“Mass Produced Art” 3 of 5 stars

Maine USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Mass Produced Art”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Having worked for Wyland, in Hawaii, I know something about the art and the artist. As a person, he's a self-centered, arrogant, emotionally immature man, who cares only about profits and, most of all, his own ego, which is HUGE. He knows just how to behave around the public and media though, the "I'm a great guy", image that fools many people who don't know him personally, or his indulgent life-style, works really well. I too thought he truly cared about the environment and the principles he claims to support, but for the most part, it's a sham, targeted at gaining more publicity and making profits. His brother, who's just as rude and arrogant, is actually more the marketing genius behind Wyland's success. For the most part, they are ruthless, heartless businessmen who will claim and use anyone or any method to make money and gain fame. Despite his character flaws and callous, tyrannical treatment of many of his employees (mostly those who are not up to par on sales) or anyone who doesn't serve his interests, and, despite his own selfish motives, he has organized some coastal clean-up events and raised awareness about the ocean environment. For this, and for the uplifting and beautiful art of other artists he features, who ARE talented, it is worth visiting his galleries. No, I was not fired, but I did quit because I was tired of seeing how badly he treated people who didn't bring him profits, and of the whole, phony facade of how he portrays himself to the public and media, and how very different, tyrannical and nasty he can be behind the scenes, the whole Wyland sales environment you see in the galleries, is incredibly "sharky", and very contrived and planned, even the words the sales rep's use when greeting people who walk in, are what they ask you to say in the high end sales trainings. It's all about "be-friending" the public, to get you to part with your money by buying the art. It's an act.
At least know the facts about the artist and the tricks he uses in his business before walking into his gallery believing him to be a wonderful human being and a genius. His art IS mass produced. He does not sit there and make each sculpture himself by hand!, he doesn't even sign each piece. The sculptures are ALL made in a factory. Even the designs are not necessarily his for the sculptures. He does some of the paintings himself but he also has artists do back grounds for some of them. He couldn't possibly manage to create that much art for all his galleries himself, this is why most of his art for sale are not originals, but limited edition prints and sculptures. If you want original sculptures, actually hand made by the artist, go to another gallery, another artist, and ask if those pieces are actually hand made by the artist (originals), it used to amaze me how many people walking into the gallery actually believed the sculptures were all made by Wyland himself, people are so starry-eyed and dazzled when they walk in, that they act out of their sentimental emotions, they just don't think, until they get home and find they just spent more money than they could afford, on a piece of art that is not even what they thought it was, not to mention the lighting at the galleries (especially the "viewing rooms") is designed to make the art really stand out, it may not look as great on your wall back home!. It's ok to get emotional about the art and let yourself fall in love with a piece, but keeping your emotional responses in balance with your mind will help you make a much wiser, more intelligent decision when it comes to spending money on art. Don't be fooled into buying a piece by the smooth-talking sales reps', remember they want their commission and to keep their jobs, they have been trained to speak to you in a certain way and "read" you, looking for ways to work around your resistances and fears about spending money, they are not necessarily "nice people", obviously many are, but be aware of the "game", the tricks, such as the so-called "10% discounts on art, that always seems to be "ending soon" (pressures you into buying now, before you have time to think and reconsider your actions), etc."
Wyland galleries are worth a visit but don't be fooled by the "gloss", it's all for "show", it's not what it seems, know also that he is ruthless towards the other artists he features, taking a huge cut off their profits for the "privilage" of showing their art in his galleries, in other words, he doesn't give ANYTHING for free, but he's good at fooling you he's giving you a great, "once-in-a-lifetime" deal!, it's all a ruse designed to work around the predictable psychology of the average, human mind/emotional reactions.
Enjoy the galleries!.

Visited September 2011
49 Thank Liz M

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice Art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I enjoyed visiting this gallery. The people were friendly and very knowledgeable. I am thinking of purchasing a painting. Will visit again.

Visited August 2012
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Recent Sculpture Purchase”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We recently visited the gallery in Key West and saw some David Wight sculptures. We then visited their gallery closer to our home at Put in Bay, OH (I learned the same family owns both). The PIB gallery was very well done and an excellent adaptation of an older building. The displays were awesome! The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, the artist was great to chat with, and the service after the sale was outstanding. We will definitely visit them on future trips to the island (or the Keys for that matter) and we will have more of their great items in our home and businesses!

Visited July 2012
Marathon, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Truly amazing works of art. Dreamscape mentality where you feel like your seeing it live. A must see when you are walking around on Duval street. There are two galleries that feature this great artist. It is FREE to see.

Visited July 2012
Dunnellon, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Too Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Wyland Gallery is awesome to see. Beautiful art.
Here is my experience this time.
This was my sixth visit to Key West. It has been 10 years and I was really looking forward to seeing the Wyland Gallery and having my friends, one who was celebrating her 60th birthday, experience the gallery. It was their first visit to Key West and to a Wyland Gallery. The "birthday girl" was in the market for a wonderful piece of art to remind her of her visit and as a birthday present to herself - she purchased a piece but not from Wyland Gallery.
We went to the gallery at 623 Duvall Street first and asked to view a couple of paintings in the "dark room" I was so excited but then the bomb dropped on us, TAMBERLY, our sales rep- Tamberly did not show interest in us. Maybe we looked like we couldn 't afford a piece of art - she stated "I can show you if you are in the market for purchasing" - WOW, this was amazing to me since they had no one in the gallery and many people purchase art when they are not 'in the market' but are totally blown away by a piece that they see and must have. Tamberly really should check her attitude. You never know who may buy. It is always best practice, especially in sales, to treat everyone as a client and make their experience a wonderful one! It is all about the client -right Tamberly?
SO, the reason for my VERY GOOD review instead of terrible, number one, the art is awesome. Wyland is awesome. Number two, I visited the Wyland Gallery at 102 Duval Street (My friends didn't want to go in unfortunately) and met the sales representative, Larry. Larry was super informative - told me about artists - and this is after I told him I was just looking and not in the market to buy - He said it didn't matter, he wanted to tell me a few things if that was ok with me. I wish we had stepped into this gallery first and met Larry. Larry was awesome. Wyland needs more Larrys and less of Tamberlys!

Visited May 2012