“A quaint B&B with the best location ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Courtney's Place
Ranked #39 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Franklin, TN
“A quaint B&B with the best location ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2005

My finace and I stayed here recently and we loved it! You couldn't ask for a better location. It's so close to Duval St, only about a block away. So the bike ride, or stumble back isn't bad at night. But for the close location this bed and breakfast is set in a very quiet area. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast and eating outside by the pool and the beautiful vegetation. We stayed in the smallest cottage for a mere $79 a night (off-season) and had every ammenity we needed. And our bed was very comfortable and the bed sheets fit fine ( replying back to a prior user review) Honestly, how much are you in the room anyway? Not much if you are out enjoying Key West like you should be! If you are looking to sleep at the Ritz and wanting a gourmet breakfast you won't be happy here. But if you are looking for a true Key West B&B that represents how Key West used to be, to feel like a native in these quaint conch cottages, and enjoy a convenient location to explore Old Town, you will not be disappointed staying at Courtney's. We are returning here for our honeymoon this September 2005 -- what more can I say! We can't wait to revisit Key West!

• Stayed May 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank KeysBride

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Finnish first
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2005

My family and I stayed here in December of 2004. It's only a decent place. It's not nearly as nice as most of the other hotels and bed/breakfasts where I've stayed. The other reviewer was right - the sheets don't fit. It's annoying. While this may not bother everyone, I'm paying for a vacation room. It should have properly fitting sheets that are nice and comfy. These were not. No central a/c in our room. It had a window unit that did not work. Luckily it was cool during our stay, but I would NOT stay here if the temperature was above 80 degrees. It would be incredibly uncomfortable. The breakfast was laughable and almost gross. It consisted of Little Debbie snackcakes, frozen english muffins, frozen bagels, frozen sausage biscuits, and other unfresh items. I expected standard b & b fare - croissants, fresh fruit, fresh muffins, ect. This wasn't anything like that. The rooms are just ok. I think housekeeping was totally lax as the floors don't get swept each day as they should. The bathrooms are small and just icky, not nice at all. The pool is the size of a large hot tub. Good things - wonderful location. It's very close to Duval Street located in a safe, interesting neighborhood. The other motel patrons were friendly. Parking was available when we were there. (Be forewarned, there are times when there's NO parking. It's a major pain the in the butt, because street parking is by residential permit only.) Overall, my experience was less than ok. My home is much, much cleaner than my room was. I would never eat the breakfast food otherwise. You could find a nicer place in Key West for the same price or less. I wouldn't stay here again, and I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

• Stayed January 2005
9 Thank Denver_Dog
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2004

We did extensive research on Tripadvisor and other sources before booking our accomodations in Key West for two nights in late December 2004, and I am sorry to say Courtney's Place was the wrong decision for us. We stayed in Cottage 16, which does indeed look very much like the photo on their website.

The biggest CON was the service. We saw the same woman in the office every time we went in, and it seemed to be a huge burden to her to talk to us. We had to rouse her from her book to check in (we called two days ahead to arrange an early check-in time but she had no record of this exchange) and every interaction was about the same from there on out. First she overcharged us for the number of people in the cottage, and we had to go back and get that corrected after going over the bill. I recall from other user reviews that folks found the service here “friendly??” I watched her interactions with other guests and it seems everyone got the same cold shoulder.

AIR CONDITIONING DIDN’T WORK. One of the main reasons we booked here was a guarantee of central air conditioning instead of window units. Good thing Key West experienced a cold front our first night there, because the afternoon we arrived, we turned the thermostat down but nothing happened except the cottage got hotter and hotter throughout the day.

Breakfast was laughable. All the items were pre-packaged, and there weren’t many of them. The only fresh items were hard-boiled eggs. There was no sugar for the coffee.

Minor item, but when you have lots of them coupled with service that is borderline mean, they do add up – the sheets did not fit the beds. Both beds were thick mattresses that the fitted sheet didn’t even make it halfway around, and in both beds the sheets came off the bed by the middle of the night, both nights.

I will say the location is excellent, very convenient walking to most KW attractions, and although we were only two blocks from Duval (AND sleeping with the windows open, thanks to the broken a/c) it was still relatively quiet. Also the cottage was clean. The bike rental on premises was also very convenient.

The place we ALMOST stayed but didn’t was the Frances Street Bottle Inn, and I rode my bike past it one day and gave it a good look – wish we’d stayed there. It looked really nice, not run-down like Courtney’s Place.

Overall Courtney’s Place is probably fine if you’re in Key West to get blindingly drunk in the bars every night, but otherwise the hung-over attitude is a bit distasteful.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank GreenVelvet
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2004

My husband, 14 year old daughter, and I stayed 3 nights at Courtney's Place in cottage 5. Nice and private, upstairs loft with cable tv for my daughter which was perfect. Overall, it was a nice experience. Good location, close to everything. Regardless, just be ready to walk!!! Parking at Courtney's Place wasn't easy, but we always managed to get a spot. It's just really difficult with a Dodge Ram Quad Cab! If you have a small car, I would suggest that you drive it to Key West (if you're driving) because the lane is very narrow and the parking spaces are not very big. We only moved our truck one time to go on a do-it-all water sports excursion. We never did eat breakfast, so I can't comment on that. We paid an extra $20 a night for my daughter due to the free breakfast, so I feel we wasted that $60 since we never did eat, but that was our choice. The towels weren't sparkly white and clean like we like them to be. But requests made of the office for soap and extra towels were resolved fairly quickly. There were several cats around the property. They won't bother you though, but they do make themselves at home, on tables around the premises, etc... We did observe cats on the table where you can sit and eat breakfast. If you don't like cats, you will have a problem no matter where you go in Key West because they are everywhere, at least in Old Town. The pool isn't as big as the picture makes it seems. If 10 people get in there all at once, it's full! But, overall, a nice experience.

7 Thank bayou babe
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2004

We stayed in cottage suite 14 in January of 2004 and found the suite to be very comfortable for all four guests. The kitchen was stocked with everything we could possibly need and the staff was friendly and incredibly helpful. I liked the location the best, 1/2 way between Duval Street and Fort Taylor Beach.

4 Thank BargainBeachHunter
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2004

very friendly,and our puppies was welcomed too, highly recommened ,simply the best in key west!! hope to visit again soon

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2004

Courtney's Place is EXACTLY where I wanted to be for my 50th birthday! Our cottage was great....clean, quiet, & roomy. The pool was relaxing.....breakfast was great....lazy, carefree cats added to the atmosphere....and we woke up every morning to roosters crowing! You can't beat the location....within walking distance of everything....Hemingway's Home, Duvall Street, the Harbor....and of course the public library. For sure....when visiting Key West again....Courtney's is the place to stay!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member