“Janie at the front desk was not telling the TRUTH.”

Ibis Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We drove into Key West stopped by the Welcome Center and Shane booked our reservation to stay at this place (disgusting). We were confirmed at $159 rate per night. Ten minutes later when we arrived this young woman with a Russian accent (?) said the room rate was $229 and we could not view the room before giving over our credit card????

I spoke with another clerk (guy with Russian accent) and he was more amenable. Do not stay in this place keep driving into Key West and you will find much better, cleaner accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gp0621
ibisbayresort, Director of Sales at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

I appreciate that this was brought to our attention. Ibis Bay's high season rates have not been $159 per night since the hotel's renovation was started a year ago. Unfortunately, the Welcome Center's rate information in their computer system did not reflect the current rates and they did not check our Front Desk before making this reservation. With other referral center's, the policy is to call the hotel and check availability plus daily rates before taking a reservation. I apologize for the Welcome Center.
For security and cleanliness reasons we cannot give guests keys to rooms prior to their check-in. Any guest will receive a full refund within 30 minutes of checking-in if the room is not to their liking. We display accurate photos of our rooms on a video monitor in the lobby. Our room access policy is considered standard industry practice. Thank you for letting us know about the Welcome Center problem. It is now fixed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We ride jet ski in this resort. We had a really bad experience there. Here is our review. Since we were new for jet ski and we knew nothing about how to control jet ski, we ride it slowly. But the tour guide came back to ask us to speed us and left us with very big wave. So we lost the control and hit the wall. We were so scared by the accident. But the tour guide still spoke to us without patience even yell at us rudely. It ended up with that we finished the two-hour tour in 10 minutes. And we have to pay hundreds of money since we hit the wall by their mistakes.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank DaisyDong
ibisbayresort, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

It is unfortunate that these riders lost control of their ski. Each rider is given full instruction by State licensed instructors before departing the dock. They are also given required safety gear. Finally, they are asked if the understand how to operate the watercraft and they must agree in writing before they depart. These riders did sign that agreement. Accidents are rare and neither party feels good about it when it does happen. Fortunately, the riders did not injure themselves.

Reviewed March 12, 2011

This was my second visit to the Keys. I stayed in one of the other Keys on my last visit and found it less desirable than Key West. When looking for a place to stay the week, I found Ibis Bay. The colorful decor and welcoming staff made it an easy choice. I spent most of my time in the resort- swimming at the pool, riding the waverunners and feeding the parrots. The restaurant is a great place to sit, relax and get some great American finger-lickin' good food. The buffalo wings- served in a bag- are a must have! For dessert don't pass up the frozen hot chocolate. It is worth the calories! At night, we sat at the bar for some cocktails and listened to an amazing musician. No need to travel to the strip and fight the drunken hordes of people! Our room was tastefully decorated- blues and white- nautical themed room. The room overlooked the bay- a great view during the sunset.
This resort is a perfect place to hang out with friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2011

My wife, son (16 yrs old), and I stayed at the Ibis for 4 nights. I echo what another reviewer said, which is that if you are looking for luxury, do not stay here, but if you are looking for a quiet, clean place to stay, then consider the Ibis. This was formerly the "Blue Lagoon Sports Motel" which I was told had a spotty reputation. New owners are trying to change this back to a value place to stay and I think they are succeeding. Our room was small/spartan, but it was clean, freshly painted, and served as a great starting and ending point for our stay. We did not want to spend a lot of money on our hotel since we planned on being out most of the time. The Ibis fit that bill. You can wake up, walk to their patio/outdoor bar/restaurant and get a great latte for $2.50 and breakfast that is reasonably priced, then go downtown to enjoy Key West. The pros of the Ibis were the cost (and free parking), location, cleanliness, and quiet. Cons were the somewhat loud AC unit, waterfront (which is just a man-made bay with rocky shoreline), and small size of the room. The support staff were all kind, but we did have to ask for items that we had requested in our reservation, like a refrigerator and hair dryer. We also asked for a microwave, but we never got one, but that was OK because I'm not sure where it would have fit into our room. Another pro was that across the street is a large grocery store/pharmacy. It also has a nice salad/fruit/soup bar so if you want to save some money, you can make yourself a big salad to go.

I would recommend a waterfront room. Being able to open the sliding door and sit outside made the room seem larger and more private. We never used the pool even though it looked great. We only ate breakfast there, so I can't comment on dinner but they did have live entertainment when we returned from our days out. I was concerned with possible noise (neighbors, live music, street noise), but that was never a problem. Also, there is not bathtub, just a shower which is fine for us, but may be important to you. Not to be rude, but one of my criteria for an OK bathroom is if I can sit on the toilet and close the door without hitting my legs. You can. Still, the bathroom is small, but servicable.

