“Great Place, not exactly in Key West”
Review of Kaya Island Eats - CLOSED

Kaya Island Eats
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were looking for a lunch place between Marathon and Key West, but it was the Friday of the Key West Poker Run. Most of the TripAdvisor recommended places along the road were either filled with bikers, closed for vacation, or whatever.

TripAdvisor has a "near me now" mobile option, and suggested Kaya Island Eats. We were still 15 miles from Key West, so their address confused us. We called them, and they told us where they were located, so we were able to find it easily. It is not in Key West, but 15 miles before then. The manager said they are the very first address with a Key West zip code, and TA required them to use the city associated to their zip.

We were very pleased with our lunches. I had the roasted tomato soup and it was divine! A friend and I had grilled grouper sandwiches, and our husbands enjoyed lunch specials of grilled chicken over pasta, or shrimp kebabs. They were not very crowded, probably due to the poker run. The interior is very nice, and since they were not crowded, we got to look at all the different table tops. They are wrapped with large, colorful photos of sea life. Gorgeous!

Will definitely consider stopping here again on our next visit to the Keys.

4  Thank BamaRowersMom

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We live in Key West and this restaurant is so good, we actually cross the bridge and drive to MM 15 (Its not in Key West proper, its on Saddle Bunch Key) . Its one of the few restaurants with a beautiful water view and the interior is decorated with fun island touches. Owner grew up in Hawaii and food incorporates island touches such as sweet Hawaiian bread rolls, soy ginger marinades, tuna poke appetizer, etc. Heard about restaurant from several friends, finally tried it in June for our anniversary. Loved it so much, we make it a regular on our restaurant rotation. On our latest trip, my shrimp curry was prepared to perfection, my husband and his mom both had the dolphin fish and chips special and both raved about the fish. On other visits, had the calamari appetizer which was delicious, especially paired with the sauces (cilantro lime aioli and thai peanut sauce); coconut macadamia nut fish special - amazing; south pacific skirt steak which is one of the best skirt steaks ever according to my husband; island style roast pork - large portion, very good and the rasta pasta with shrimp - delicious, very rich.
Only disappointing dish was on a lunch visit where my husband's hamburger was just average, especially for the $12 and fries were nothing special. Service is always prompt, friendly and attentive.

2  Thank TheLostTourist
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I travel to Key West from Fort Lauderdale once a month and always like to find a new place for lunch or dinner. I had heard about Kaya Island Eats from locals in Key West and gave it a try for dinner. My friend and I both thought the food was very good and service excellent. I love trying Key Lime Pies everywhere I stop and this was one of the best Key Lime Pies. I thought the menu was limited but again the food was very good. It's a very comfortable and casual restaurant about 15 miles from Key West.

2  Thank travelingal49
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I totally enjoyed my meal. My husband on the other hand was a tad disappointed being a steak guy that probably wasn't a good move in a seafood place. The owner is great and the staff attentive. The atmosphere is a little off. Wrong type music and the sound quality disappointing. But the food was good a tad pricey but overall I was quite satisfied with my visit and I'd certainly go again.

1  Thank Frances W
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I can't believe that actually somebody wrote a bad review. It was very good the food was unbelievable. I had the snapper with asparagus and a tangy butter sauce. Wife had a burger also very good.

2  Thank 321KG