“Home away from home in beautiful Key West~Kid Friendly Place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Windward Pointe

Hyatt Windward Pointe
Ranked #29 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
“Home away from home in beautiful Key West~Kid Friendly Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband was stationed in Key West for 2 years, when he was about to transfer back to New Jersey we decided to bring the kids one last time before he came home. We had friends who stayed here before & loved it so we gave it a try & we're glad we did. This place is really great. PROS: Wonderful staff from front desk to grounds keepers. Friendly & very attentive to our needs (not that there were TOO many:) 2 Bedrooms suites with King bed in master & queen bed in second bedroom. 2 full bathrooms too. Also a full size sofa bed, so you could fit up to 6 people here. The kitchen was really nice with clean appliances, granite countertop, washer/dryer. Our bed was very comfy & clean. The towel birds left on our bed & in the bathroom was a very cute touch. Jacuzzi tub was seperated from the rock tiled shower (nice) and the master bathroom was overall pretty clean.

Outside balcony was a great place to just sit, eat & relax. For the safety of our son, we opted for a ground level unit which was just across from the pool & Abbey Road Snack Shack. With the exception of our 2, we didn't see many kids here so it isn't too much like a resort in Orlando where there's kids running around everywhere. With that said the staff did take time to ensure our children were happy & safe.

Of course there were things I DID NOT care for while staying here. CONS: The master bathroom was open to the room. Now if you're here on a honeymoon or want a sexy lil' bathroom thing going on then this is for you, but personally I didn't like getting out of the shower into a cold airy room & having my nips hard enough to cut glass:) Also I was not crazy about being in such close proximity to the swimming pool & snack shack. The pool was ALWAYS busy and because we were at the end unit closest to the walkway to the pool area we always had people looking over onto our balcony so at times it wasn't very private. The Abbey Road Snack Shack sells little food items, sandwiches, chips and drinks, but I found a few food items for sale that were already expired so please check the dates on everything ESPECIALLY if you're feeding it to your babes.

Lots of room to spread out here, take advantage of all the outdoor spaces.

MILITARY FAMILIES: Use the exchange, MWR & gas up your vehicles over at the base to cut down on expensive Key West costs. Hope you enjoy your stay here...its awesome:)

Room Tip: Unless you REALLY like the pool, try to get a suite away from the busy pool area!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank FlipFlopsR4Me

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Tenafly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Key West is not known for it's beaches or mega resorts. The Hyatt is a lovely property which is not in the midst of the hustle and bustle of downtown Duval Street. It is a beautiful resort and one of the gems of Key West!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank zmagman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We LOVE this place! We are repeat customers of this resort every year. There is not a bad view from any room! When we first researched staying here on Trip Advisor many people seemed to be bothered by the airplane traffic from the nearby Key West airport. Honestly, I don't even think I even noticed any noise during this last trip. The first year we stayed it was so cool laying out by the pool watching the 747's full of Key West tourists arriving to one of the most tropical places in Florida. We enjoyed the fun poolside drinks, guys played shuffle board/ping pong and there are many grills if you want to do a dine in evening. Benihana's is next door and all the Duval Street action is just minutes away from Hyatt Winward Pointe. The hotel is super clean, spacious enough for two couples to share and beds VERY comfy as well. Can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank beckaroo8
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

So... we booked the Windward over the winter through Interval. We were very excited because it's not easy to find a property in Key West that is available for a two week period. WE have always wanted to travel to the Keys and were looking forward to total relaxation. In the past, when I have booked through Interval (mostly Marriot properties), I have called to request a room on the top floor and close to the pool. I have NEVER been disappointed with the way Marriot has treated me. Our request was honored each and every time.

UNTIL NOW. For the first time, we booked a Hyatt property. As we have done in the past, we researched the property, called and requested the unit we most wanted. We were told there was no one scheduled to be in that particular unit and that they would note our request -- that it SHOULD NOT be a problem. We called several times to check on this request and were told the same each time

Yesterday, my fiance called to remind them about our request and NOT ONLY DID THEY SAY THAT THE UNIT WE REQUESTED WAS NOT the unit we are assigned, but also -- WE ARE BOOKED IN A UNIT ON THE BOTTOM FLOOR! I HATE staying on the first floor of any property and have not had to do so in many years. The noise above is ALWAYS a problem. . I have been on the telephone with the front desk staff for hours and NO ONE has attempted to solve this issue.Their attitude is "too bad, it's policy to put Intervalguests wherever...."

I am hoping this experience is not indicative of the customer service at the resort. I don't think I am asking too much to want a room on the top floor but they are acting as if I am requesting a luxurious penthouse for the price of a standard room. They keep telling me that they can't change the room assignment and that the room was assigned when we booked through Interval -- that the unit number on the reservation is the one that we "purchased." BUT the most curious thing -- the units we are assigned do NOT coincide with what is on the reservation -- that tells me Hyatt DOES have the latitude to move people from one unit to another if there is a preference.

Perhaps this IS a somewhat complicated process, but I always thought the business of hospitality was to have a guest leave feeling satisfied. I typically do not complain but this has me feeling so angry. I would think a Hyatt resort would want a Marriot owner to leave feeling that Hyatt is AT LEAST as interested in satisfying guest requests as is Marriot. On top of everything, they are making us move from one unit to another halfway through our stay. When I called Marriot/Interval Guest Services (at Hyatt's suggestion), they were quite surprised by the reaction of the people at the front desk and, of course, said that this would never happen at a Marriot -- they also said that if someone told us we could have a specific room -- even if it's not hotel policy -- the hotel should make EVERY attempt to honor our request. The clincher for the guest services representative was that they assigned us two separate rooms instead of leaving us in the same room for the duration of our stay. My last hope is that someone (who has the "power" to change our room location) at the Windward might see this posting and understand how important it is to honor a request that was granted by hotel staff, whether or not the staff member was qualified to make such an arrangement. As a business owner, I know that the customer should feel as though they are important and well cared for. This has not been the case so far. Mostly, I feel like a pain in the @@@ every time I call to let someone know about my dissatisfaction wi th the room assignment. At this point, it's the principle of the matter -- as a guest, I would like to be treated as though I matter.

I will certainly follow up with a thorough review of the property. Let's hope the staff has the ability to provide the sort of service we are used to receiving at Marriot properties! I am having a difficult time believing the following -- which I found on Hyatt's website "Our goal is to deliver in every interaction an experience that builds positive, long-term relationships with you, our customer." So far, Hyatt rates WAY below Marriot in customer service!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Naplesinlove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed at the Hyatt Windward Pointe. Really nice condo's - two bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen, balcony, washer/dryer. No noise from airport inside condo. Maid service came in every day which was nice. Beautifully decorated, spotless. They also provided dish and laundry detergent,paper towels. Telescope on balcony was nice touch although we didn't use it as the people in the condo across from us kept closing their drapes : ) Small but nice pool, table tennis, shuffleboard and pool table outside in pool area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank TheWebSlayer
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

Let me say that we loved the size of our suite, loved to be able to cook in our room if we chose, and loved the outside eating/sitting area. The hotel grounds are well kept and beautiful.

I would say that the place is in need of some refurbishment. The carpet in our master bedroom had seen better days with large spots on the floor, too noticiable. The appliances are outdated as well, but mostly usable.
I also had trouble getting the stove to work and the safe to be operable. Contacted the front desk and they took care of the issues in under a few hours.
I would give this place a 4.0 star feel because of the living areas and the views, but again, needs some updating.
Would go back, almost like being at home! Key West, NEVER gets old, love the place, been there many times! Now, if we could just cross Keywest with Hawaii, we would be in 'keywaii'!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank coldinerie1
Stow, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

This was my second stay at this property. Great two bedroom suites, almost like a fully furnished condo. Pool very nice with views of ocean.
Only drawback, opposite end of island to Mallory Square. No shuttle like most properties, therefore either need to pay for a cab if you plan to bar hop, or drive & pay to park.

• Stayed June 2011