All in all, the Ibis is more like a motel than a hotel, giving you the basics. But if you are looking for a reasonably priced place to use as a starting point, then I would recommend adding this to your list of possible places to stay.

Outside of the Ibis, we drove into town each day (less than 5 minute drive). If you are going to spend all day downtown, then use the city's parking ramp at the corner of Grinnell and Caroline. Thirteen dollars for covered parking that's located right at the beginning of the boardwalk. If you want to park for free, then we found we could still find places a few blocks off of Duval Street (the main street in town) if we got downtown by 9 am. Key West doesn't seem to wake up until 10:30ish so finding a spot wasn't hard for us. We would recommend going to Ft. Zachary State Park. Great snorkling, swimming, eating (picnic tables in the shade), restrooms, and you can see the sunset without the crowds (I included a picture). Seven dollars gets a car in for the entire day. You can leave and reenter that day as long as you save your receipt. Finally, we did a 4-hour snorkling/lunch trip with Capt Alex (Islescapes). It was great. Just my family, Capt Alex and his first mate. We had lunch on the beach of an island about 10 miles offshore that we basically had to ourselves. Capt Alex will make whatever you request for lunch. Snorkling was great by a lighthouse around 9 miles offshore then we snorkled by a sunken pirate ship nearer to the Keys. It was about $450, but if you can afford it, we'd recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2011

My firends and I were looking for somewhere to get away for our Midwinter break from teaching and this was the perfect place. The staff was so helpful and went above and beyond to accommodate us. As soon as we arrived, we had little to no wait before we checked into our Suite.

The food at the restaurant was delilsh - and the drinks were great too! I particularly enjoyed the live music that played each night.

By far, the jetski rental (which is available at the resort) was amazing. Even though I had a very hard time controling my jet ski, the tour guide was very friendly and didn't make me feel like a complete moron for not knowing how to control my jet/boat ski. As a matter of fact, I was able to sit back while he did all of the driving. It was awesome!

My friends and I plan to make this trip a yearly thing and we will definitely make Ibis Bay our resort of choice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KdgTeacherYLS
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We booked this tip n the internet so BUYER BEWARE!!!! Their website showed beautiful rooms. When we got there NOT SO MUCH. We wanted a waterfront place so our teenage daughters could sit on the beach. "BEACH" consists of about 4 feet of rocks and litter. Before we discovered this, at the front desk, we inquired about oour daugher having her wedding there. We were told "Misty" would be in touch with us. Three visits later to the lobby, and no call from the ubiquitous "Misty" or her presence...A Phantom Employee??? If so good name. the restaurant was decent, however I have diabetic issues and the server did not speak enough english to understand me! We will go elsewhere next time.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank kimlopez23
ibisbayresort, Manager at Ibis Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2011

Key West's natural beach material is crushed coral rock. Many visitors expect white sand and are dissappointed. So, this year we are installing 600ft of artificial white sand beach at Ibis Bay to better meet those guest's expectations.
Misty is definitely real ... no phantom. Our Front Desk did not alert Misty regarding the potential wedding. We apologise for that. Misty manages special functions at the hotel with great skill and enthusiasm. I have taken corrective action to make sure this Front Desk oversight is never repeated.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

Over priced food that was lacking taste and imagination. Frozen fries that were undercooked, salads over dressed and some menu items not always available. Happy hour 2-for-1 was a bonus. Servers did not speak English very well and one did not know what Conch was eventhough it is a local catch. Management walked around wearing white apron and big hunk of keys jingling on waistband and only pointed the finger at waitresses in times of chaos instead of helping them. We ate in restaurant every night, never asked for any alterations, special requests, and only required minor attention. We did not get any acknowledgement from management once during his many travels passed our table (he seemed occupied entertaining the owner and his friends beside us). The water front was dirty and rocky and had a HORRIBLE ROTTEN SMELL almost every day and could not enjoy sitting outside. The only nice sandy beach area was a small space beside restaurant where rentable seadoos were lined up. Saw seadoos go out only once during our 5 day stay. Internet was only available in the restaurant. Room did not have coffee maker, fridge, microwave, or even a table or chairs. Nights were spent listening to trees or pieces of roofing banging on roof. I think it should be labelled as a motel, not a resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple