“Not that impressed”

Hyatt Windward Pointe
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here thanks to my in-laws who own a timeshare here but could not make it so they offered it to us. I have also stayed at Wyndham timeshares so I am comparing this place to Wyndham. For the amount of money my in-laws pay I expected better. Things that I liked include the beautiful grounds, perfect temperature pool, the size of the room, comfortable beds, nice balcony with a telescope, and a well equipped kitchen. It is also away from the hustle and bustle of 'downtown. Publix is super close as well. I disliked the furnishing, the pull out sofa was uncomfortable ( to sit on and sleep on ), the throw pillows were dirty and worn, there are tiny white spider type bugs which I suspect were the culprits of my itching during the night. Housekeeping came everyday, but we're very random. We left all our pool towels out to be taken. They gave is new ones, but never took the dirty ones. By the end of the week we had 20 I swear. There was no vacuuming, the garbage was changed every other day. There was no rhyme or reason to the towel changes. Someways we would have fresh washcloths and nothing else, other days we would just have fresh towels. The TV channell lost was wrong. We asked if they had an updated list and were told they were working on it. Wi Fi sucked. Which was a bummer for me as I had some deadlines to make and connecting could take minutes to hours. Oh, and moldy bathroom- see the pics. I couldn't hear planes from my room, but the sewer smell from Smathers beach sucked!

• Stayed: July 2012
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Windward Pointe

Reviewed July 7, 2012

The location is great, away from the crowds. Airport noise Is a non factor. Actually, my kids enjoyed watching the planes. Check in was seamless. We are Marriott vacatin club/ destination points owners and wanted to give Hyatt a try.

Pros; furnishings here are very nice, better bathroom amenities , small touches which Marriott lacks. For example baskets on bathroom and kitchen holding amenities. Pool is not overcrowded and dirty looking like many Marriott properties. Patio is huge with a nice round table and ceiling fan. Telescope in the room which we put out on patio was a big hit with kids.

Cons: no duvets, second bedroom has only one queen bed. Air conditioner was ver loud and did not shut off very often. Air was directly towards bed. The bed itself was not great, when my husband got in, there was a loud noise , no give in mattress. In the morning when people above us used shower, we heard dripping noises.
Overall, beautifully landscaped and very relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank MHD4
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The two bedrooms unit was great but the housekeeper never made the beds. The bathrooms were beautiful but there was mold for not properly cleaning them. Great view from the balcony but the closest beach (10 minutes away walking) stink. At the beach there was a terrible smell probably from the seaweed accumulated at the shore. The hotel is far away from the center of action in Key West, the Old Town, therefore you would need transportatiom. The hotel has a shuttle but they charge $5 per person each way to any place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had two bedroom condo. Nice rooms no room service. Barely got towels everyday. Nice pool and hot tub. My key didn't work at twelve midnight and no one on staff to fix it. I would stay somewhere else

Room Tip: There is a snack shack at pool but wasn't open!,
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank drew0911
Reviewed June 21, 2012

3 calls to maintenance in the first hour
Broken stove burners, missing oven grate, broken phone. But wait it gets better. No water pressure, no temp control in shower, 5 minute wait for the water to get hot. So let's make the best of a rainy week, we'll go down to the volleyball court. Half inflated volleyball at the front desk with no ball pin to inflate and two requests and an hour wait before finally giving up on maintenance to rake the puddles out.
Don't even think that the international airport at back of the resort and the main island highway at the front add to the ambiance of this tropical Paradise

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Hwlsuper
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We love Key West! This hotel is a great option, especially if you're traveling with family, as we were. The 2br unit was great for our needs. The landscaping added much value to our stay, as well as the beautiful ocean views that are easily visible from the pool area and somewhat visible from the balcony depending on which unit you're staying in. Overall, I would stay at Windward Pointe again.

Location:
The property is about 10-15 minute drive to Duvall Street. Although we had a car, I saw many people on bikes and scooters, which could also work if you're not traveling with young ones as we were. The ocean is right across the street after a barrier wall. Getting across the street was not bad, as the road is moderately busy.

Smathers beach is about 3/4 mile away, but driving past the beach, we noticed a foul odor each day that only lasted the length of the beach. We stopped just to take a look at the beach and could not stay for long because of the bad smell. There were plenty of people out there, but I'm not sure how they could enjoy themselves with such a bad odor that would not go away.

There is an airport right next door to the hotel. We didn't spend all day at the hotel, and so the airport noise didn't bug us. We arrived on Monday and left on Friday, and it seemed like the airport got busier as the weekend approached. Bottom line: being close to the airport did not hinder our stay. However if you plan to do yoga or meditate on your balcony or in the courtyard, this might not be the best place for that.

Although the hotel didn't have a real restaurant, there are Italian and Japanese restaurants right next door.

Service:
The front desk staff was nice. Its a timeshare property and they give you a temporary parking pass when you check in and tell you to come back the next day for the permanent pass and "great discounts" on area attractions. That was annoying, but we simply picked up the pass the next day without the sales pitch. Other than one phone call to the room asking if we wanted to tour the property, that was the end of the timeshare push.

Housekeeping was OK. The first night, they came in and only remade the beds. We decided that we would skip housekeeping for the rest of the week since having them come into the room didn't seem to add much value. Luckily, the room was clean (not spotless) which made it comfortable for us to enjoy our stay.

Room:
The room was as expected. Not much of a view from the master suite, although the balcony off the living room made up for that. The bathroom was great with a huge tub. I would have liked the 2nd bedroom to have a few more perks, but it was OK for our guest traveling with us. The kitchen was fully stocked, but there was no oven, only a microwave with convection. This made baking awkward.

Property:
The appeal of this property is the landscaping and ocean view. It is beautifully landscaped, almost like traveling to an island further south in the Caribbean. You can sit in the pool and view the ocean, or sit in their hammock or swing and enjoy the view.

The pool and hot tub were also great. Large pool with plenty of seating with shade.

Overall:
Very nice stay in Key West. Especially recommend for those traveling with family.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank stevenssn
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I booked a 2 bedroom/2 bath at the Hyatt for 3 days. The resort landscape was amazing! The crew work daily, but the noise level didn't bother me. Nor did the airplanes. The 2 bedroom was fully equipped. Alittle far from Duval street, but a bike or moped will do. The beach may look far on the way going to the resort, but its actually walking distance to Smathers Beach.

The only downside was the dirty rooms. I found hair on my pillows in the master suite. Also in the bathrooms. It's as if the maids NEVER change sheets. Would I come again? Yes:)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo