“Great Stay!”

Chelsea House Hotel in Key West
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had a wonderful stay in Key West at the Chelsea house. Stayed in room 26, the Forster Room. Room was slightly small but worked for the 4 days we were there. There is so much to do and see in Key West that the only time we spent in the room was to sleep and shower. The staff was extremely helpful, friendly,and accomodating in all aspects of our trip. Our room was clean as was the rest of the house. The location is the greatest, just a few short blocks from Duval almost in the center of the island. They only serve a continental breakfast, which was fine for us as we wanted to explore the island and try all of the wonderful restaurants around us. Our only complaint would be more space for your clothes and a full sized mirror on the wall. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chelsea House Hotel in Key West

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place has everything you need in a hotel. It's not the Waldorf, but that isn't what it's supposed to be about. From a service and amenity standpoint, I would favoribly compare it with a Holiday Inn Express, but with an historic twist. The Chelsea House is actually two historic houses, along with some extra rooms that were added at later dates. The two main houses are ca 1880's and 1905, respectively. We stayed in Room #1 of the 1905 house, which appears to have once been the dining room when it was originally built as a private residence. It still retains all of the history you would expect from the historic house that is it, but comes with nearly all of the modern aspects of a new hotel/motel. In short, it has everything we needed. It features a very comfy bed, new TV with great channel selection, a new and quiet AC, a fully modern bathroom (but, with a style largely in keeping with the historic archetecture) and also...and this is very important when choosing a hotel in KW if you have a car...really good parking lots! None of this was lost on us and we were glad to have all of it. If you want a really good taste of KW and/or Southern FL history, you don't want to miss this place. You certainly won't find any places like this left in Miami and likely not too many in most of the other parts of the Keys. But, fortunately, KW has chosen to retain and retrofit most of their historic buildings and the CH is an excellent example of this. Don't miss it! (Also, I need to add that Bryan and the entire management and staff were very friendly and helpful with all of our needs and questions.)

Room Tip: I would tend to recomend a first floor room to anyone whom might have trouble climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kurt s
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My fiance and I just got from our trip to Key West during Thanksgiving weekend! We had a fantastic weekend and loved staying at Chelsea House. The staff was very nice and helpful. I called on the way down to let them know we were running late and I spoke to Bryan. He was very sweet and walked me though all the steps for the "late check-in" process. As it turned out we made just before he was about to shut everything down for the night. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The room was lovely and very comfortable. The breakfast that was offered by the pool in the morning was great! Plenty of stuff to choose from for a light breakfast to get you going in the morning! Both houses are beautiful and the grounds are very well maintained. Also, private parking which is a big plus to us!! The only complaint I have is that I wish there was more counter space in the bathroom. We made it work, not that big of a deal really.

Thanks so much to the staff at Chelsea House for your hospitality! And, thanks to Bryan for waiting for us to arrive and for all your great suggestions!

We'll be back!!

Thanks for everything,
Julissa & Kurt =)

Room Tip: Room #1 was great! Good size, comfortable bed and the a/c worked great!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julissa R
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were treated to drunken staff, unfriendly management, horrible beds and cheap linens and very bad food. Our Bathroom drain had hair in it and the floor was dirty. For our honeymoon I expected better but was sadly not to find it at Chelsea House. On our last day we came back from breakfast only to find repairmen in our room. Our things were thrown on the bed and they told us they forgot to let us know that they needed the room and we had to get out. Over all a very bad experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Leslie P
HistoricKeyWestInns, Multichannel Marketing Director at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Leslie P,

Thanks for writing your review, although we do not think it belongs to our hotel! We have searched our records from December of last year, when you say you stayed with us, and cannot find any stay for you nor a honeymoon group. We do have records of three happy Wedding groups at Chelsea House, though! You also would never be greeted by a 'drunken staff' nor unfriendly management because our front desk and management staff are hospitality professionals who take great pride in their customer service! Since it has been 11 months since your visit, I believe you are mistaken about the hotel in which you stayed. Thank you, again, for writing and we hope you do choose our Chelsea House on your next trip to Key West!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I travel over 900 miles to get here. I live in Atlanta and can go around the block to find plush accommodations. That's not why I stay at Chelsea House. It's just intimate enough and just private enough. The mansion is over 100 years old, so I don't expect plush. And compare the price to just about any other guesthouse in Old Town. It's a great value. Many of the rooms are unique, even unusual, with lots of character. The management always works with me to make sure I come back, and next year will mark my twentieth annual stay. I can hardly wait

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AtlantaGuy489
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great hotel and staff! The location was perfect, 5 minute walk to Duvalstreet, 10 minute walk to South Beach. Staff was very helpfull. Bryan, thanks so much for your help!

Rooms are clean, not very spacious, but enough space for 2 people. We had a superior economy room. Nice balcony.

Nice pool! I would definitly stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fhayda W
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location of this B&B is reasonably convenient - close to Duval Street, but not right in the middle of the noise and drunk people. Free parking was available in the lot adjacent to the hotel, and street parking was also pretty easy to find when we stayed, which was nice.

This is a charming old house, meaning there are some wear and tear on the building but not run-down. My friend and I stayed in their cheapest available room which was on the top floor attic facing a modest sun deck. The stairs up to the room were narrow and steep, and made squeaky noise. The room was clean but small - a queen size bed took most of the room and there wasn't enough space to comfortably sit and relax. We decided this was acceptable because we weren't spending a lot of time in the room anyway. The bathroom was very small and the AC in the room was loud.

Breakfast was pretty basic consisting of bagel, toast, variety of packaged cereal and yogurt, coffee, milk, orange juice etc... nothing warm or cooked, which was a little disappointing from this kind of B&B, but the hotel website did say continental breakfast, so I should not have raised my expectation too high.

The pool was in the garden right next to the breakfast bar, and was quite lovely. It would have been nice to float in it and relax in the shade in a hot afternoon. We didn't get to fully utilize this nice pool, which we regret.

Overall, this place was not too bad, however I gave 3 stars because it was not going above the expectation for the price. If I return to Key West, I will consider this place as well as I do other places.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple