a nice navy blue and white duvet. The remodel was really well done.
-There were also plastic adirondack chairs in front of our room, which was nice when we wanted to have a beer before going out.

The negative:
-It would have been really nice to have a small refrigerator in our room. On our last day, I saw a small fridge, microwave and coffeemaker sitting outside the room next to us, as though they were going in.
-We didn't use the pool area because there were just too many kids in it. I work with kids; I don't need to hang around them on vacation! Obviously, this is not the hotel's fault, but something that visitors to Key West should keep in mind - this hotel may attract more families than typical Key West lodging.
-You have to take a cab (or drive. But who wants to drive in Key West?) to get to Old Town.
-The parking lot still kind of sucks. We got blocked in the parking lot by a delivery truck at the restaurant one day. Also, they still have parking down by the rooms facing US-1 - a huge Chevy Tahoe was parked 6-feet in front of our room for our stay in a legit parking space. I don't know why they need to use those spaces. It would be nice for room 606 and the room next to it not to have other people's cars at their doorstep.

I'm not sure what some of the people reviewing here are talking about, re: disgusting rooms and no phones. Our room had a phone and it was totally clean. Maybe all of the rooms haven't been remodeled? I don't know. But it's a decent buy for the price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bpdubs
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Owner at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you. I am so glad someone who knew how far we have come wrote about it. Honestly, Ibis Bay has a phenomenal waterfront location but everything else from a year ago did need work. We re-invest in improvements every day so guests have a better experience. Ibis Bay is also locally-owned, we are not corporate and don't want a "slick" corporate identity. When you walk in the Ibis Bay lobby, you are experiencing Key West. Keep coming back and you will keep seeing big more improvements.
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I am currently sitting here in a room that has maybe a 20 or so inch screen...not flat....one dining room chair...two beds one of which moves because it has wheels...the bathroom is so darn small a full of mold and shower stains on the tub as if you left a shampoo bottle there for years and the hard water stained it...the shower knobs are worn down as if they have been sitting in sea water for years....the sliding glass door does not slide....the air was totally off so the room was musty and hot....no head boards.....I could have done better in a freakin shack!!! There are stains all over the counter top, the little bit that is there in the little bathroom......oh and the kicker I was told we had parking in front of our room....nope not true!!! They were all handicap!!!!!!! Thanks....we have a lot of crap since we did south beach first and came over here....oh and don't be fooled by "WATER FRONT" VIEWS!!! I totally not worth the extra money!! This totally SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!! Worst room I have ever stayed in thanks Crap IBIS MOTEL!!!!

4 Thank chewbacca3
The discounted, un-renovated room this guest chose is extra-affordable. Guests who choose our low-priced un-renovated rooms are told they can inspect the room and upgrade to a newly renovated room within 30 minutes after their check-in if they are not happy. I wish this guest had made that change. We are renovating this original 1956 hotel room by room. Unfortunately we are not a chain hotel and we can't accomplish it all immediately. Affordability in Key West is rare so we feel it is a positive option for those guests who value it.
jupiter
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We were bumped from the double tree - 19 of our
Jupiter seahawk 10 under and 12 under girls to the Ibis for a tournament against the lady conchs . The rooms were dirty - some unfinished - staff were hard to deal with mostly russian / euro type . the dJ on saturday afternoon invited 6 strippers to the pool for a show in front of the young girls coming off a a game . disgusting place manager did nothing to stop or did they care .
the double tree refunded half of our money - they were great to deal with and quite embarrassed .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank fisherguide
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
This group of guests was highly agitated when they checked-in because they were bumped from their original hotel. It was an emergency situation and we gave them them the only rooms we had left. They were un-renovated rooms. They did not like them and were very rude to the Front Desk staff about it. Also the statement about "6 strippers putting on a show" is just not true. We are a family resort. The pool is also in full view of a main road and our restaurant. Management reviewed our two pool security cameras and saw nothing of the sort. A guest from that group did have an argument with the pool DJ. I imagine this story is a "payback" aimed at him.
Reviewed June 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and three days. The room was cute and simple with a key west style. No closet though, but we kept our clothes in our luggage.

Reviewed June 19, 2011

Most awful experience ever . Dirty rooms , no furniture, clogged bathroom drain which caused bathtub to overflow. Had to get out of shower with soap in hair to go tell lobby because their are no phones in rooms. Then wait an hour for someone to come knock on the door to hand me a plunger to fix my own bathtub. Spent a total of 3 hrs before becoming fed up and leaving. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place . Price is enticeing but don't be fooled like us . Almost ruined our vacation. Run ......

4 Thank Melissa M
ChrisHolland_Ibis, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
I appreciate this review, even though it is negative. Without positive and/or negative comments, it is hard for us to judge how we are really doing. Our housekeeping standards are high at IBIS BAY. But obviously this room was not up to standard. I have shown this review to the Head Housekeeper to make sure she is aware of the problem so it will be corrected. While our rooms ARE modestly furnished, they include all new beds, bedside tables, a flat screen TV and at least one side chair in every room. Many rooms have a small cafe table and two chairs. There are two outdoor chairs for most rooms as well. I invite this guest back with my compliments to give our staff another chance to make a good impression.
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Nice hotel & great location to shops & restaurants. Great place to watch the sunset. Minutes from shops &restaurants. For $99 a night not bad at all that meant more money for you to have a good time. The rooms are very beach like. You can watch the sunset or have a drink at the bar. The bed is alright & I bathroom is fine too enough to get clean up.