“WESTWINDS ......... a Paradise within a Paradise!”
Review of Westwinds Inn

Westwinds Inn
Ranked #44 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Forsyth, Missouri
“WESTWINDS ......... a Paradise within a Paradise!”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I booked accommodation at Westwinds through the internet and so I didn't know what to expect, except for the pictures on their website. The friendliness of Westwinds was first apparent in my email questions before my stay. Susie was extremely helpful with my queries and very patient with my uncertainties. When the taxi dropped me off at Westwinds in the dark I felt I was immediately in an oasis, and as I climbed the steps of the elegant Victorian porch I felt completely at ease. I found my key left exactly where Susie said it would be and I felt at once at home climbing the stylish staircase to the graceful landing .... and when I opened the door to room 103, I gasped in wonder. It was Perfect! Thence my week of complete satisfied bliss started. I settled into that light, airy and comfortable room with its attractive wicker furniture, bright bedspread, colourful pictures on the walls and quietly unobtrusive air conditoner, just like it was "home". My room was in the main house of the compound and I felt so elegant in such attractive and stately surroundings. Walking to breakfast each morning was pure heaven ... along paved walkways and through tropical plants to the succulent poolside buffet. Two areas of attractively adorned tables were set out for us to enjoy our meal of obviously very fresh fruit, toast, bagels and pastries accompanied by tea, coffee and fruit juices, with the added luxury of daily newspapers for our pleasure. Kind and friendly staff were on hand to help with any problems and there was always a gardener busy with the pool and foliage for our benefit. Nothing had been missed for our ease, from the laundry/ice maker room to the comfortable lounge and library areas. Poolside was clean, neat and quiet, except for the tropical noises of crickets and birds! Housekeeping services were prompt and efficient and kept me fully stocked with the necessities of soap/shampoo/cups/toilet paper, as well as keeping my room clean, neat and tidy. My bed was not only attractive with its wicker headboard and beautiful coverlet and shams, but extremely comfortable with good quality sheets and pillows. My bathroom was comfortable too, leading from the room through a sliding door and comprising a large shower with a built in seat, commode and a large sink with nicely appointed fixtures. The elegant room, quiet neighbourhood and peaceful house lent for very relaxing and restful nights at Westwinds. The no young children, no pets and no smoking rules made it extremely comfortable for me. And the location is perfect with just a few short blocks' walk to busy Duval Street, to the piers or to the beach. No other word for it but .....pure BLISS! The staff at Westwinds would go out of their way to be of help and it was no trouble, for instance, to provide me with an umbrella when it was raining. On more than one occasion I was assured by Management that the staff would do everything they could to make my stay comfortable and I was only to ask for anything I needed. Which wasn't much, because the Managemet and Staff at Westwinds have thought of everything! If you are looking for a pleasant, pleaceful place to stay in Key West in a quiet and elegant neighbourhood, then this is IT!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My stay at Westwinds was rather enjoyable. The dual A/C in every room was a pleasant escape from the humidity of Florida during the summer and the pools were quite relaxing. The scenery in the area was really nice as there were a multitude of trees surrounding the area to help shade you from the heat as well as add a sort of comforting feeling of being in a tropical area. The staff there was very friendly and helpful during my stay. There were very knowledgeable about the various activities around the area that a vacationer might enjoy. Overall it was an excellent experience and I would highly recommend Westwinds Inn to anyone looking for a lovely stay for a reasonable price in paradise!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Venice, fl.
Reviewed June 1, 2010

MY DAUGHTER AND I STAYED THERE 2 NIGHTS AFTER COMING IN ON THE KEY WEST EXPRESS from Ft. Meyers. It's close in to the docks and about 5 blocks to Duval St.. Our room was cute Key West style colors and very clean. The maid even washed the stain out of my daughters shorts. I loved the grounds with 2 pools. One was heated and the large L-shaped pool had a waterfall and in the center there were large, lush palm trees and foliage. It was immaculate. Because I over slept, they made me an extra large pot of coffee and brought it to my room. They even let us keep out luggage there until our boat left at 5:00PM. Very romantic spot! There is a beautiful area for breakfast with many shaded tables. Well priced for Key West and the location.

• Stayed May 2010
Atlanta
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Go to the Westwinds Inn with low expectations you will not be disappointed.
We had the dubious pleasure of staying in Room 121
This "shabby chic" property with rooms furnished with the leftovers of estate sales and equipped with garage sale odds and ends was something to behold.
It was unfortunate that our stay preceded the annual room cleaning; it was interesting to view dirt and dead insect specimens in all the room corners and behind doors. the daily room "servicing" left a lot to be desired the room attendant did not subscribe to the practice of washing used glasses and plates or emptying the trash.
The bathroom was a clever half-step down (a fun jolt in the dark), the paint crusted door lock was temperamental refusing to work most of the time. The mis-matched fixtures and corroded faucets made for a pleasant bathroom experience.
Our suite (?) was cooled by two aging ,wheezing,clanking air conditioners.
The bed was uncomfortable and covered by thin, ill fitting linens
The giant 25 inch flat panel TV was wall mounted with a nice artistic display of the power and antenna cords dangling down.
The daily continental breakfast was challenging made all the more "continental" by the absence of plates.dishes, clean cups and one morning all of the above but with no sugar for the coffee. The staff just shrugged it off as an unfortunate circumstance.
The tables and chairs in the courtyard areas were dirty and stained and we were lucky enough to surrounded by smokers most mornings.

We stayed here on the recommendation of an now ex-friend.

All this for only $225.00 per night.

Never again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PhilAtlanta
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed May 20, 2010

We took the ferry down from Ft Meyers Beach and had reserved rooms at Weswinds Inn sight unseen. We were pleasantly suprised. The grounds are done in garden style and there are two pools, one heated (the spa) and one not heated. Very peaceful and pleasing to the eye. The help was wonderful, the breakfast was around the pool and well done. The inn is really a series of smaller buildings with two or so rooms per building. The rooms were well maintained. It is also only three blocks from where the Ferry let us off-- very walkable. Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2010

The Westwinds is Old Town at it's best. It's a lovely, lushly landscaped B&B, with two pools and a comlimentary continental breakfast daily. It's clean, quiet and so relaxing. I thought the rate was perfect, especially after I looked at other B&Bs and hotels on line. The location is excellent. There's a large, enclosed parking garage just two blocks away. The old seaport and the marina are about 3 blocks away, with boats for fishing trips and good, casual restaurants. It's an easy 5 block walk to the action on Duvall Street. I have no complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I started my experience with the Westwinds Inn back in Jan/2010. Since January I have been using this hotel for all my groups programs in Key West. All my groups have been treated like royalty by the entire staff!. The hotel managers have gone out of their way
to ensure that all of our needs have been met. They have handeled our group needs and
has been on top of EVERY detail.The staff at Westwinds is for sure the best in Key West . Not only the service is exceptional the meals are superb, accommodations 5 star, and all around individual attention far above the norm. My group enjoyed the individual attention shown by the management.

With service , accommodation and location like this we would never go anywhere else! Thank you Westwinds for making all of our visits so GREAT!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business