“If just being old classifies as historic...”

Chelsea House Hotel in Key West
Ranked #39 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Chicago
“If just being old classifies as historic...”
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I have to preface this by saying that I am not a picky person, and I don't expect every hotel to be the Ritz, especially at lower price points, but I do expect common courtesy and truth in advertising.

Let me start by saying that the hotel needs a meeting with their employee's on how to treat guests. The check in put me off at the start. I show up to have the guy behind the counter act as if I was inconveniencing him by checking in. Try greeting your guests by at least welcoming them. He gave me a poor explanation of the hotel, other than to say it would be an extra $10 for every hour past checkout if I was late and a drama queen attitude.

Here's the lowdown. If you take photos at the right angles, you can make any place look great. The only think historic about this place was the exterior. They have taken every public room away, chopped it up, and jambed in as many hotel rooms as possible into every sqaure inch. There is and entrance hall and stair with two chairs, and that's it. I got a 'superior' queen room. It was superior to sleeping in my car, yes. It had a balcony overlooking the parking lot, some renovations that looked to be done by a handy man and a few trips to Home Depot. It was dark, depressing, small and just dank. It had a shower that was 30" square with those plastic Home Depot shower walls. The mattress was old. It had no safe and a window a/c that was loud enough to keep you up. Yes, they put a cheap, empty, mini fridge in and a 19" flat screen and act as if it's renovated. On the positive side, the room was clean. Congrats to the cleaning staff. I had hoped to stay two night for a romantic weekend. I didn't even take the bags out of the car. It killed any romance.

The best was two pool towels they put out with a sign saying that if you want to keep one, they'll bill you $20. Who would ever want to take their $1.50 towel from Target home with them I thought? The pool is a rectangle in shade, nothing more. It is servicable, but not inviting. For $159 night in June, they really have to be kidding. There are better places all around this one. Breakfast is basic 'continental'.

When voicing my displeasure, instead of getting any kind of apology, all I got was more attitude. If your in college and are packing a few guys in to crash during fantasy fest, that's one thing. If you are looking for a nice romantic place, don't be fooled. It's post WW2 housing at best. Sorry, but historic or renovated it is not.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank realbri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Colorado Springs, co
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I wish I could be more positive in my review but after staying here for a week I found this place to mostly dissapointing based on the price and overall lack of charm for on "historic inn". The positives...great location a block away from the classier end of duval street, the small pool and gardens were nice. The negatives...our room was in the cottages which are not historic at all and not kept up (peeling paint, old mattress & linens. We did stay in one of the smaller rooms but wow what it ever small if I had to say it was maybe 10 x 9. The breakfast was lame for the price of the place. I was hoping for a more charming experience but we found it to be just OK.

• Liked — location & pool
  • Disliked — room size and comfort
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MoonlightGrahams
ft. lauderdale, fl
Reviewed April 17, 2007

Chelsea House was perfect for our wedding. We got married and honeymooned there for a week.

Located more towards the Atlantic side of the island right off of US1. Just two blocks away from Duval. I suggest renting a bicycle to get around, otherwise, it is a lot of walking if you need to get to the other side several times or multiple times in a day for sunset sails, dry tortugas, the main bars, etc..There is a CVS just up the road and two bike rental places. They also have good parking.

We stayed in the Conch Suite. It was very nice and very Key West. Great, not cheesey decor, wood floors, great patio area, lots of drawers and closet space. The bathroom was updated but tiny with a hairdryer. Needed more shelves for toiletries. This may be weird to say but I also didn't know that such cheap toilet paper existed.

Our favorite spot was the beautiful, mid-size pool area with a upper level sundeck. Covered seating area was available and we used it often since we could not pick up the wireless internet signal from our room.

Our room was always cleaned with fresh towels and the housekeeping staff was great.

The front desk staff was ok. They were not good about booking our Dry Tortugas trip and had promised us a special surprise in our room when we booked since it was our wedding/honeymoon but there was nothing...not the end of the world either. We just took care of booking our own activities and it went great.

Our family members that were there stayed at both the Key Lime Inn and the Merlin Guest house. The Key Lime was cute, small, and good if
you didn't want to spend as much, however, there were roaches on the last day our parents stayed..yuck. The Merlin suite was nice with
an elevated bed with fabric streaming from the posts. Both had pools.

We would definitely consider staying there again but would also look for other similar type places to try out.

• Liked — Pool and room.
  • Disliked — Front desk and tiny bathroom with no shelves
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank hibiscusflwr
massachusetts
Reviewed April 11, 2007

My husband and I have been to Keywest four times. We have stayed at various bed and breakfast inns,including the heron house. We booked this sight unseen,The juiner king suite we rented was a steal for the price. We had our own private balcony, a huge kitchen, sitting area, and beautiful tropical decor! The service was outstanding! I needed extra hangers they were delivered in 3 minutes. Everything was clean, great maid service as well. The pool area was quiet and relaxing this hotel also su pplies floats for their beautiful and well maintaned pool area. I have nothing but great things to say about The Chelsea House. The location is great no car needed. I would suggest walking down to the club duval beach club.This is the best beach area by far, they even wait on you on the beach! Great food too!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — there were no dislikes
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skyy7
Montreal
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Stayed Valentine's night 2006. This is a very quaint/quiet Historical Inn. However I did find the price a bit high ($219 on a Wednesday night). Beware, no kids allowed here. We were traveling with young 8 month old and were not told about it in advance. We got there to our surprise, they do not allow kids. They let it slide for us because it was a young infant and it was for 1 night only.

• Stayed February 2007
3 Thank Daniel P
UK
Reviewed February 10, 2007

Stayed here 31st Jan & 1st Feb 2007.

Very clean quaint hotel. Staff very helpful and friendly and nice continental breakfast. Nice pool and gardens.

Room fairly small and very clean and all non smoking, we stayed in number 16 so could sit right outside the door.

Bed slightly soft for us and no wardrobe. As we only stayed two nights, this didn't cause us a problem, probably would have done if we had stayed any longer.

Near enough to the nightlife (Duval Street and Mallory Square) but far enough away to get peace and quiet.

Would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Soft bed
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shazra
new york, ny
Reviewed February 6, 2007

Typical KW guesthouse atmosphere. Good location.

• Stayed February 2007