New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Chelsea House Hotel in Key West

Chelsea House Hotel in Key West
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Key West
Atlanta
“Charming + Key West = Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I travel over 900 miles to get here. I live in Atlanta and can go around the block to find plush accommodations. That's not why I stay at Chelsea House. It's just intimate enough and just private enough. The mansion is over 100 years old, so I don't expect plush. And compare the price to just about any other guesthouse in Old Town. It's a great value. Many of the rooms are unique, even unusual, with lots of character. The management always works with me to make sure I come back, and next year will mark my twentieth annual stay. I can hardly wait

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AtlantaGuy489

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great hotel and staff! The location was perfect, 5 minute walk to Duvalstreet, 10 minute walk to South Beach. Staff was very helpfull. Bryan, thanks so much for your help!

Rooms are clean, not very spacious, but enough space for 2 people. We had a superior economy room. Nice balcony.

Nice pool! I would definitly stay here again!

1 Thank Fhayda W
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location of this B&B is reasonably convenient - close to Duval Street, but not right in the middle of the noise and drunk people. Free parking was available in the lot adjacent to the hotel, and street parking was also pretty easy to find when we stayed, which was nice.

This is a charming old house, meaning there are some wear and tear on the building but not run-down. My friend and I stayed in their cheapest available room which was on the top floor attic facing a modest sun deck. The stairs up to the room were narrow and steep, and made squeaky noise. The room was clean but small - a queen size bed took most of the room and there wasn't enough space to comfortably sit and relax. We decided this was acceptable because we weren't spending a lot of time in the room anyway. The bathroom was very small and the AC in the room was loud.

Breakfast was pretty basic consisting of bagel, toast, variety of packaged cereal and yogurt, coffee, milk, orange juice etc... nothing warm or cooked, which was a little disappointing from this kind of B&B, but the hotel website did say continental breakfast, so I should not have raised my expectation too high.

The pool was in the garden right next to the breakfast bar, and was quite lovely. It would have been nice to float in it and relax in the shade in a hot afternoon. We didn't get to fully utilize this nice pool, which we regret.

Overall, this place was not too bad, however I gave 3 stars because it was not going above the expectation for the price. If I return to Key West, I will consider this place as well as I do other places.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank makster
West Chester, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

A nice property on the surface, but lacking in many details. Our room was very spacious, but the door to the bathroom was done over with cheap luan plywood...unpainted with shabby knobs and poorly fitting doors. There was no attempt at decorating a very promising room. Toilet paper was that annoyingly thin stuff. No glasses, even on request from the desk...just flimsy plastic cups one would find at a Travel Lodge. A decent breakfast layout ...no banana's, just apples and oranges.

Very helpful, apologetic staff. We were disappointed.

Room Tip: See it first.
    • 2 of 5 stars
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I and ten of our friends recently stayed at the Chelsea House. The staff was so accomodating, friendly and they went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The room was cozy, clean and quaint. The house is historic so don't expect anything lavish but that's one of the qualities we liked the most about it, it's character. We had a shared balcony with another couple, which was perfect! The pool and surroundings are beautiful...very tropical and peaceful. The House is conveniently located 2 blocks from Duval and close to the southernmost point. We rented scooters from Scooter Hospital, which is a block away, so we could travel around the island. They have free parking on the premises for one car per room. The breakfast is your typical coffee, OJ, boxed cereals, muffins and bagels (don't miss breakfast at Blue Heaven!!!!). The price was more than reasonable for the accomodations in comparison to many of the places in Key West. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request room 24 or 25.
Laguna Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Chelsea House was fantastic, especially the handsome and helpful lad at the office, Bryan from Ireland. He was so accomodating, knowledgeable about Key West and made me feel like I was staying at his family's house instead of a B&B. The bed was comfy and clean, staff was super friendly and it's a perfect distance between the madness of Duval and the peace of the more residential part of Truman.

Room Tip: #13 is a perfect snuggly one bedroom. Rent a scooter!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Delray Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Chelsea over the years for periods of one, two and three days at a time as I recall. It is nicely located and the staff is simply excellent, but this is not what this review is about. The place is showing it age and needs serious upgrading, by the way, which I was told by staff is now underway. Our recent stay we could not use the shower. The staff happily moved us to another room at the same rate which was a much better room with a nice large shower. The breakfast is also outdated and is not up and ready until 8 AM. This is sort'a ridiculous. Several guests, including my wife and I, paced around waiting for the food and coffee to be ready since we arise much earlier no matter how late we stay out. We really want our coffee earlier than 8AM. That said, the quality of the breakfast food situation begins with those little bagels that are bagels in name only. They are simply terrible. They look like little donougts, only plain as plain can be. The orange juice is iced and so becomes watery. The muffins are quite small and at best are only in the fair category ranging from bad to excellent. The coffee and teas are nice as is the staff manning the breakfast area. The fresh fruit choice was quite simple .... apples and a few oranges and that was it. The toaster seemed out of repair but did warm up whatever was put in it. There in no sausage, bacon, eggs and there are some cereal choices. Overall I doubt we stay there anymore which is sad, but if they get it brought up to modern day standards we will go back. We walk to Hemingway Home and a lot of other locations on Duval St. The parking is good and pool is fine and the TV's are fine, but otherwise my wife and I hope they get fixed up soon so we will have the confidence to go back.

Room Tip: Request room #20
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Frank S
HistoricKeyWestInns, Multichannel Marketing Director at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear BullseyeJupiter,

Thanks, so much, for writing and also for staying with us several times. We agree about the breakfast choices and are adding new and delicious options for your next visit, although it won't be sausages, bacon or eggs because we want to promote healthier choices. We, like you, love the historic charm and architecture of the Chelsea House and we are adding fresh and modern amenities to the rooms to create our rustic-modern asthetic. It is very exciting and we'll look forward to your next visit! Thanks, again, for writing.