I have to preface this by saying that I am not a picky person, and I don't expect every hotel to be the Ritz, especially at lower price points, but I do expect common courtesy and truth in advertising.
Let me start by saying that the hotel needs a meeting with their employee's on how to treat guests. The check in put me off at the start. I show up to have the guy behind the counter act as if I was inconveniencing him by checking in. Try greeting your guests by at least welcoming them. He gave me a poor explanation of the hotel, other than to say it would be an extra $10 for every hour past checkout if I was late and a drama queen attitude.
Here's the lowdown. If you take photos at the right angles, you can make any place look great. The only think historic about this place was the exterior. They have taken every public room away, chopped it up, and jambed in as many hotel rooms as possible into every sqaure inch. There is and entrance hall and stair with two chairs, and that's it. I got a 'superior' queen room. It was superior to sleeping in my car, yes. It had a balcony overlooking the parking lot, some renovations that looked to be done by a handy man and a few trips to Home Depot. It was dark, depressing, small and just dank. It had a shower that was 30" square with those plastic Home Depot shower walls. The mattress was old. It had no safe and a window a/c that was loud enough to keep you up. Yes, they put a cheap, empty, mini fridge in and a 19" flat screen and act as if it's renovated. On the positive side, the room was clean. Congrats to the cleaning staff. I had hoped to stay two night for a romantic weekend. I didn't even take the bags out of the car. It killed any romance.
The best was two pool towels they put out with a sign saying that if you want to keep one, they'll bill you $20. Who would ever want to take their $1.50 towel from Target home with them I thought? The pool is a rectangle in shade, nothing more. It is servicable, but not inviting. For $159 night in June, they really have to be kidding. There are better places all around this one. Breakfast is basic 'continental'.
When voicing my displeasure, instead of getting any kind of apology, all I got was more attitude. If your in college and are packing a few guys in to crash during fantasy fest, that's one thing. If you are looking for a nice romantic place, don't be fooled. It's post WW2 housing at best. Sorry, but historic or renovated it is not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic architecture with updated, modern rooms and amenities are what you will enjoy at our Chelsea House Hotel located two blocks from Duval Street, making for a leisurely walk to Key West restaurants, nightlife, and attractions. Our stylish, boutique hotel has 48 guest rooms located within three former historic estate properties, two in the Victorian, Queen Anne architectural style; the Peter H. Hanlon house, built in 1905, and the George L. Lowe house erected in 1891. They stand on an acre of tropical gardens which includes a large, heated pool and many comfortable lounging areas. A third former estate property, the Maloney House, was built in 1884. Whether you seek sun, solitude, or a gathering spot for friends, Chelsea House Hotel offers a perfect spot for your next Key West vacation. Continental breakfast is included with all guest stays. Guest parking is available on-site. Historic architecture & modern rooms. Free continental breakfast. Free internet. Upscale eco-friendly bathroom amenities. Large pool. Boutique hotel. Walk to Duval Street and the waterfront. Located in the heart of Old Town, Key West. Charming and romantic, where modern style & comfort meets relaxed Key West vibe at the Chelsea House Hotel. Self parking onsite for 10 USD/day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Chelsea House Hotel in Key West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chelsea House Pool And Gardens
- Chelsea House Pool & Gardens Hotel Key West