“Sort'a Disappointing”

Chelsea House Hotel in Key West
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Chelsea over the years for periods of one, two and three days at a time as I recall. It is nicely located and the staff is simply excellent, but this is not what this review is about. The place is showing it age and needs serious upgrading, by the way, which I was told by staff is now underway. Our recent stay we could not use the shower. The staff happily moved us to another room at the same rate which was a much better room with a nice large shower. The breakfast is also outdated and is not up and ready until 8 AM. This is sort'a ridiculous. Several guests, including my wife and I, paced around waiting for the food and coffee to be ready since we arise much earlier no matter how late we stay out. We really want our coffee earlier than 8AM. That said, the quality of the breakfast food situation begins with those little bagels that are bagels in name only. They are simply terrible. They look like little donougts, only plain as plain can be. The orange juice is iced and so becomes watery. The muffins are quite small and at best are only in the fair category ranging from bad to excellent. The coffee and teas are nice as is the staff manning the breakfast area. The fresh fruit choice was quite simple .... apples and a few oranges and that was it. The toaster seemed out of repair but did warm up whatever was put in it. There in no sausage, bacon, eggs and there are some cereal choices. Overall I doubt we stay there anymore which is sad, but if they get it brought up to modern day standards we will go back. We walk to Hemingway Home and a lot of other locations on Duval St. The parking is good and pool is fine and the TV's are fine, but otherwise my wife and I hope they get fixed up soon so we will have the confidence to go back.

Room Tip: Request room #20
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Frank S
HistoricKeyWestInns, Multichannel Marketing Director at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear BullseyeJupiter,

Thanks, so much, for writing and also for staying with us several times. We agree about the breakfast choices and are adding new and delicious options for your next visit, although it won't be sausages, bacon or eggs because we want to promote healthier choices. We, like you, love the historic charm and architecture of the Chelsea House and we are adding fresh and modern amenities to the rooms to create our rustic-modern asthetic. It is very exciting and we'll look forward to your next visit! Thanks, again, for writing.

There are newer reviews for Chelsea House Hotel in Key West

Reviewed August 18, 2012

this was my second time to Key West this year and stayed both times at the Chelsea... it's located 2 blocks from Duval St.... on Truman ... just enough away from the very active Duval to be peaceful but close enough when I wanted to shop and see the sites..... the Hemingway House is very close and the Lighthouse .... anyway.... it's not the Ritz but it's well kept and cozy and clean.
there's a nice pool and employees were very nice and helpful...I'd stay there again...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
HistoricKeyWestInns, Public Relations Manager at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear Carol D,
We are honored that you chose the Chelsea House Pool & Gardens for both of your visits to Key West this year. Thank you! Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here during the Hemingway days. The location is excellent. Only a few minutes to Duval St. I walked to Sloppy Joes in only 20 minutes! CVS right across the street. They had plenty of staff, Clean rooms, nice pool, and even gave me a free upgrade. Price way less than other b and b's and well worth it. Can't wait to stay there again.

Room Tip: Upstairs offers views of the pool or the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank robert m

We can't wait for you to stay here again too, Robert! We have a spacious parking lot on-site, but you're right that one of the greatest advantages of this hotel is that you are a short stroll from all of Key West's most popular attractions. The Hemingway Days were great again this year! Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My son and I enjoyed our time there. The staff especially the front desk were extremely helpful and guided us to great spots around town, The free breakfast spared us some money in an expensive town, If we do come back, we will stay at the Chelsea house again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Keith P

Hi Keith,

We're so glad to hear that you and your son enjoyed your visit to the Chelsea House Hotel. Our front desk agents have a wealth of knowledge about things to do and places to go, don't they? Their aim is to make every guest's experience as wonderful as possible. We look forward to seeing you here again in beautiful Old Town, Key West!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My fiance and I only needed to stay for night and this was the cheapest I found.

First off, I can't exactly dwell on how 'dated' everything was because it is in the historic district, and frankly it's an old house so I should've known better...however; the pictures made the room look very modern and up to date. That was not the case. The cons of this place were the tiny bugs that were EVERYWHERE, the bathroom was so small my knees basically touched the wall to use to the toilet and I'm not that tall, I saw strands of hair in the bathroom; on the shampoo bottle, and on the pillow. The towels in the bathroom had stains on them, and not to mention the air conditioner...OH MY GOSH, can you say rattling? Loud? Obnoxious? Couldn't sleep because it was so loud in our ears?! Another disappointment was the time of the breakfast, starts at 8am? We had to leave by 7:30am. Thought it was a tad late for many people who get up around 5-6am. The lady at check-in was very sweet, and said she upgraded our room to one that had a fridge in it. Not that it was that big of a deal. But the tile outside of our room which was #7 was loose, the hallway to go downstairs was so tight we had to turn sideways. There was little step up or step down all about the room/bathroom. The walls were broken and wearing away. The door was smaller than the doorway so you could see outside, or inside? We never made it to the pool because of our short visit. Everything just felt cramped and crowded, the room didn't flow everything was kind of placed around. The mirror they had located near the door was only tall enough for me to see my neck to my waist. There was no closet, the safe was on the floor. Just wasn't the best for what we paid. I'd say this is a $80 or less a night...

If you can handle all of this, then sure it wasn't that bad. But I WOULDN'T go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank LostMemories
HistoricKeyWestInns, Multichannel Marketing Director at Chelsea House Hotel in Key West, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear Courtney _b,

Thank you for your review! The Chelsea is definitely a beautiful, old and historic house that we have updated with a fresh, modern decor and finishes, what we call rustic-modern. We have found that most people are out on the town late into the evening and don't get up earlier than 8:30, so we have decided to serve a half hour before. Most guests in Key West are just getting to bed at 5 am, you were definitely in front of the curve on that one! You would have had a great time at the pool too. Thanks again for writing.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had a great experience here! Our room # 31 was charming and spacious! Front desk service is excellent! The location is very close to Durval St. They are kids and pet friendly. Our family will come back again!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank GoodLifeWorthLiving
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is very well located in Key West. Walking distance to most of the local area. Only problem was our room was an attic room which was very small with a very low ceiling. Room safe was in an impossible position to be of any use. Bathroom was tiny and difficult to move in. Hotel was clean but the internal staircase to our room seemed a little unsteady. Breakfast in the pool area was basic but adequate for us. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If allocation an attic room would be asking to be moved.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple