“Excited about my upcoming Labor Day weekend stay!”

Chelsea House Hotel in Key West
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Miami Lakes, Florida
“Excited about my upcoming Labor Day weekend stay!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I've stayed here before and I loved it! This place is centrally located, the breakfast is great and the staff is very courteous. I'm looking forward to my Labor Day weekend with my boyfriend and dogs!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lisset c
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hi Lisset,

We're excited about your upcoming visit too! It's always such a pleasure to see repeat guests staying with us. See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Although the staff at the Chelsea House were extremely friendly and accommodating, especially Lynnea, who really was wonderful, I don't think I can wholeheartedly endorse this hotel for other like minded travelers. I thought I was going to be staying in a restored, historic inn with character and modern amenities. I was extremely disappointed when I was shown to my standard, queen room. It was smaller than many tiny rooms I have stayed in in Europe. Then, I expected basic accommodations as the room and hotel was not a priority. In a Key West, I wanted to spend some time relaxing in the room, on the hotel grounds, and by the pool. This room was fit only for sleeping and was not in good condition. The carpet was dirty and who uses carpet in a tropical climate? The walls needed fresh paint and the bathroom was hardly large enough to be called a room! I did complain about this to the staff and they did give me another room, which upon first glance, was better. It, however, had the same drab paint. It is an institutional green, not a fun, bright green that could work well in Key West. There was no place to put any belongings and the room was not much larger than the first. It appeared to have been quickly and cheaply renovated at some point, but the cutting of corners was obvious. I suggest that the inn hire an interior decorator and make some serious upgrades. I also suggest that these small rooms be converted into larger ones and should not be used for guests at all; they are too small to be comfortable. The grounds are rather sterile; there is really nothing enticing about them. Sadly I found the pool area to be full of smokers, some who smoked cigarette after cigarette. I suggest that the pool area be smoke free so all guests can enjoy it. Finally, the breakfast was terrible! Stale muffins, yogurt, cereal, and bagels were the main offering,

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denver145
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
We have several different types of rooms to choose from at the Chelsea House Pool & Gardens. The smaller economy queen rooms have the lowest price point, so for those who prefer the least expensive price over larger accommodations with more amenities, they're perfect. For guests who prefer more space, we offer other room categories including spacious king rooms and even junior suites that boast separate seating areas and full kitchens. I'd suggest paying a few more dollars for a larger room category instead of the smallest room if spending time in a spacious room is more of a priority to you than having the least expensive room.

All stays include a complimentary continental breakfast for those who wish to partake of it. We offer two types of yogurt, pastries delivered freshly every day from a local bakery, four kinds of breakfast cereals, locally baked bagels also delivered daily, oatmeal, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, toast, muffins, orange juice, milk, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. We are just a couple of blocks away from Denny's and other restaurants that serve hot, cooked breakfasts for guests who wish to start the day with a heavier meal.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff. You're right that Lyenna is an absolute gem, and we love having her as part of our team. As smoking is prohibited inside the buildings, we can't really ask guests to refrain from smoking outdoors. It sounds like there must have been some "chain smokers" staying with us at the time of your visit which is indeed a shame if they lowered your enjoyment of the public spaces. As each year passes, we see fewer smokers which makes a healthier world for all of us. Thank you for being our guests.
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Really can't give this place anymore than an average rating. It was fairly clean and in a decent location but you can do so much better for the same price range. Breakfast nothing special for a bed and breakfast. If we go back to Key West we will not stay here. Glad we only booked one night!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 264
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for posting your review. Whilst some people assume we must be a "Bed and Breakfast" because of our appearance with the guestrooms situated within historic homes, we are not, in fact, a Bed & Breakfast establishment. The Chelsea House is a Historic Key West Inn that offers a nice complimentary continental breakfast for those guests who wish to partake of it. Breakfast offerings include two types of yogurt, croissants delivered freshly every day from a local bakery, assorted breakfast cereals, locally baked bagels also delivered daily, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, toast, fresh fruit, orange juice, milk, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. It's a pretty great spread for a free continental breakfast!
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2014

First impression...HOT. They leave the doors to the Inn open. But, the AC in the rooms worked really well. So, the sweltering Key West heat didn't make it into the rooms. The bed was very comfortable. The location was great and we lucked out with one of the three on location parking spaces.

The big problem was that the bathroom was quite literally crawling with ants. They seemed particularly keen on the bar of soap that the hotel provided. We only stayed one night and didn't bother telling the management though. It didn't have a major impact on our stay because they seemed to remain in the bathroom.

A smaller problem was that the breakfast choices were limited and overall poor in quality. I've had a better continental breakfast at a roadside motel. Not at all what I'd expect from a historic inn.

While there were some people with children in the inn, be aware that there is a clothing optional sun deck that is visible from many of the rooms.

2 Thank claryqueen
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
We're glad that you enjoyed our super comfy beds and the great location of the Chelsea House. We do leave the front door of the main house that leads to the lobby open, simply because when it is closed it looks like the inn itself is closed! When the door is open, it looks welcoming and guests know we are open for business. This time of year in the tropics when we have scattered rain showers, the tiny little "sugar ants" try to sneak indoors. They're particularly attracted to sweets, so when guests have open boxes of cookies, donuts, etc. in the rooms, it's harder to deter them. It's the same in our homes for those of us who live here, which is why everything is better when kept in Tupperware. Thankfully they're small and harmless, and if guests don't have open food throughout their rooms, we rarely see them.
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed her for a couple nights and absolutely loved it!! The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful when we were trying to find good places to eat and visit. Hotel was very clean and had a nice pool area. Very close to Duval St. Check-in and check-out was very fast and easy. We will definitely return :)

1 Thank hollylea
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Chelsea House Pool & Gardens! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Key West.
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is outdated and in need of repair. The shower in our bath had filth between the tiles both nights of our stay. They credited us one night should have credited us both for these unsanitary conditions. Breakfast was poor also not a good value at all unless you don't care about personal hygiene or outdated sub par

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Laurie D
HistoricKeyWestInns, Director of Sales at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hi Laurie,

The bathroom in the room you were in has since been re-grouted and is in tip-top shape. I wish you would have mentioned your displeasure when you were here, as we could have easily moved you to another room. When you subsequently wrote to the property manager after your departure, she did indeed refund you for one of the nights of your stay. Your written response clearly thanks her very much, you stated that you were happy and would definitely return to stay with us again, and in fact you signed off with "Have a Blessed Day!" You can see why we are confused that you turned around and wrote this review, in light of this correspondence.
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2014

First off, if you are not anorexic, and if you have back problems, this place is NOT for you. The shower is the smallest I have ever seen, you can't bend (so ladies forget about shaving) and you can barely turn around and wash your back. It's gross enough staying at this very outdated hotel, let alone having your body touch their nasty shower walls. The tile in the bathroom is absolutely disgusting, I was gagging as I brushed my teeth.. had to close my eyes. We paid $300/night and it was a total waste. The bed is SO hard, I didn't sleep much at all, and went home with back pain. The housekeeping lady (tall african american woman) was so rude, we had BLOOD on a towel she left us and gave us an attitude when we asked her to change it. Front desk staff is very friendly and the location was good. Other than that, a total waste of $.. I should have paid the extra $40/night and stayed at the WESTIN ... never again.

Room Tip: we got a superior queen, and this was a total waste-